Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It rained, so I didn't have much to do, and it's late to grow anything in the garage. I've been trying to focus on getting a renovation done, and watching mom, and sometimes even that's a lot.
Some of this potting soil I laid a bed out in, has peat moss too Davit. The garden guy claimed there was coconut product, and I just ignored his remark. Come to think of it, I looked the product up online, and I would have noted that. It does claim to grow stuff 20% greater, but I don't want growth, just to live comfortably. Wish I'd taken more space from the fence permimeter though, for walking, and weeding, but that would have doubled the space I needed to spade, and I'm already seeing the occupational therapist to patch my hands up this Thursday. Accupuncture could be working for my lower back...how could thousands of years of Eastern medicine be contrived?
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have three flower beds that could use a couple of bales of peat moss and may get it later in the season. Two of them have Iris and Tiger lilies in them. They need to be watered soon. One is full of quack grass but still growing. 

Davit.
I bought much more mulch and potting soil than I needed at the garden store. I guess I was "upsold", but I had a coupon for 10% off. It's all just dirt, I kept telling myself, but I want mom to have something to admire in the backyard, when the flowers from the front are move for some workmen. She'll also enjoy going out a bit. I just wish I was more careful, since I scratched my car bumper, in the cramped garage space, with all the stuff I bought. I supposed it will save going to the store multiple times, or being disappointed if they're out of anything.
The lawn is a nuisance, and I'm measuring the water use today. Placing a minimalist lawn in would be ideal, and I could reslope the front lawn, since it's pointed the wrong way(toward the foundation). Then the downspout could go towards the street, into that minimalist lawn.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Going to pick up some liquid fertilizer at the store tomorrow, for the roses indoors. I guess I forgot the night light. Maybe the light for the hallway will help, so I moved the small plant near that light. I'd feel uncomfortable with anything that used extra energy. Not that I don't waste energy turning lights on all over the place...I would like to keep the plant near mom. I'd also worry about lights being on at night. It's nice to care about something other than mom, for a change.
Using dolomite sand is great for traction, and leeks healthy limestone into the garden, instead of toxic salt. I can't believe how relieved I am to feel the traction.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

Asparagus has a root that looks like Medusa's head. It can store a lot of energy. It produces shoots off this energy in the spring. A well established crown will send up shoots for months and then in summer they are allowed to leaf out and replenish the energy back into the root. The shoots off home grown are larger and tenderer than store bought. Commercially the crowns are planted deep so they can be tilled over to keep weeds down and fertilized heavy to get maximum cropping. The quality is just not there. A crown will produce for forty years if cared for and can be divided every five. They grow anywhere rhubarb will. Weeds are the only problem. Grass being the worst. We do not have asparagus beetle here. They produce seed readily. The ferns go nice with cut flowers. I have never bought potato seed. Seldom buy pea seed and my raspberries are from stock over fifty years old. Heritage plants that produce large berries right into fall. Plants grow over six feet tall. They take little care and produce well. 
I've been doing this so long I don't know how not to. I planted my first garden fifty five years ago.
So I was horrified to see how much food in the stores has gone down hill. Mostly because it has to be able to survive machine harvesting. Every one should have a garden. Besides it is peaceful. You might be interested in companion planting. Some plants grow better together, some die. Some produce their own nitrogen and will share it on nodules on their roots. Peas and beans do this. 
For all the talk of organic, the only real organic is if you grow it yourself. I imagine you will be gardening before me. Not counting my green house.

Davit.
Davit, I never thought of perennial quality of some veggies, making pay off in the long run. And 150 dollars buys very little food compared to growing. As for the value of immersing oneself, versus going shopping, I don't think anyone really likes going shopping, at least in a large city.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yesterday I ordered the seeds, lots of seeds. A hundred and fifty dollars worth. But then it is a big garden and how much food can you really buy for that much. There are fifty bulbs in that order too though.
I'm going to try growing Valerian also. There are somethings that really save money and some things I grow just because they taste so much better. Asparagus comes up every year and has been doing that for almost fifteen years so you could say it is free. Potatoes cost a bit for the peat moss I put in with them. But the seed potatoes are mine and free. I do save some seeds and most of the flowers are perennials. This summer I have some one to share the chores so it will be easier than last summer. I remember the heat being real bad and being outside still when it was getting dark. Things should be better this year. I'm still hoping to build a potato hiller for my small tractor to save work. I have some garden hoses that need replacing too. 
I'm looking forward to it and fortunately so is she. And good food is so much better when you can share it.

I really should put some Dolomite in the garden this spring.

Davit

Reading this thread: