Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Haven?t told anyone I?m quitting

10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello there,

I re-iterate all that Roses has just said!  It is indeed YOUR quit, and you must do as you see fit to protect it. 

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke!!!

Love Lolly.  
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi D.

Their is not right or wrong way to quit and when it comes to telling others the decision is yours..I would do what feels best to you and tell others when you feel comfortable doing so..Remember this is Your Quit...I didn't go out of my way to tell friends and family this last time I quit but when I came in contact with them on the phone or in person I let them know that I had Quit Smoking..Funny as it may seem I had no problem telling perfect strangers..I told store clerks and just about everyone else that I bumped into that I was in the process of quitting and after doing that a few times it got easier and next thing you know I was saying I Quit. You would not believe how supportive complete strangers are..Everyone is rooting for us to Quit. So I would have to say telling others especially people I had never met before really helped me with my quit..

Taking it One Day and One Step at a time..

Red..

10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey,

I understand the need to keep quiet about quitting, especially at first. When I started with my quit last year, I told a few people that I felt would be nonjudgmental and supportive. I specifically did not tell any of my family members, for fear that their comments might derail me. (They tend to be judgmental and nonsupportive.  ) I'm not sure how long it was before I felt secure enough to tell them. I'm kind of remembering 4 months, for some reason. 

I think it is helpful to tell at least someone--even just the anonymous people on this forum--so that you will have some people who are rooting for you. At the same time, I think it's important to protect yourself from people who might say things--maybe even in an attempt to be helpful-- that will trigger you to smoke.  

You know what is best for you in terms of disclosing to people in real life. In the meantime, people on this board will be here for you.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,479.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 600 Hours: 20

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have done both.  When I first try to quit (several times) I would tell my friend that I was trying to quit and then I would fail.  The worse part was coming here and letting my friends know I had messed up again.  I have to say most of them stood by me.  I have quit and not telling anyone but that only left the door open for me to smoke again.  I really don't know what the answer is.  This time I was so sick with sinus infection and had a horrible cough.  I thought "you fool all you have to do it quit smoking and all this will clear up."  So I recorded my cough and set a quit date.  I told a couple people and as I got further along I told more.  But I came back here because I knew I would be "home" and with friends.

My cough and sinus problems are gone and this time I am telling myself I am a NON-SMOKER instead of saying I am trying to quit.  So far it is working.

Keep the Quit
Sparky
10 years ago 0 218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi D83510,
Much like HotsiO2 was saying, sometimes it can be a real motivator to tell people you are quitting. Similar to the pledges you can make or making statements that you are a non smoker, by telling others you become accountable for your quit and the goals you have set for yourself.
You definitely know your support network the best, so use those close to you to your advantage.

You have made a real positive step in life and your friends/fam will know that to. They will cheer you on and help you see things through. 

In the end it is all up to you, but as with many things in life, social support can help buffer stress and help increase your accountability.

All the best
10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi again D!!!

I let everyone know that I was quitting and I did so for accountability reasons!  I wanted them to know that I was about to begin a journey that would be one of the hardest things I ever did!  They needed to know that I needed their support and that I may a total son of a grrrrr-bear at times!  Many have gone your route and that's ok, too!  Just remember that this is YOUR quit and you are doing it for you!  If you happen to slip or relapse for a bit, no worries!  At least you are giving it your best shot!  The main thing to remember is that you want to quit MORE than you want to smoke!  If you convince yourself of that you are half way there!  One last thing... if something happens, never quit quitting!  But don't worry about that...  You ARE going to do this! 

Ice water and rewards!!!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,175.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1057 Hours: 4

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 26

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I haven't told anyone I am quitting in fear that if I fail, I'll feel even worse.  I know having a support group is key, which is why I'm here.  I guess what I'm asking is, am I starting off poorly by not getting my friends involved?  I know they wont be disappointed if I fail, but I'll feel worse knowing they were rooting for me.

Reading this thread: