Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It rained hard and long last night and will rain again tonight. Farmers aught to like that. If I didn't have raised beds my garden would have floated away. Puddles between the rows now. Sun is out so if the lawn dries I can mow a bit. I think dandelions are done so it won't look so ragged. I have a good crop of hawkweed that I will put dolomite lime on this fall. It takes quite a bit though to kill it. There are a lot of song birds this year but not many humming birds. Not many mosquitoes either. Swallows came and went and I was too busy to notice. Geese have gone to the river. They were noisy.
It is early yet but this could be a wet summer. We haven't had one in a while. Because I want to put in a new well the water table might stay up and then we will have to wait till fall. Not that there isn't other stuff to do.
Weeding is relaxing, just not so in the rain. 

Davit
There isn't much worth posting a picture of yet. The roses in the flower bed died back to the ground but are doing well. I think they will flower soon. The hansa is slow this year. Tomatoes are going to flower now. Last year I had blossom end rot. I have to watch for that this year. There is a good laundry basket of oregano that needs to be dried.
Lemon balm needs to be cut too. If I leave it it will flower soon. Liquorice Hyssop is doing well after being moved, it has tall blue flowers and smells like liquorice. Caterpillars love it. We have a lot of Swallow tail butterflies.
Manure spreader is getting weedy, I need to do it before the flowers get big enough to hide them. Ten of the fifty glads in there are coming up as doubles. Nice bonus. I'm going to feed them so they make big healthy bulbs.
So all is well in the flower beds even though one has a lot of quack grass.

Davit
Hugs.

I don't kneel. I can't on my artificial knees. So I have a little bench a bit higher than the store bought ones. I do as much as I can sitting. Karin has a wagon and I have a wagon for moving stuff. I can weed sitting and even dig potatoes sitting. Today I transplanted Rosemary into the little green house. And 40 standard petunias into flower boxes. It is raining now so they will be happy. Weeded around my yellow rose that is going to bloom this year. It can get quite large yet the roses are tiny. Lilacs are just about done now. Tulips are done. Garden is getting weedy.
Yesterday was a long day so I'm tired today.  To tired to cook tonight, having pizza instead. I don't do this often.
I love the sound of rain. Going to eat my pizza and watch it rain.

Davit.
9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I put some seedling back into the garage, since it's dropping in temperature. There's so much clear away in the garden. The good news is that one of the rose bushes seems productive, after going dormant last year. There must be a dozen buds, at least!
Waiting isn't something I wished to do today. I noticed that when transplanting hostas, a suggestion was to put some type of protectant dust on the roots, but I really wanted to get it done, and went ahead. I feel wiped out after transplanting half the hostas. Not realizing how many I had, I found that half were enough, from the front yard. Unfortunately, the front now looks disproportionate. But I save the plants I wanted. Boy is was painful being on my knees and trying to firm up the dirt. If I had technicolour dreams last night, with Tylenol I'll have more of the same tonight. I have a whole bunch of plant vases, and found a nice clear one, but noted it was chipped. If I was Martha Stewart, this wouldn't happen. I put some of casualties into that vase for a wonderful minimalist accessory to the home. With peonies coming up, I can use them too, as well as irises, and roses.
I don't like waiting either but the funny thing is I have developed a habit of ignoring it. It seems to have come with the CBT. I'm much calmer. I usually just work away at what I'm doing and go to bed if it is a morning appointment or put down what I'm doing if it is an afternoon appointment. It sure beats worry. And worry never changed the outcome of the appointment.

Davit

Ps, I have a bit of money invested in hose and sprinklers and valves. I run two sprinklers and a hose at the same time. The loose hose  is to water green houses and flower beds. Then switch to two other sprinklers. I pump out of my pond.
9 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moving the sprinklers around today.
Getting my clothes washed and notes ready for a doctors f/u appt. tomorrow morning. 
Wondering how my A1c came out this time around..Will find out tomorrow..

Hey I must be bored. I am sounding like Annie..Tomorrow...Tomorrow..Tomorrow is only a day away..

Now I am really losing it..Getting a little punch drunk as they say.

I don't like waiting..

Red..

I use the government weather channel which is fairly accurate.

Davit.
Hi Davit, Do you watch a commercial or government weather channel? I find the news/commercial channels unreliable. It's amzing how much of the garden is shadowed by the fence and small garage, and I'm just beginning to pay attention to that.
Well it says it is going to rain tonight and tomorrow. I'm not supposed to garden for six weeks. Pretty hard not to. So I am making my eye sore. So tomorrow I will try not to. Karin will maybe put in some more seeds. Depends on how bad it rains. Not that much left to put in.
Supposed to freeze friday night so I'll have to light the stove in the green house. Lots of stuff to burn anyway. Saturday or Sunday I'd like to put out the hibiscus.  All chance of frost should have passed by then. The plants are getting pot bound. I really should be making planters to put the last of the Petunias in. I got Richard to weld me a tripod for a sprinkler and now I want another one. It gets the sprinkler above the plants.

Davit

Reading this thread: