Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Handling Emotions without Smoking

16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So how long do you intentend to do a guilt trip about what she needed to hear about living with a drunk.You know me alohakeia being the hard nose is never an easy task.Man look at you 114 days in not smoking catch me if you can ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 116 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,088 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,160.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today Ladycigevictor posted a great Letter to Family and Friends to help them understand what the new non-smoker might be going through, with suggestions of how they can be supportive. When I responded to it, the situation with my son came up to the level of consciousnes again, as did this other situation with my friend. I didn't want to muddy Lady C's wonderful post with my "stuff", so I'm posting it here. I did speak my mind to a friend about a relationship she was in (never a good idea) and she still can't forgive me. I've apologized numerous times and have tried to let her know that part of "Why" is because of the quitting process I was going through, but to no avail. Maybe if I had been more aware of the possibility of out of control emotions occurring even months after the last cigarette, she and I would have been better prepared for my ill-timed and unasked for opinions. My unasked for opinion-sharing occurred a few weeks before my outburst at my son, but the ramifications have gone on and on. The anger she has felt and expressed towards me have been major triggers for me. I was visiting her at the time, and when she first got angry at me for expressing my concern about her alcoholic boyfriend, I nearly smoked, but calmed myself down by reminding myself that smoking would not help anything, and then apologized to her. After I got home she wrote and said some very hurtful things as well as again asking "Why". I again apologized and tried to explain that I shouldn't have been visiting when I was still going through the quitting process. I have since sent her some info on the emotional highs and lows, and still she comes back with "Why" and "How could You?" Each time it sets off a round of urges. Good practice for dealing with unpleasant feelings without smoking ; ) I think because I hadn't up to that point experienced much in the way of emotional ups and downs, I thought that wasn't going to be a part of my quit....lol....then around 1-2 months..bam! Things have settled down again for me emotionally, and I feel happier and more content than i have in years, although whenever I get another email from her it does spark a trigger...each time a little less powerful tho. Anyways, just had to get this out. -aloha [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 114 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $775.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Me again! Aloha, also on one of my quits I googled "smoking and depression" and up came 501 sites on it! Being depressed after quitting is a very real and very common thing. I have had it hit more than once. It does not mean we need to run for anti depressants, it means nicotine was a anti depressant of sorts and our brains will need some time to correct the balance! So once again the emotions come to the forefront! Hang in there girl we are getting thru this and each day is just a bit brighter than the day before! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,000 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $844.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
Hey Aloha, you can whine anytime you like, because we are all going thru the same things! And hey, don't worry about your kids, it's good for them to realize we aren't Superhuman, (even though we'd like to think so ourselves) or that we have human emotions! We just have recharge those Spidey senses sometimes as it is draining being super all the time! And YOU, you are always helping someone on this site with your wonderful caring posts, so take some back for yourself because you really deserve it! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,000 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $844.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whew! I am relieved that that post wasn't too too weird. I've been fretting about it since I posted it. I'm not glad that some of you are going through similar things, but I am glad to know I'm not alone in this. It has felt kind of scary, but also freeing. Yeah, for many years I felt like I didn't want to expose my kids to my sadness. In retrospect, not sure if that was a good choice for them or me. Luckily, we all have time left to try to get it right..or at least righter. Thanks for all your support, unhooked, Lainey, and Jean -aloha p.s. aloha definitely does not sob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $428.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
16 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jean49, you're always so sweet & understanding. You have a great heart & we're lucky to have you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 220 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $121.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[color=Purple]Oh Aloha, ,,, Not too much whining at all ! Many of us are either going through that part of our new non smoking lives where we break down at things which we 'd normally just walk away from. Now we are feeling the things which were once clouded by a huge smoke screen. We have a lot of hidden emotions all tucked away and when they emerge let it out hon. Holding back will only make things worse. Plus I've noticed that it feels so good after a good downright sob - Like purging that damn nicodemon and drowning him as the tears are flowing. It's all ok.. It's all very normal. And 'sides, this is a support group filled with the most loving and caring people who are in the exact same position as you are. We also all learn from one another and isn't that simply grand ? :) *passing you a tissue for next time....* Jean [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,250 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $512.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
Great idea, Lainey, we tough broads will stick together! Very good point about the mom thing, too. I know I have given up at least 2 quits because I felt I was being too hard on my kids with the crankiness & nitpicking. I didn't know what to do about it then, so I just started smoking again. Because that was so much better for them. :blush: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 220 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $121.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I know exactly what you mean Aloha, I am feeling all these emotions for what they are finally, without the anesthesia of nicotine. I think its hits us more as Mom's, because in 90% of homes, the Mom is the the glue holding up the household. I keep telling myself that its okay, I need to feel these emotions for what they are and learn how to let them go. I haven't done that since before I smoked when I was 16, so it could take a while, we are learning how to be adults all over again! Lean on us Aloha, we are going thru the same things! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,000 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $844.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
Not whining at all, Aloha. I know exactly what you're talking about & that is the scariest part of this whole thing for me. I knew that drugs & alcohol are a way to avoid dealing with real feelings but I never thought of smoking that way. Now that I realize it is & that's partly why we get so cranky, frustrated & short tempered, I also realize I am going to have to face some real (e-word here) & maybe admit that I 'm not as tough as I would like to think. Terrifying for me. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 220 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $121.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: