Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,555 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit, 

You could also use a grater (the side with the largest holes) or a special julienne peeler.  
Let us know how your dish turns out if you try it!

Hugs - breaded and lightly fried zucchini flowers are one of my favourite dishes!  My Italian aunts often make it as a special side dish - though I don't know of  a specific recipe to share but I'm sure you could find it online.

I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed today.  Why do you feel disappointed?  Did you have flooding in your house as well?  
What can you do to help welcome in the Fall as opposed to feeling overwhelmed?  What Fall activities do you enjoy?

Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Garlic is one of those things that grows well here. Bulbs often reaching 8 ounces and selling for three dollars each. Or 6.00 a pound for organic garlic. I'll plant it among my asparagus because it won't get disturbed there.

Davit
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Zucchini it use it lots of ways..I sauté it with some red onion and red bell pepper or carrots and have it on a plate as it is with pasta and diet marg or olive oil or I put the filling in a omelet with a little cheese. I also saute red onion and zucchini add it to spegettic sauce instead of meat..I also use it in vegetarian Chile in a recipe that I got off the American Diabetes Association site. This recipe is considered and heart wise chili too..I though I would share the recipe while anyone who is interested..It is my favorite so far..

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes..

1, tablespoons canola oil
1, medium onion chopped
4, carrots sliced
1, green bell pepper chopped.  I leave out the bell pepper.
1, zucchini chopped
1, tablespoon chili powder
1, 16 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1, 16 ounce can of black beans rinsed and drained  
Or use two 16 ounce can of any beans, your choice, use what you have on hand.
1, 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
2, 14.5 ounce cans no salt added diced tomatoes in juice

1. Heat oil in large soup pot or skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and carrots and sauté' 5 minutes. Add green pepper and zucchini and sauté' another 2 minutes.
3. Add chili powder and and all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
4. Cover, reduce heat and simmer on very low setting 30-35 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

Serves 8: Serving Size = 1 Cup   179 calories, 33 g carbohydrate, 9g protein, 3g Total Fat, 0 g Saturated Fat,
0 mg Cholesterol 492 mg Sodium, 10g Dietary Fiber..

This my favorite health chili recipe
and it quick and easy to make.
Hope you enjoy it.. 

Red..

p.s. they do add 2 garlic cloves minced and sauté for 30 seconds right before step 3 but I omit this part from the recipe when I make this delicious chili..

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit/Vincenza

I guess I meant I didn't know about that delicate flower, since I have made an omelette with a zucchini, at least.

I'm so detail-oriented that I miss those big pictures and perspectives necessary in life

I could have left the plant growing on our side, since it might stress the lattice, and the fence isn't in the greatest shape.

I'm feeling so overwhelmed today, since I noticed our neighbour was working on waterproofing their basement after flooding.  The contractors are so busy, it's hard to get stuff done, and I'm disappointed.  I realize at another level that this isn't that urgent, since these guys work around the seasons.

Some of this is the conditioned reflex to the return of people from summer hiatus to the frenzy of activity in fall.

It's like I used to be consoled "I have my own emotional timetable".
Vincenza

I have a pasta maker so will give that a try. I'm guessing I cut it thin with the skin to hold it together when I put it through the machine. Or not? Well something to play with. I have a meat slicer to cut thin slices for frying. One thing about zucchini is I can waste lots and not feel bad. And like most squash, I can always make moch pumpkin pie.

Davit
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs, 

Yes, thinly sliced zucchini is delicious lightly fried on both sides.  If you happen to have a pasta maker machine (or something equivalent), you can put a zucchini through to make it into spaghetti and cooked it likely like you would a pasta dish.  Enjoy!
Vincenza, Health Educator
Hugs.

Dill zucchini soup. Clear soup and easy to make.

boil 1 large onion chopped and a cup of chopped up carrots and a stick of celery chopped with two heads of dill. In another pot boil I medium potato cut in coins with 2 cups of large zucchini cubes till zucchini is done. Potato coins should still be crisp but not hard. Use another pot if you have to. Take out the dill and combine the two throwing away some of the water. Pepper to taste and you can add ham but it is optional. No salt, there is sodium in the celery.

You can put grated zucchini in cake. You can fry it in coins or long thin slices if it is large. You can cut off the last four or five inches if it is large and stuff it after taking the seeds out. Stuff it and stand in boiling water for 15 minutes or till a fork pierces it easy. Stuffing has to be pre cooked as 15 minutes isn't enough time.

Davit

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I weeded 100 square feet of garden with a garden hoe.  Using a hedge trimmer isn't allowed after 7pm, but it allowed me to discover how easy it is without the noise, weight of the trimmer.

Send the neighbour's zucchini plants back through our fence to them will make them happy, since they are growing so quickly.  I don't know how to cook them, although I've hear the fried ones are delicious!

Maybe I'm more civil without the power tool.
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I spent some time relaxing this afternoon while hand watering the garden, which is my favorite distraction right now..

Red..
Too much water splits my tomatoes and my cabbage. In fall I give the cabbage a twist to break some roots so they don't take up so much water. Tomatoes are in the green house so I just don't water them. They are the only things that split.

Davit

Reading this thread: