Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Lousy Day

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CM,

Sarah has asked you some good questions to help you rediscover what things you did in the past that made it easy for you to let things go and not bother you.  Have you given the questions some thought?  Reflect back again and write them down and see how they fit or can be adapted into your current situation.  Don't give up, keep trying and see what works for you.

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ya Sarah:

I remember exactly why, it's because I felt accepted as part of the group.  I had a strong sense of belonging, I was at ease with myself.  It wasn't that I was aware of my negative thoughts more or challenging them.

For I think the first time in my life I was comfortable with myself, the sense of belonging it was an amazing feeling.  One which I would like to get back but don't know how to.

Right now I feel kinda strange shall we say, the only way I can describe it is sort of  punchy, lightheaded.  

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CM,

It sounds like you really enjoyed how you reacted to things during that time at 2002. If you look back at that time, what were you doing differently? What made it easy to let things go? Were you more aware of your negative thought processes? Were you able to challenge them before they became impossible to ignore? As you reflect on these questions you may begin to understand what can be done differently. If you were able to do it before, it means you already have the tools and the experience, you just have to reacquaint yourself with them!

Members, any other suggestions for cm on how to let go?

Sarah, Health Educator

Hi Ya Sarah:

Thanks for your response, I guess looking back about the only thing I could have done was to try and let all the upsets not get to me, let them go.  Having said that I have never  - well I shouldn't say never there was a very brief period in my life in 2002 after being in a severe depression where I was able to let things go. Boy remembering back it was such a liberating feeling, nothing seemed to bother me, it just slid off my back.  I was more at ease with myself, more confident and outgoing.  It really was a good time, trouble is it didn't last and I resorted back into my old ways of low self-esteem and not being able to let go.  I know this is one part of me that requires a lot of work.

Any suggestions?

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cm,

It sounds like you have had a bad day, I am sorry to hear that. A lot of the events that were difficult for you today were because of other people, not your own actions. It is important for you to understand in situations such as these that you can only control what you do. If you reflect on your day, was there anything you could have done that would have made the day more positive?

It is good to hear your professor has emailed you back. Have you prepared what you will say when you go and meet him? Perhaps writing down what you would like to cover with him would help ease any of your anxiety that you may have that day.

Hopefully tomorrow will go much smoother for you!

Sarah, Health Educator

Hi Ya Breanne:

I did get a response from one of my professors who said he would like to meet to discuss the event.  I will email him tonight to set up a time. As for being proud of myself, ah no.  After the day I've had I feel more like a failure than anything. 

You know what I'm actually worse off than the people taking anti-depressants (ad), at least they are getting help.  Me on the other hand who has read so much and frightened the wits out of myself about the possible side effects would drive myself crazy at having to take an ad.  At times I think how much more can I take, I have battled Panic Disorder and thought I mastered it.  Depression and now it seems at times I have to battle all three, way too much for any person.  I can't stand putting mum through this anymore, she has me to deal with and pappy who has dementia.  What a pair she has.

Hi Ya diva:

Not feeling very strong at this moment, had a very panicky day.  I just panic at the least thing now, I'm feel like back to the way I was in 2007.  I don't even feel like me anymore, my brain was in overload today.  I told my mum I was surprised I found my way home, it's been that bad a day.  First in psychology class the dominant one in the group process keeps talking & talking not about anything that relates to the topic of course.  I think he likes to make out he knows an awful lot & listen to himself talk.  Oh yeh the teacher is confusing the heck out of us she teaches us from one set of notes and has given us a handout of another set of notes.  Psychology is complex enough without getting taught this way. Then I go to a store to buy something that was advertised and once again they don't have it & never did.  Then I figure I'll go have lunch at this place, it's under construction with a lot of pigeons living there now.  (get the picture - not a pretty site). So now I decide I really want a hamburger to eat so I go there & the place was tore down.  So I decide I'll go for pizza & put my bag on a chair to save the table or so I thought.  I get my pizza & go to the table & this guy sits down in the other chair & doesn't bat an eye. 

So now I figure I go grocery shopping, ok get the item then miss 2 streetcars waiting on the lights.  Finally get on the streetcar, get off to catch another one & miss that one.   I felt like I was in the twilight zone & still do.  You see I can't let go of things in a hurry.  So although I have been strong in the past I don't feel that way anymore.
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CM,

Mum's always know best
Good for you for emailing your professors. That is a big step and you should feel proud of yourself.

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey CM,

I think it is good that you have taken steps to communicate with your teacher about this. She/he can help you figure a way out to be more comfortable in class. And as your mum said, you can always just walk out!

I agree with Karla, you are strong and you can do this, Don't let inconsiderate classmates get in your way. Hang in there hun, it will get better. In life, there are minor setbacks here in there, for everyone, not just anxious people! But you are strong and you will do just fine! Remember, this too shall pass!

Hi Ya Karla:

Thanks for your advice and for reminding me how strong I am.  I forget that so often. 

I will go back over the negative thought session.

Reading this thread: