Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well it is getting to be a long day. I had company, a neighbour came over to pick the last of the crab apples for me but the bears beat him to them. I have enough any way. I've pressed out three pails now and have one left to do after I have a quick supper. If it doesn't rain tomorrow he will come over and cut up the tree I want to take out. And if I go skid a log out of the bush he will cut it up for fire wood for me. Might not be in shape to do that though. Anyway except for a few apple to use for mock mince meat I will be done with the apples for another year. Just a few cabbages to get out of the main garden. I think I will sleep tonight.

Davit
Copper strips react with slug slime and burns them. Diatomaceous earth cuts their bellies and that of caterpillars also. Slugs like to hide under things so still the best trap is a board on the ground. They will tunnel under it. They love mulch, it gives them a place to hide. People are cruel, they use paper to trap them and burn it to watch them sizzle. I could never hate them that bad.

It is quite cool outside and windy. I'm pressing my first pail of crab apples for wine. Two or more pails left to do. after I finish a quick bite to eat I'll empty the basket and start grinding the rest. I'd rather be roto tilling but the garden is too wet.
Best to get this out of the way. So much left to do that isn't garden. I have a chicken casserole so I won't have to cook tonight. I'll probably be too tired anyway. Going to take out a frozen pie too. Fruits of my labour :-)

Davit.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have some lime, which is supposed to scare the slugs away, but they're not around, perhaps because of the cold.   It's become dark so I don't have much to do except show off the machine auto permanent pressed hand woven linen from her sister, and the good job the drier did.

Mom had a dream about waking and having it full of holes, and it took some gentle convincing that it would be okay(although I can't find the @#$% manual!  According to the internet, the gently tumbling sound made should be okay to the blanket.
I'm finished freezing apples for pies. Now I have one long day of grinding and pressing crab apples for wine. I went out and got the last of the pumpkins before the bears decide to eat them too. They did eat the last of the rescue crab apples with a minimum of damage but the flowering crab just isn't big enough to support them. I'll be removing it anyway to use in my shop. A neighbour had a tree blow down in his yard in this wind and is going to cut it up for me for firewood. I neglected to ask how much, and what it is. It will be interesting to see if any pieces are good enough for my shop. I've made some real nice bowls and candle sticks out of fire wood. This flowering crab will make the same. The small branches will make a very nice aromatic wiener roast. A pity it will be by myself. I'm still busy so it might not be this year. I keep finding more things to do. I put the pectin I made in the freezer with the juice for later this winter. Jelly is not a priority. Blowing pretty hard, I may have some trees go down. Wet lands and hill sides always have a few dead trees.
There is fresh snow on the mountain tops, I like that even though it means winter is getting closer. The wind is peeling the old plastic off the green house for me. (I want it too, it needs to be replaced) Money, money. Everything costs.
The one thing I do not like is the flies that come in and are a nuisance. That will end soon.

Davit
I have a deepfreeze on my deck because I ran out of room in the other two. This morning I have bear tracks on it. I'm glad they don't know how to open it but I will have to do something about this. Over the years here I've had bears become a nuisance more than once. Some have even contested my right to live here and died for there trouble. I do not like having to carry a gun with me every time I go outside. I'll try to convince it to go somewhere else but if it won't there will be one less bear. It is hunting season and they are legal now. I can see no value or contribution they make. They are destructive and for a lot of people scary. For me they are just a form of stress. One I can do without. Tonight I put my coat on and wait for them.

It froze again last night and today is the last nice day before the rain starts again. I can hear the geese going south now, winter is just around the corner. The next week is rain so I can't till the garden. I can take down the bean teepees if it doesn't rain to bad otherwise it is work inside. There are a lot of pails of apples to press and they are taking up space in the kitchen. I'm tired and in no hurry though I think I'll have another coffee and go see if they did damage to my trees. 

It has been a good summer even though it was too hot. There were very few mosquitoes, wasps were a bigger problem.

Some of the leaves are still green and there aren't that many on the ground, fall may hang on a bit. There is fresh snow on the mountain tops. There will be more likely if it rains in the valley bottom. It looks rather nice but is a reminder that I need firewood. Interesting that my plum tree has orange leaves. The plums although small still taste like plums. A shame without a pollinator there will be no more. I would remove it but it isn't in the way. I will start another sucker though if it has any. Just this time I'll grow it out of the way.

I'll not miss the garden, it is time for a change.

Davit
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs, 

Great to hear you signed up for the Tai chi and will be having a interesting adventure this Saturday..
I would like to hear all about it when you get back. That's if you want to tell us about it.

Have a wonderful time,
Red..

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I didn't do anything in the garden, although I had some laundry to take in , and was exhausted.  I'll bet I'd have slept better with some play time in the garden.

I'm going to start Tai chi on the weekend and was late getting something to read about it from the library.

Saturday was different since I left home without even posting maybe, and then spent the day interacting with people, feeling their pulse, and taking that energy home.

It's a strange thing to be sitting looking at a bunch of lights blinking from a lighted box from a sitting position for hours on end!

It's no wonder I felt better not doing this, but  how do you do without all the stuff we need to do online to get by?  My hands hurt so much I think I'm going to buy a paraffin hand bath, since it costs as much to have a treatment at a clinic or beauty shop.  It really relieved me years ago. 

Weeding hurts too, though but I could fix my work station by getting the better keyboard....so much to do, and so little time.
I wish it was as short and sweet as you say but that is not how it is for me..I spent most days doing medical billing paper work and scanning on my computer..So it is not a choice between work or play on the computer for me. Now one of the doctors wants me to record my bp 3 times a day and input the data every 2 weeks to his patient portal. The other clinic I wanted to start going to computer system portal states I have no insurance. So as you can see I really have to do work on my computer..Just to keep my head above water..I pay over $100 a month for my internet access and would like to not have to spend all day on the phone  talking to all kinds of people and then later spend all evening appealing medical bills and scanning documents into my computer and then later spent more time emailing or faxing  them off to all these different people at these different institiuions that I deal with..If  I was to walk into the new clinic without straigtening this out I would have to pay $200 up front just for just walking through their doors..

So yes I would love to have some fun on the computer but that is not possible because I have to pay for my health care and if something is not right them I have do work on the computer to try to straighten it out...I could just pay them thousand of dollars I don't owe them put than how would I have the money to pay for the internet or the electricy to run it, not to mention food, gasoling and such..

I would love to cut off my internet service but do not think I can because I am so far in to this web that they call the internet super highway that it is not possible for me to get out off it right now..This information super highway is not my friend..I would love to get out of its web..

Red.

If I go over 6 Gig a month then I pay for every kb. And big time so I can't spend all day on the internet. But I could spend all day playing games. The choice is yours. 

Davit
I noticed that too when sitting at the computer..My b.p. and heart go up..Way up

I took a small break and did a little more cleaning up in the beds today..It felt good to be outside in the back yard..away from the computer for a while. I think I need to start limiting my time on the computer. I feel so much better after the small breaks that I take from it. I can only imagine how good I might feel if I spent more time doing others things for enjoyment..This will take a lot of effort on my part.  I think I may have become a computer junkie these last few years without even knowing it. It's so insidious and before I knew it I was hooked..

I wonder if they have support groups for people who are addicted to the internet via their laptop, desktop, cell phone, i pad, notebook etc, etc?  I don't see how a online group would help with this addiction because you would still be on some type of computerized device..and going out to a live group is hard for people with anxiety or panic or agoraphobia..and of course the internet just seems to feed into this condition or way of life as I put it..

I also wonder how many people now have some form of anxiety disorder due their almost constant use of all this media? I would bet the numbers are staggering..

There just may be more people like us now, than not like us?  I think we are becoming the majority..and we are no longer as odd as we might think we are..

Red..

Reading this thread: