Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Lousy Day

15 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Caden,

I felt the same way, aint anxiety a taxing thing to take on?  But you do have the strength, otherwise you wouldn't be here to vent, get and give hope.  It's there, it's just hidden in the background giving you little pushes and nudges.  I still feel different from everyone else, now I just figure that's because we all are in one way or another.

I try use the times when I have nothing going on to challenge my anxiety.  Figure if I have nothing else to do, take 30 minutes to find peace.  30 minutes a day, seems to keep the doctor at bay.  I still believe in you Caden, you're much stronger then you let yourself believe, you just have to let yourself believe it!

Good luck with the new therapist, let me know how it goes.  This new year will definitely bring hope, it's the year to start our dreams, whatever they may be.

Cheers,
15 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

hey cm

reading your post reminds me so much of myself, i feel the same when at times i dont even no who i am anymore or what i want to achieve etc.where does all this strength come from??? i cant answer that 1 either. everyday there is part of me that wants to give up but i have never done it no matter how close i have been to.

i definately agree with you that the nights are the worse and it is because there is hardly anything to do, and nothing to keep the brain occupied, i suppose it is because it is meant to be a wind down time, are there any suggestions in what we could do at night to make them a bit easier so we dont feel as sad?? 

i am going to a therapist and going to look into my diet and do more exercise for my new years resolution, new year new start a???

hope you are having a good day today

x

15 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Ya Joe:

I can't tell you how many times I have felt like giving up, I honestly don't know where I get the strength to go on.  Like right now.  Have you ever felt so different from everyone else, at times I don't even feel like myself (not that I feel like someone else) not just me. 

I think the nights are the worst because during the day I can busy myself going out for walks here and there but at night where there are no distractions, I feel the anxiety, the sadness more.  Sure I can give little quotes now & then but deep down inside I'm falling apart.  

I am looking for a new therapist as I think it's time for some help.   Let's hope this year brings some hope.
One thing I will give you Caden, you don't give up.  Through it all, you still have a way of coming back with a great attitude.  Thanks for the little inspirations you give.  When you find what you want to do next, you'll be a force to be reckoned with...
I like that quote too, hope the new year brings something we've always had, but can't seem to get enough of!
Cheers

Hi Ya Joe:

A big congratulations on coming to that epiphany - shall we say.  I can relate to what you are saying as I have learned trying to fight against this is no good, the trouble with me is I don't know what to do next.

I bought yet another book today "The Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety" - A Guie to Breaking Free From Anciety, Phobias & Worry Using Acceptance & Committment Therapy - wow what a long title!

Right in the first page of chapter one I found this quote which I think is very appropriate to all of us who live with Anxiety/Panic Disorder.  The authors said "It was based on Hayes, Strosahl & Wilson, 1999) and goes something like this:"

If I continue to do what I've always done, then I'm going to get what I've always got.

The authors advice is for people to write it down and keep it with us.  Good advice I know for one will be.

All the best for the New Year Joe

Hi Ya Karla:

Sorry to hear you are in the same boat as me, but I would like to offer you some words of encouragement.  I too suffer from Panic Disorder since March/08, I used to get oh at least 4 or 5 PA's daily and the majority of them were full-blown.  On a scale of 1-10 they felt like an 11.  I never thought I would get to a point were I wouldn't have daily PA's but I did & you can too. I used to be afraid of almost everything the wind, the clouds blocking out the sun, going down to our basement.  With Cognitive Behavior Therapy (no meds by the way)  & I won't kid you a lot of hard work and perserverance the PA frequency started to decrease to the point I am at today where if I'm really stressed out I might - I said might get one.  But in no way are they of the same strength or duration as they were back then.  I guess what I'm trying to say is you can & will get through this, if I can you can.

As  for Hypnotherapy I can only speak for myself but it's not an option I would consider.  I am writing my college essay on alternatives to medication for anxiety, depression and panic disorder.  Maybe the moderators would like to comment on my findings, I have read good things about Lemon Balm and Theanine, both have calming properties and are not addictive. Lemon Balm has been around since the Greek times & Theanine can be found in green tea which we have heard about the benefits of drinking green tea.

Like so many people have told me, just try to take it one day at a time.

Heya Caden,

I feel ya, kids and animals have a way of lifting the mood.  Think it's the innocence that does it?

Yes, I definitely did see setbacks as a never ending battle.  Something I would have to deal with forever, and as such they meant I would have no relief, no way out, that I was permanently disabled.  The thing that changed my outlook was redirecting my anger at the anxiety, rather then myself and the people/situation(s) I was in.  The way I figured, the people I love made me mad, happy, sad, whatever, just like everyone does...just like I do to everyone else.  But these people, these people I want to be in my life.  The anxiety however, I don't.  So rather then getting angry at them, I changed it so I was angry at the anxiety for making me take things the way I was.

Realizing this was helpful wasn't something I picked up on right away.  All I picked up on was that I wanted the people I love to continue to be a part of my life.  And since I'm spending all this energy on anxiety and all that follows, then I'll spend twice as much on family and myself.  Mind you, it's actually probably more 100x the energy to work on myself rather then anxiety, but some things are worth it.  Now instead of asking why am I going through this, or what I could have done differently, I'm actively doing something different.  But this is hard, considering doing something different means doing things I'm scared to death of, it means being uncomfortable...but I'm slowly finding comfort in the uncomfortable, and that is worth more then words.
15 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

hey cm

i really am relating to you about the bad out weighing the good, i have the odd really good day followed by the never ending bad days and sumtimes it just seems so hopeless, it is never going to end. i argue with my fiancee because of it because i am sooo down and depressed and anxious most of the time and it ruins everything. iv only had panic attacks for about 11 months but boy does it seem a lifetime, i cant imagine my life without them, what did it use to be when i bnever had them?! 

i have changed as a person since iv had them im moody most of the time, very short tempered, stressy, i used to be for a laugh a fun going person but not anymore, i constantly worry something bad is going to happen to me and my family and am always asking myself what did i do to deserve these, why me??? is there something i could of done differently?? so please dont think your alone even when it feels like it, maybe try talk to your mum make her understand cause these things are awful, i dont wish it on my worst enemy.

i am going to also enquire about hypnotherapy for my depression and panic attacks. would you consider it??

hope your ok

karla xx

Hi Ya Karen:

Thanks for being there and your suggestions.  I did complete Relationships and Resolving Disputes but when I tried to view the Communication Analysis Worksheet from my toolbox I got the following error message.  
NotFound.aspx

Once again I really appreciate your feedback.
15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cadenmccallum,

Sorry to hear that you are having relationship problems with your mother.  I recommend you take this time to work on the Expectation and Communication Analysis Worksheets (in your toolbox) to think about your situation in a little more detail.  As you learn more about your disputes, ask yourself if there is anything you'd like to change about expectations (both your own and your mother's) and how you could improve the outcome of your interactions.  Let us know if this helps.  Members have any advice for Cadenmccallum?

Hang in there, you will get through this!

Karen, Health Educator

Reading this thread: