Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I stepped out into the garden to take a break for using the computer, since I was wound up.

Later, I went back to the computer for more work, and measured my pulse, finding it had jumped up.  It's amazing what just sitting at a computer can do, since that machine gets the small wheels in my brain spinning faster and faster along with my heart.

Maybe I could by an indoor hyacinth to replace mom's plant which I ignored.  Good news is there is a tomato plant in the garden that took over the hyacinth's vase, which is outdoor, where I unsuccessfully tried to transplant.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Last night a bear got in my flowering crab and broke some branches. It didn't have to because the branches were hanging down where it could reach the apples. It just did because they are too stupid not to. My fault really since I could have put up an electric fence. So it will be bear watch tonight and chase it off. If it doesn't decide to challenge me. Some times they do and then there is one less bear. The government protects them but doesn't pay for the damage they do. Still I have a right to protect myself.

I finished shelling broad beans and the first batch is in the freezer, the second is on the stove to cook before freezing. They are bigger than fava's with tougher skins but are still good. 

So now I have sauerkraut to make with the cabbages I brought in. I also have some organic whole wheat flour to make bread out of today or tomorrow and some apples in the way to make pies with. That will leave Brussels sprouts and Jerusalem Artichokes left with two pumpkins if the bear didn't eat them. There are buckets of apples in the kitchen to press too. Winding down. It will freeze again tonight and then get warm again. I still have tomatoes in the green houses and a squash of some kind. (volunteer)

The next chore is to roll up all the garden hoses and put the pump away. I'll wait for help to pull the line out of the pond, last time I broke it doing it myself. 

It is shining out and warm, a nice day to sit on the deck.

Davit
I gave some astrids some good soil, and watered them at night, since it's a favourite of mom's.  I'm slowly cleaning the garden too, as I've done this week.  I find I can see more with time and practise, such as the actual roots of the plants, if I get on my knees and dig.

As I clean things up, it's almost like arranging a bouquet, but the garden's plants are in the ground!
I had eight people come pick apples which I appreciated since I can't do much of that any more. One was a Reporter and his wife. She really liked the spiral candle stick so I gave it to her. It is nice when people appreciate the amount of time that goes into something. He took some pictures of other stuff. So I guess I'm going to be in the paper again. I did insist in seeing the article first to make sure it is accurate. I'm not sure how I feel about this. You see I do this for my sanity and although I do give stuff away, none of it is for sale. That is not the reason for doing it. It would not be a coping skill anymore if it had a deadline attached and a dollar figure. Just like the gardening, although it is a lot of work there is a lot of pleasure and I stop just short of losing that pleasure. The effect is the same whether it is a half acre or a couple of buckets. 
The sun is out and it appears not to have froze hard enough to get through the rain. Tomorrow will tell. So after a bit of lunch I will go pick the broad beans. I need to get a mailer from the post office so I can ship some Lemon Balm to Ontario to a friend doing benzo withdrawal. If it works for her she will grow it. 
I do still have pumpkins in the garden but they are small, might make a pie anyway. Oh and I will make some more mock mincemeat with the green tomatoes.

20C today, a change from cold and wet.

Davit
quinoa is the only grain that is a complete protein and I have some but don't know how to cook it.

It is going to freeze so as soon as it is dry enough I'll till all the residue under along with 2500 pounds of rotting hay that I bought to add tilth (and more weeds) So basically it is another year over.

Some flowers are self fertile which is good because there are few bees in a green house and no wind. Some flowers like plums are sterile to their own pollen so you need two bushes. 

Corn is pollenated by wind so is planted in a block instead of rows. All squash will cross with each other so it does no good to save seed.

Mother nature gave bees a fur coat to help carry pollen. Bees see ultra violet and can see lines on the flowers we can not. The colour is for us. Mother nature takes care of all of hers.

Birds see colour, deer don't which is why there are no blue or pink deer. Birds see poorly at night like us. Deer see quite well. Deers eyes are very sensitive so bright lights blind them easy. Flowers don't see at all but sunflowers follow the sun across the sky. 

Babbling for something to do. Jelly bag is dripping into a pot in the sink, I'll make Elderberry jelly. 

Davit
With the advent of fall, I'm beginning to clean up the garden.  Deadheading some roses, weeding, so there's less to do later, and in the spring.
Picking a zucchini, I was too late, since it was nibbled by some critter, so I cut away the nibbled half, and will make an omelette.  There's a nice recipe for stuffing it with quinoa.  I didn't know quinoa has value as a protein, since it is from the grain family.

I protected the flowers with some netting, and I'll see if they're there tomorrow.  The netting is yellow like the flowers, so maybe  they'll stay away. 

I also learned the flowers are male and female, and the bees carry the pollen from one to the other.

The garden of Eden appears to be kinkier than I ever imagined
I think gardening takes my mind off the outside world, so I went out again.  I felt confused, since I didn't know what to do so I just did something easy, and it felt better.  The hostas could use mulch, since that keeps some insects or slugs away.
Weeded, secured plants and prepared for the rainfall.  I lost myself in the garden and left behind a lot of fatigue, uneasiness, uncertainty.

I'd like to choose a course to go out once a week, but I'm so indecisive.  This last hour helped me ground myself a bit
My slug trap has worked today, and harvested more slugs.  With expected rainfall, there could be many more tonight, but especially tomorrow night.

I'll make one near the beanstalk, and it might help the birds enjoy eating them, although I don't know is sparrows enjoy slugs.

Reading this thread: