Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,645 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA, JCONOPIO

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I got rid of some weeds in the front yard, and bagged them for pickup tomorrow. 

I cut away some of the leaves a plant which has many holes in them, but I'm not sure that will solve anything.
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Finished up all my medical appointments till next month or maybe I'll extend that to the end October, which is even better..Just dental appointments next month of course that could change too..I seem to be in control of the appointment book and my life again..Yippee for me..It was hard but I stuck to my guns and I didn't let fear or panic control me and best of all I didn't let fear back me into a corner this time..Soooo yesterday and today have been very good days for me and I even got a good nights sleep..

I did a little watering today and looked at camping sites on line in the Eastern Sierra's. Traveling on line is a little hobby of mine..It is so beautiful there and I snagged a beautiful Fall pic from one of the sites..I hope to be dreaming of camping in the Sierra's tonight, with all the colors of Fall and the sound of the fall leaves..I just love the Fall.. 

Red..
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hope everyone had a good day too. I'm finished pressing apples for a couple of weeks now. I just have to clean the press and put it away till then. But first I need another cup of tea and a brownie as reward. (besides the five gallons of apple juice) But the biggest reward is that I can still do it and still want to. And I made it before the rain that we may get but may not come till tomorrow. Prediction is for a thunder storm tonight and tomorrow then a few days of rain. Just in time for the outdoor music festival. Hopefully the weatherman is wrong.
I'll have an hour to rest before I have to water. Running the first two sprinklers. I have my first zucchini, they were planted late. I think I might be a little sun burnt too. Goes with the territory. Can't complain, snow is less than three months away.

Davit
It rained last night, but the sun is out and there is a slight breeze. a good day to press apples and drink tea on the deck. A good day to look around. I think I can manage all of that.

Davit
I'm going to try to substitute the time watching tv for gardening, but today wasn't easy.

I did water the garden, and pulled some sucker plants off the tomatoes, as well as prune the roses, in the dark.  A raccoon dropped off the neighbour's garage, within a few feet of me, and I was surprised of the the size of the raccoon.

Adding some triple mix to the basil, newly planted parsley and old romaine lettuce could help those plants.
Not the best Cauliflower I've grown but good just the same.

It tried to rain and failed. There are lots of clouds but they are white. I put another pail of apples through the press, there might be one left on that tree and then it is weeks till the next tree is ready. That one goes for pies with only the tiny ones for juice. I'm still enjoying my garden even though it is going to start being work. So many good things coming out of all that labour. So worth it. Like fresh cauliflower.

Davit
Well it took a little work to get started but I did put a pail of apples through the press. The grinder is hand crank so it is about an hour per pail. I don't want to crank for an hour at the best of times but I do it. I can usually manage a few pails but I'm doing it on the deck to keep the mess down and it has got too hot. So it is clean the mess and do something else. I can go get another pail of apples and wash them to press when it cools down. That is a 6 gallon US pail. Nice thing about doing it outside is I can wash down the press and deck with a garden hose. Not nice thing is I'm getting wasps for company.
I think I'll mow some lawn, it needs it. 

Davit
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning..to all that read here..

Hey Davit! You may not be able to walk as far as I do but you have more stamina than I do when it comes to the hard work of maintaining a huge plot of fruits and vegetables..Wish I could do all that you do..Guess the walking with have to do me good for now..

Hey Hugs..I sure know what you mean about the nag nag naging..I get a lot of grief from that nag most days but today I am going to do my best to ignore this incessant chatter and do what I want to do today..Like pampering myself all day today..Already had a relaxing breakfast, a nice long shower, washed and styled my hair, and am getting ready to a little reading..

Yes the old nag wants me to do some weeding..Oh well I guess she will just have to wait!

Red..
 :)

As I awoke this morning, watering the lawn seemed like a big deal, but the sprinkler is out, as my chatty brain tries to second guess the little things: forgetting the measuring cup, taping the holes in the hose, what kind of hose to buy next, what kind of sprinkler to buy, if the neighbour is annoyed at my missing spots, will I get all the area covered, what about the back garden, what about all the other chores, nag, nag, nag
We never got our storm today so it stayed far to hot to press apples. Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler so I'll try to get a pail picked in the morning. I can't do it now, have to run the sprinklers. And tonight I'm relaxing with a movie. Enough for one day. Raspberries are about done. They are getting too small to bother with now. It is still hot and it is 6 pm. 

I wish I could walk farther and without a cane but my ankles are no good so my balance is shot. Still I manage. I certainly do not and can not walk as far as Red. Good for you girl.

Davit

Reading this thread: