Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,553 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It rained some time last night but is nice now with the sun shining. I peeled and froze apples all morning and have picked another basket full for when I come back from town. I'm going to pick some small ones to press. The sun is supposed to shine for a few days so I'll drag the press back outside and press on the deck. I need to water the green house too. Just enough to keep the tomatoes alive since right now I'm watering off the well. I want to mow the lawn before hooking up the water line again.

Davit
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I harvested many heritage tomatoes, did some weeding, and just lost track of time gardening this evening.

Watching the movie "Stuck on you" made me realize how much I wish to be accepted, despite my handicap.  In that movie, two conjoined twins try to live as though they're normal.  Watching actress Eva Mendes accept them was wonderful!
This pie apple is just over half a pound. And there are lots this size. It makes it easy to process when they are this big. A few cranks of the peeler and it will be peeled cored and sliced. Cut in four the slices are dipped in a brine of salt and ascorbic acid so they don't turn brown and then froze in bags, enough pieces for two pies.

It is very hot again today so I sat in the shade and threw crab apples for Jasper to chase. I did pick a basket of these nice apples though. I'll peel them later. It is getting windy now. No rain in sight.

Davit
It is finally cooling off. It was hot here too. Not that hot but still hot. I have the doors open because I made pies and froze apples. Right after supper I have to press the raspberries to get the juice out of them. Then I have to clean the press. Tomorrow is a long day away from home so no gardening or picking apples. I'd rather be picking apples. Supposed to be cooler tomorrow. Still lots to do.

Home made sauerkraut for supper with store bought hot Italian sausage. I don't have the material or the time to make sausage any more. But I still make sauerkraut. I make it in one gallon jars. It is so much better than the store bought stuff. It has colour and isn't mushy. Anyone can do this, all it takes is rock salt and two four pound cabbages and a sharp knife. 

There is a crop of little mosquitoes that show up in the evening now, so I closed the doors. I have to make pesto Friday or Saturday. I can't put it off any longer. I have Rosemary and Thyme to harvest too. Green house needs watering too.

Still having fun.
Davit

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not much gardening going on here today..It hit 108 degrees today. We did put in a extra support for our new tree today and gave it some extra water..It's 6pm here right now and it still 100 degrees out..

Red..
I sprinkled pepper on the leaves of the beanstalk, since it seemed insects were eating them.  Hopefully, the pepper won't travel to the roots, and harm the plant, but be eaten by whatever is feeding on the plant.
Sitting in the garden with my new cat who is going to replace the one who died this spring I realized that he is unique and no where who Thomas was and I did not make the mistake of saddling him with the name of the cat he is replacing. I didn't want another cat but he showed up four months ago needing a home and very scared. So he has one now. 
When I was healthy many years ago I was much like a cat. Independent, Sleep where ever I was, go where ever I wanted and enjoy life as best as it offered. Well not so anymore. I'm attached to this piece of the earth I call home for various reasons mostly fear of leaving where I'm safe but also the fact that I am too old to start over again. And I will never have the money again. So like a cat that got old My territory got smaller but not my routine. I sold most of the land and equipment and like a cat rearranging the bed I've made myself comfortable. The difference is I know why, a cat just does it because it has to. So I let Jasper roam and come in when he wants to because too soon he will be down sizing also. I don't know if cats have memories but I hope so because that is all you have when you get old. So here I am with a routine I'm comfortable with and a garden I can sit in and think of past gardens yet not live in the past. Todays garden is todays. It is smaller but the principles are the same. The object is still the same. To do the best I can with the resources I have and enjoy the accomplishment. People need to feel they are doing something worth while or it just becomes labour. People need to have a reason to live and it doesn't have to be a garden. It can be taking care of a dog or grand children. What ever gives them purpose. Spouses and cats don't count, they are too independent so they need something else. As you can see, for me that is gardening and related things. It is why I'm making wine and cider I will end up giving away. It is why I have to wash out and plug in my third deep freeze. Gardening gives me purpose that I have not found elsewhere. That said I have to go to town for a monthly blood test to see how I'm standing up to the riggers of old age and then I will shop because it is going to be too hot to do what I would rather do which is scratch in the dirt. There is plenty to do out of the sun anyway. Stuff to put away. Apples to make into pie filling. Basil to make into pesto. I will be pulling the plants out this time.

Davit
Hi Vincenza,
This overwhelmed feeling comes as a combination of many things.  Regrets about not focusing on "better" things makes me too self-critical.  Also, there's so much I wish to get done. 

I'd like to plan some "me" time, since summer was pretty lonely.  I feel somewhat better when I'm in a night course, of some kind.  What frustrated me though was that I just didn't move along in the summer project to get a contractor for a porch, and now they're so busy.

I'm not sure what I need, but maybe some rest will help.
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love the smell of garlic..I sauté it lightly in olive to flavor the oil..before adding other ingredients in some of my recipes..Also we shred zucchini and add it to salads sometimes..They do this at some of the salad bars we have here.

Red

Hmmm. it would be like delicata or spaghetti squash. I grow them too, but they are slower.

Davit.

Reading this thread: