Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,522 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Handling Emotions without Smoking

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How very kind of you Grace. Anger is a hard one to deal with. It really is just a matter of getting a different perspective and just practicing new coping skills until they become second nature. I also found that if we make people around us aware of our goals and ask them to help hold us accountable ... that helps as well. I don't mean to simplify the process, it does take work ... but it can be done. I posted in another anger thread today I think. It is in one of the craving or withdrawal forums I think. There was a lot of good advice/great tips for coping in that thread as well. When we treat people good, it makes us feel good about ourselves. When we blow up on people, it makes us feel guilty which then perpetuates our unhealthy cycle. [IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/8489yks8pjr5p4.gif[/IMG] Congrats on making it through Hell and Heck Week Grace. Those first two weeks are the hardest ... and you've made it. [IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/congrats10586.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 102 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,083 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $408 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 8

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 23

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I've been doing much better. Husband has been acting more respectful. I think he is holding it in rather than doing anything about it to learn different behavior to actually SOLVE the problem. If he is still stuffing, he will explode eventually. Knowing this bothers me, but I can't worry about something that has not happened yet. I just wish he'd learn new behavior skills so that this does not continue to effect our marriage. It saddens me. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 83 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,505 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $332 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

1. Don't yell, it only makes it worse. 2. Deep breathing. 3. Exercise when emotion is at the highest level. (most irrational) 4. Restrain yourself from saying things you don't mean. I don't know ... ugh! I need help. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 83 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,518 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $332 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I have to remember that when I am upset. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 84 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,535 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $336 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I think during the 50+ day mark was when I was really in the throws of figuring out all these full on emotional feelings and how to deal with them. I didn't let myself associate the feelings with smoking. I made myself aware that coping with emotions was a skill I had to acquire and that by doing so it would aid me in my quit. So I got busy acquiring some new and improved coping skills. Now at almost 100 days I'm waiting to see what my next challenge is going to be. If anyone wants to give me a heads up that will be cool. lol btw ... Marie & Hurstk ... you guys are doing great. You are both inspirations and not just to the quitters following you, but also to the ones ahead of you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 94 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,820 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $376 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I'm doing much better at dealing with my emotions. Better than I ever did when I smoked. I never thought I'd say that! LOL! For me the trick was going back over what defines me and then redefining my personal boundaries. Then I let the people in my life in on what was going on with me personally and emotionally. I got rid of some relationships, gain new relationships, had hardships in some, and some were strengthened. And other relationships experienced a combination of those things. I'm feeling good. There is nothing like going through a hard time and still feeling good. It's truly a great feeling. Too blessed to be stressed. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 93 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,819 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $372 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 261 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey BF, :) ((hug)) Try this? When you are undecided about a serious issue ask your self (your beautiful, giving, loving self) "What advice would I give my best friend/sister/daughter if she was in exactly this situation?" Write it down - the situation and your advice to your loved one. Do you think that the advice is applicable to you? If not, why not? Sometimes taking an emotional step back from an emotional situation helps to clear the mind about possible solution pathways. x Alison :) Kick the Herb to the Kerb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,413 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1000 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$90,826.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8664 Hours: 11

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breaking Free, We look forward to hearing from your husband and we hope we can be of help! Welcome to the SSC! Danielle _______________________ The SSC Support Team
Members, Let's help Breaking Free, her husband and other members struggling with this problem. What coping mechanisms have you learnt throughout your quit that help you deal with stress and anger? Thank you in advance for your replies. Danielle ________________________ The SSC Support Team
Come on members! Keep helping Breaking Free and other members add to their list of coping skills. You've already given such great suggestions! Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team

Reading this thread: