Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,522 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Handling Emotions without Smoking

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think you are awesome hurstk. I also think you are going to make it to the other side of all this. Just keep on working at it. That is all we can do. And even thought a lot of this work may be hard, it can still be fun. It can. (((smiles and hugs to you))) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,384 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $316 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 8

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Glad you liked my Serenity Prayer. It is a bit different than the original. I thought Phillip might like it as well, since it was his post that made me remember mine. Lady - your last post really touched me and helped. Hubby has now completed the cycle once more by apologizing and being super nice again. Hopefully he will do something to help himself. My frustration is gone. Imagine that? heh! Now I have to figure out a plan as to how I am going to react next time this happens. (hopefully it won't) I guess this is the closest to a crave that I have experienced since my first couple of weeks quit. The frustration and tears kept bringing on triggers that wanted to turn into craves. I could feel it. And I was fighting it. And trying to fight that while trying to deal with everything else (all the emotions) was really getting to me bad. I do not have time to think about smoking memories when I have other issues that are much more important that require my concentration. I guess that added to the frustration as well. So when your spouse really hurts your feelings or you feel disrespected by them and you tell them in a very healthy way how you are feeling and they then flip out on you some more ... what do YOU do? Any replies would be helpful as I really need to learn a better way to deal with this just in case it does happen again. I need to learn what I can do. Exercising did not help this time. Neither did sleep as I couldn't. I could not find anything to take the pain out of my mind. If I didn't have kids ... I would have drank a couple of drinks to help relieve the anxiety a bit. I even had some junkie thinking, like one cigarette will at least help me get a 15 minute break from this pain and then I'll deal with it. I just need a break. Thank goodness I recognize the baloney ... but still it was super annoying to even hear my subconscious spew that crap. I'm rambling. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,354 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $312 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

My husband just informed me that he is going to sign up to this site for knowledge, support and help. Maybe he is really serious this time about getting help for himself. Maybe there is hope after all. Thank you everyone. Hubby if you see this post. I want you to know that I am proud of you for finally trying to get some help and learn how do deal with all these new emotions. You can do this. If you need me, I'm here. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,354 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $312 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

ROFL @ Hurstk Thanks for all the support guys! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,366 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $312 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Is anyone else having trouble handling emotions without smoking? I am. I thought I had a handle on it, but I guess I don't totally. I am finding the feeling of 'frustration' to be extremely hard, especially when you try and do something about it and nothing gets resolved. I could barely sleep all night last night. Getting a handle on emotions and learning how to deal with them without a crutch is very important for my quit. Not knowing what to do leaves me with a very uncomfortable feeling. Is this normal? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,325 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $308 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thanks everyone. I am doing everything that has been suggested. The problem does not go away though, so the frustration always comes back. When the problem lies with another individual you can not change them. When you can't get away from them it can drive you insane. That is how I feel right now. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,328 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $308 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I feel frustration because I know that I can not change him and at the same time I can not allow him to cross my personal boundaries. As long as he does not change and I continue to live here; I will continue to feel frustration or worse. So I told him that if he doesn't do something to change his behavior that we will be getting a divorce. I'm not going back to smoking. Nothing is going to compromise my quit, not even my marriage. God, grant me the Serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the Courage to change the one I can, and the Wisdom to know it's me." 1. Faith is the ability to not panic. 2. If you worry, you didn't pray. If you pray, don't worry. 3. As a child of God, prayer is kind of like calling home every day. 4. Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape. 5. When we get tangled up in our problems, be still. God wants us to be still so God can untangle the knot. 6. Do the math. Count your blessings. 7. God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts. 8. Dear God: I have a problem. It's me. 9. Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted. 10. Laugh every day: it's like inner jogging. 11. The most important things in your home are the people. 12. Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional. 13. There is no key to happiness. The door is always open. 14. A grudge is a heavy thing to carry. 15. He who dies with the most toys is still dead. 16. We do not remember days, but moments. Life moves too fast, so enjoy your precious moments. (Like the saying: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but the number of times your breath is taken). 17. Nothing is real to you until you experience it, otherwise its just hear-say. 18. It's all right to sit on your pity pot every now and again. Just be sure you flush when you are done. 19. Surviving and living your life successfully requires courage. The great goals and dreams you're seeking require courage and risk taking. Learn from the turtle--it only makes progress when it sticks out its neck. 20. Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. 21. Feed your
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

My husband has been a really ugly person over the last 5 to 7 weeks. He'll be ugly, we'll talk, he'll be nice. Then the cycle starts all over again. I have been trying to be patient with him. I have been very supportive. But his ugliness is something I'll remember in 1-5 years, because yes he is that ugly to me and yes it hurts that much. His ugliness could very well ruin our marriage if he does not get a handle on himself. I am really upset. Normally I would numb myself up with nicotine if we fought. Now I am feeling all the pain full force ... I can't describe it ... it is almost unbearable. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,334 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $308 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

[center][IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/tha_you14.gif[/IMG] & [IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/blesslock04.gif[/IMG][/center] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 110 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $440 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

This last month has been really hard with my husband. Neither of us have gone back to smoking. He has been mentally and verbally abusive over the last month. The self control I've had to exhibit ... well I just can't even describe. Yesterday he finally got in touch with a men's anger & stress management group. Thank you Lord! He told me that this last weekend he really wanted to smoke; that it had been difficult for him not to. Luckily he didn't. Prayers for him are greatly appreciated. Prayers for continued strength for me are also appreciated. Thanks. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,288 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $436 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: