Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Lousy Day

15 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Heya Caden,

I'm doing waaay better.  I'm doing something I didn't do too much of before, which is to challenge my fears.  I don't mean question the logic behind the fear, I've always known what's logical and what isn't, I mean going out with my chest high saying "BRING IT!"  It's actually kinda liberating...but honestly, I'm still in the learning phase, and this is just what works for me...can't know what works until you go into each one with an open mind!  Opening the mind, that's a hard one...for us, it's more like closing the mind, meaning don't think about it until it's done, and then seeing as many good things as you possibly can.  Yup, I can ramble!

You know, I was recommended to go into psychology and the like way back when I was in high school.  But I always thought psychiatrists led the most boring lives since the tree. Personally, I need something active or I go stiiiiir crazy!  I do enjoy dabbling with psychology, philosophy and the like though.  The more over my head I am, the more I tend to like it.  That's probably why I enjoy reading medical journals, I'm able to get the jist of what's being said, but the facts and figures are just little comic strips for me to go "oooo" and "aaaa" at. 

Kinda funny, a little while ago I wouldn't have thought the same...but the more happiness I let into my life, the more I go back to my roots of who I am.

Whatever happens, the only thing that matters is that you have a tiny little bit of hope.  It may seem small, but in fact it's like water...tasteless, no smell, nothing obviously important...but it's one of three things that makes life on earth possible.  The other's being air and dirt.

Cheers!
15 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Ya Joe:

Well I couldn't go out tonight because it's like an ice skating rink around here & I don't know how to skate.  So I had developed a coping strategy last year with my former psychotherapist which you mentioned.  I sat on the porch & it seems to have worked.  Once again Joe thank-you.  Ever thought of going into the field of social work or therapy?

How is it going with you these days?
Hi Caden,

Well, during the times you can't do anything, you can do what the olympians do:  the training leading up to the race, and just before they race, they visualize the race and the way they want to see it.  For you, it could be visualizing the walk.  Since you can't walk sometimes, you could sit on the porch, or where ever comfortable, and just imagine the walk going really well.  Sounds kinda crazy, but this kinda craziness has lead so many to gold medals...hell, it's lead so many to even be good enough to compete in the olympics!

Your mom sounds really supportive.  I know certain things anger you, like when she says that she thinks you can do better, but...that's a mom.  She's gonna believe you can do better forever.  My mom is the same way.  I used to think "she'll never be happy with the things I do", but in reality, she'll always be happy, but always give me that extra push to something higher.  Your mom really loves you.

Just out of curiosity, are there any hobbies you enjoy doing?  Anything from watching movies, games, books, whatever it may be...

Hi Karla:

Sorry to hear your in sort of the same boat as me. But congratulations on recognizing the way it makes you feel taking time out.  I think that's quite an accomplishment.

I hope you get into therapy soon as it does help. I was in CBT last year for Panic Disorder and being with a psychotherapist gives me the structure I need to enable me to get better.

So good luck.

Hi Ya Sarah:

Thanks for your response.  I wish I could trace it to a specific trigger but can't.  I know since I've started school my moods have got worse because of the types of people I am around.  For instance the other day one in my class who I talk to was going to try and staple my finger - whoa!  Then there was another guy in my english class who I don't know what rock he crawled out from under - so vulgar, reprehensible.  I am angry that I have be exposed to this twilight zone.  I have never in my life come across the likes, if I can complete everything by 2md semester I'm outta there!

Then there is last Friday I had to go for a rather invasive medical test.  I get angry at having been on this emotional roller coaster for nearly 2 years now.  As for the reason(s) being angry with my mum, some times she will say things like I'm not really trying to help myself, or what do the books say or the social workers you're seeing aren't doing you any good.  This infuriates me as I think I try the best I can.  I think mum is always thinking I should or could do better.  I feel like I'm defective for having all this wrong with me and very guilty for putting us through this.  So you see there is a lot of anger, also because I haven't been able to work since Jan/07.

So there you have it a lot of reasons for the anger but the one thing I don't have is a solution or the ability to deal with this because I don't want to be so angry.
15 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

hey i feel like this at the moment, the littlest things are stressing me out which makes me so angry which is bringing on more anxiety and worse panic attaks, exspecially in the evening! i get very panicky in the evening. we do take it out on the people closest to us maybe cause they are easytargets and they care so much and we just trust them so can show any feeling to them!!!

i cant think of any specific situation i have been in that has bought on the anger, i am considering anger managment, but am also on the waiting list for councilling and rewind therapy. i am very depressed at the moment so dont no if this can bring on anger?? it does get you down but is very hard to control, the only thing i am trying is like when i get angry and have a go at my man or daughter (not mother of the year right now which is very depressing) i think of how i felt last time when i did this and how they reacted and walk out of the room it calms you down a bit also the obvious is deep breathing

karla

ps sorry 4 babbling

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CM,

Sorry to hear about your lousy day. When you think about your anger and irritation, was there one event or one interaction that created these feelings for you? You also mentioned that you were not always like this, was there an event that happened that created this anger for you? It is important to reflect on the formation of this anger and how these emotions continue to affect you.

It seems from your posts that your mum is very important to you and essential in your coping. Do you think there is a reason why you fight with your mum in particular, or do you find yourself taking the wrong meaning from what other people say as well?

Members, what has your experience been with anger management? Has anyone else experienced these feelings of anger and irritation? Please share!

Sarah

Hi Ya Guys:

Yes it's me again with another lousy day, this one was full of anger and irritation.  Sometimes the anger is so much it's just all consuming, it's like someone just flicked on a switch.  I wasn't always like this and I don't like it one bit and don't know how to deal with it.  I argue with my mum constantly, I take the wrong meaning out of what mum says. 

Have you guys considered staring a program on anger management?

So many things tick me off & the worst of it is I can't forget about them so the anger just fuels.  Even writing this makes me very sad as I do not want to be this angry and sometimes I don't even know why.

Anyone ever felt like this & if so how did you deal with it?

Hi Ya Guys:

Faryal & Joe thanks for your advice.  I don't think I explained my fear quite right.  My biggest fear is not being able to get out for a walk at night.  I overcame this fear last year with a method I now know as flooding.  My psychotherapist at the time was are of the method I was using and didn't bother to tell me that this could set me up for re-sensitization and it did.  So now that the weather is getting bad and eventually I won't be able to get out at night I have to try and stay in at night. 

A little while ago I started to reduce the length of my walk and I was ok with that.  It wasn't until the other night that it was pelting that I couldn't go out at all & had to sit at our front door to try and cope.  My mum sat right behind me in another chair for the full hour (the time it usually took for our nightly walk).

I hope I have explained this a bit better.
I agree with Faryal, start out with small goals.  Above all else though, make sure you get up and attempt these goals. 

If you have to cut back to smaller goals, then go for it.  It's not about what you can't do, it's about learning what you can...then building from there.  Can't learn to walk until you start with crawling...

Reading this thread: