Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,522 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Handling Emotions without Smoking

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
what a REAL discussion...i could use one of those Over the past few weeks I have cried more than I have in years...aloha does NOT cry. I just feel so damn sad sometimes. i have the sense that it has to do with feeling what I really feel for the first time in a quite a while. Not that I havent been feeling, and expressing those feelings all along. Just I think maybe I am not running to a cig when the feelings get too uncomfortable. I had an amazing exchange with my youngest son last week. His girlfriend and her son were going to come over for a barbeque. He and I had marinated some things, I had gotten some other things ready. Then my son told me plans had changed, he was going to take the barbeque over there. I swore at him! He looked at me, we exchanged some words, then he walked away. I went in my room and cried..remember, aloha does NOT cry. I let myself acknowledge that I was disappointed. I wanted them to come over, I am lonely. Boy, that is so hard to say. I am so much The Independent Woman. This was not the first time I have cried lately..it is so weird. As soon as he came back upstairs, saying he did not appreciate my swearing at him, I was apologizing to him, telling him there was no excuse for that. He accepted the apology, but then, here is another really amazing part (other than me swearing at him and acknowledging to myself that I am lonely)....I told him how since I quit smoking I have felt like crying so often, and told him that I was really disapointed and not angry, but anger is so much easier to feel than hurt, and he understood. Just saying those real feelings out loud seems like so much progress to me, instead of being the tough girl...not to mention the crying.....lol hope this has not been too much whining for anyone -aloha [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $428.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
16 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This goes back a ways, but lots of good info and advice. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 460 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $264.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
  • Quit Meter

$330,372.30

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6026 Hours: 8

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bump this for Serenity2 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 70 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,517 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $332.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 156 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 182 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,734 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $546 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
at the moment ive discovered that ive replaced my emotional crutch with caffeine it seems to calm me down! But no I am struggling with my emotional attachment or lack of it now that Ive Quitt Smoking!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 275 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �71.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 583 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Free, Don't youm wish you could get a heads up. The great thing is God will give you the strenght when you need it. Not before. So anyway I have been popping in and out of this post. I think I have read it completly 3 times now. Free I love you. I know that is corny. I don't know you. This page has been helpful to me. Even if at first I thought it had no relavance to me. It does. I have always had a hard time dealing with anger. I suffer from FOOT IN MOUTH disiese, and BLOWING UP desiese. Over the past few years I have really worked on it. The past week though made me reliaze how much I used token as a crutch. Never the fag I needed just the time. Although I have not ate my foot latly, I have been blowing up. Mostly at kids. You know because they are SO DARN UNPREDICTABLE. I love the stuff on this post. I really just wanted to thank for sharing your troubles with us. I have taken alot from here. that will help me in my silly daily struggles. Love the " Too Blessed Too Be Stressed" That is so true. You are an inspiration to me. I pray the best for you. Who ever you are and where ever you are. Free you rock. Love the Quit. GRACE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 229 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $44 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breaking Free I do relate, I am not as stressed since I quit smoking, I thought I was unique in this situation ;)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 61 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 929 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $244 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
5-Leave the room get yourself under control and come back. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 51 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 779 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $204 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
Hurstk you make me LOL. great advise from Hurstk breaking-free, your feelings will change . This is hard on all of us and emotions are all over the place, back away and try to rationalize this, tomorrow is another day. Sending you positive vibes :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 689 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $180 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi BF, Im checking in on you. You have some good advice here and believe me you are not alone. I too have trouble dealing with my emotions, before i quit i would walk away and smoke...now i am learning to stay and do what i call VERBAL KARATE, it takes practice, its not fighting its discussing... im certainly not there yet i still walk away and go for a walk or a cry, and of course at those times i want to smoke. I have had some really horrible days filled with negative thoughts, and some days i don't know what the heck is wrong with me... but i DO NOT SMOKE... so yes yet again you are NOT ALONE.. i think we have just been hiding behind that cloud of smoke instead of confronting our own feelings, thats how we programmed our selves. Now the remedie... vent, search deep, find others to talk to, be honest to yourself about your feelings, re addicting yourself will not change a darn thing... Im learning along with many long termers on this site to deal with life as a NON SMOKER. You stay that way, im so proud of you, talk yourself through it, our ears and heart are open.... all the best jeanigirl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 649 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $232.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17

Reading this thread: