Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Did you know the mushroom as you see it isn't actually the mushroom but the fruit of it. The mushroom is a rather large collection of usually white strings that look somewhat like mould. It can cover acres underground. The common meadow mushroom looks like our domestic mushroom except it has pink gills and a brown spore pattern if you cut the stem short and set it on paper. It is quite good. They grow in old pastures but some times in lawns. With all mushrooms make sure you know what you are picking. The amanita in the button stage looks like a puff ball but puff balls don't have a stem. Giant puffballs can grow to ten inches across. Impossible to mistake that for anything else. Shaggy manes are delicious but although perfectly safe their cousin the alcohol inky is not if you drink with it. The alcohol inky has a chemical in it that stops your liver from breaking down alcohol for days. A cheap drunk but a deadly one. You can buy kits to grow a number of different mushrooms. Fresh mushrooms are better than those in the store and infinitely better than canned. 
One poisonous mushroom (Belladonna) was used by women to give them a pale complexion. Another was used to poison flies. (fly agaric) 

My spaghetti sauce tonight has store bought common white mushrooms in it. 

Davit.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There are all these mushrooms over the small lawn and I'll have to dig them out, so they'll spread.   A tree was uprooted last year, so I guess the roots are eating up the remains, which could spread.
It became dark as someone left us an oregano plant, and some picked to plant for next year.

Cooking some rapini enthused mom, so I hung around since she seemed able.  It's great for the digestive system
I collected most of the tomatoes that remain, and ended up in the dark.  It seemed so much easier, physically, but there isn't much  more to do, than clean the yard, and watch the flowers continue to bloom.
I blinked and it got dark,so I couldn't go out to garden.  

Mom's not feeling well, since I made a mushroom omelette, but didn't cook the mushrooms, and fried stuff doesn't agree with her.

I could have used the oven, but it seems easier to use a frying pan.  The mushrooms were in the frying pan for 15 minutes, so that's probably comparable to the two minutes needed in a microwave.

I might go for a walk, but feel exhausted today, but then a walk can pick me up for a couple of more hours so I can finish dishes, help mom to get ready for bed, and unwind so I feel better rested in the morning.

There's a mushroom recipe which I'd like to try, since I have 8 more ounces of mushrooms, but mom might have temporary aversion to mushrooms, when it was probably the frying, and it's just something I have to work around.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Parsley is a perennial so I just let it die back in winter. but you can dig up a piece and put it in a pot so you have fresh parsley all winter.

Welcome to my world, only I can't kneel. I wish I could but my plastic knees won't let me. Most of the tendons in my hands are broke so although I can pick things up I can't let go. I type with one finger. I can dig potatoes sitting down I can hoe short stretches but have to sit often. A full hour of weeding is about it if it is hot out. I have a few nerves that pinch and half my back is fused. But like you, I still do it. And as you have noticed getting old is not for sissies. There are ways around most everything except getting tired. Pain causes fatigue. I have one leg with pins in half of it. None of these things seem to be a reason to give up, just a reason to slow down. And much as I enjoy my garden it is time to do something different till spring.

Davit alias limp along.
Mom called her sister today, and wished I'd pick some parseley for her. I was reprimanded for not taking it to her sister today, since a whole day would pass.  I also picked some tomatoes, with great difficulty, on my hands and knees.  I realized how much I'm aging, and my limits, as I write this, realize how difficult the winter will be, but I'll pace myself.  A little progress daily will make the garden cleanup easier later.

I can cover the parsley with an aquarium during the winter, if I clean out the stuff that's been in it during the summer, but the bottom is opaque so I'm not sure it's the best solution.

I ask myself regularly what the best use for my time, and just persevere.
I've made a fly trap for the kitchen, but I'll have to take it to the mud room, since the apple cider vinegar is so strong smelling.

I'll buy something from the hardware store which is non-toxic and smelly.  I couldn't get into the garden today, but I went for a walk, and such a simple thing clears my mind!  It's a wonder I have a membership at the gym but I will be getting there tomorrow for a Tai Chi class, which I'm looking forward to.
I was out in the dark with a flashlight, gathering some veggies, but only what resisted being pulled and what I couldn't see.

Strange things that I didn't appreciate from the garden are becoming appetizers.

Today I bought rapini, and cooked them in an oven for a delicious treat.  In the past, I just thought they were strange green plants.
I spread some of that  lime along the hostas, and topped up the yeast mixture for the slug trap.  Tonight's rain forecast had me energetic about putting some triple mix soil along some of the flowers, so they absorb some nutrients, making mom happy when they bloom later this week.

Reading this thread: