Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's a bit muddy this morning. I did look in one of the green houses and could do some cleanup this week. I'll need a bale of peat moss and some bone meal and some sifted soil to make a light potting soil. It is a nice day for a drive and I will be leaving for the Airport soon. Living in the country has its perks but two and a half hours to the city is not one of them. I'd rather not but other than that I feel nothing. It is just a long drive that I have done far too many times. Up and down hills and valleys and across twelve bridges in a hundred and fifty miles. I think there is only twelve. It can be slow if it snows hard. Anyway it will be a change. Today I started making puff pastry. I'll finish when I get home. Karin hasn't phoned so I can only presume she is on the plane (s) I will find out when I get there.

Davit
9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I went to the grocery store to pick up some stuff, and thought I might see some miniature roses, without luck. Last year, I bought them for mom, thinking I could cultivate them, and thinking mom with be with us longer than she was. Both passed away. I'm trying to see things that were associated with mom, and was suggested to embrace my sorrow.
Today my seeds came and it brought back memories of sitting on my weeding bench straddling the rows in the garden slowly and meticulously pulling weeds yet taking the time to look around and enjoy my time out there. I remember Cedar Waxwings nesting in one of the apple trees. I remember Jasper sleeping in the shade of the plum tree to be with me. I remember clouds that looked like animals and being grateful for them since I was already sun burnt. I remember the people that passed through my life and spent time out there with me. I remember candle lit suppers with our own produce and wine on the table. Candles in sticks I built in my shop. It was a way to get away from the anxiety and a pleasure when the anxiety and panic was gone. It is still a pleasure, not just a way to cope. It is a lifestyle. A peaceful and satisfying one even if it is hard work. I'm certainly looking forward to spring and being able to spend most of the day outside. Winters are long here even if this one has been very mild. It is late and time to go to bed, I can't think of a more positive note to end the day than this one. 
It is good to be alive and at peace with my thoughts.

Davit.
I watered the lawn last night, and just tucked the hose behind the bushes, instead of wrapping the darn thing around a cradle. Getting a two-prong faucet would help too, since the second hose goes to the back, but I use it less frequently. What's great about today is that I have so much less pain. I thought my back was toast, but just some movement, and not straining it(I did try to lift a huge bucket of water by mistake, against the acupuncturist's advice-it was really just impulsive...) Some Tylenol helped too, and I should be okay after that.
I was angry today, and pulled out some weeds. I know I'm going to feel this in the morning, and could knelt down. I did use the hedge trimmer, and cleaned up a small patio. It's amazing how plants will grow anywhere! I guess it's similar to the recesses of our minds, isn't it? Nurturing the wrong thoughts can lead to problem patterns. Martha Steward has a book about Improving one's life, and she quoted Rick Hanson,who gave a few good tips, in 3 steps. He said we should a) reframe experiences into good thoughts' and all I can remember of his 2 other points are to nurture and savour these thoughts.
I tried to cordon off some flox, since I couldn't get by to the garage, as I visit mom daily. Then I started to weed, and felt better. The overgrown garden actually looks manageable, and might provide a break from all the concerns around the hospital. I couldn't even write a sympathy card, since the Visa was having trouble on the funeral parlour site, to my surprise. The good news is that a doc phoned me at home with questions, and I was happy to answer. Davit was right about learning to deal with failure, in the garden. There are so many competing issues, though. I have to go to bed, since I'm a bit overwhelmed. Night is a poor time to try to resolve things, since I'll worry. Dreaming processes and solves the issues without effort, though, on some unconscious level. So I'm just going to let it happen.
Hi Davit, Comparing might not be what I was doing, but observing. That's since I didn't change my pace. Today I got 2 soaker hoses, so some of the yard work is delegated. I have to patch a hose though, for the lawn. Some more weeding will allow me to plant before Tuesday's rain, so all the soaked area is used for beauty or edibles. I think the irises might be done for the season, almost, although some youtubers suggested one can deadhead them. Mom wanted to start some seedlings in a vase for the garage so lettuce can grow. But who is going to eat all that lettuce?
Now that is funny. You know you are not supposed to make comparisons, that is depressing. I'm overweight and ache all the time and what I get done is what I get done. I also used to be one of those people that ran everywhere. But that is past. Now is now and that is all that counts. 

I lost some plants to neglect since I can only do so much. It doesn't matter, there are so many and this is supposed to be relaxing. Flowers are starting to open. Some like the tulips are done but others will replace them.

Davit

Sun is shining and there are lots of weeds to pull. Probably going to get a bit burnt.
I noticed our neighbour's fast pace, as he did the gardening for his property. Apparently he owns a number. I stared blankly out the window, wondering, as a work colleague once described me, if he was right about my slow pace. But that colleague left work, never to return, after having a stroke. Although I didn't have a stroke, I was hypertense, overweight, and overdue for a long, long, rest. I left work suddenly. I plan to water a different spot of the garden every 20 minutes, as I have in the past, since I take breaks. Doing some weeding last night was adequate, since if I did that daily it would make a big difference of the tidiness of the garden.
We had a lot of rain over a short half hour, and I tried to re-enforce some of the flowers afterward. I'm so behind that I have kept in the seedlings. Boy I'm tired, and keep having second thoughts amount this renovation. If I can stay the course, I suppose it will be rewarding.

Reading this thread: