Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,645 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO, JARCA, JCONOPIO

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been told daddy long legs spiders bite but although right now they are everywhere in large numbers and all sizes I've just been brushing them off. They get on me when I'm picking Raspberries. Which is all I did since I went to the store and the library. I picked enough to cover two cookie sheets on Parchment paper in the freezer. I prefer to freeze then loose unless they are for wine which I might make again. I make jelly out of the wine sometimes. The alcohol boils off just leaving the taste. My preferred Jelly is still Elderberry. I guess I had better pick my currants for jelly. I might have an apple tree ready too. It could get busy soon so I have been freezing meals since I won't have much time to cook come harvest time. I kicked the tops over on the onions so the stems can shrivel for braiding. Braiding is still the best way to store them. Just hung on the wall by the stove works fine. About fifty to a braid if they are good size. No rain today so if it doesn't over night I will be watering tomorrow. Flowers are still holding on.
There are more raspberries on the ground than I picked, I just can't keep up. Heritage plants that produce large berries in clusters. It is time to thin them out and move them. 
The lawn needs mowing but not real bad and I still haven't put a board under the pumpkin. Tomorrow if I remember.
I'm finding time to sit and look around now that the weeding rush is over. That is what it is for.
Some poplars are turning yellow too soon. At least I think it is too soon. Some potato plants are dying back too. No corn this year I think. I didn't water enough.

Davit
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mom & I enjoyed sitting on a bench my brother bought in the back, to enjoy the garden and summer weather, following a day in the hospital emergency, draining mom, and myself, although I wasn't the one suffering much.  Mom wants some heritage plants in a vase planted for the seeds, since they're so productive, and the beans, and many of the tomatoes haven't grown much.

I'll sleep better tonight, hopefully.
10 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The weather has been amazing here for the past week, and should be for at least another week. August means dry Westerly winds, and while it isn't great for my hair (static is soo annoying!), the desert air does keep the skies clear. :) 

Ranunculi are out in flower now, we have pink, yellow and white but so far it's only the one freesia flowering, it smells so nice. I've moved my Japanese Maple to a less cold and shady area and everyone will be able to see it now. My Peace Lily also has a new home in a shiny silver pot which I have on my desk. It fits in well with the revamping I've been working on in my bedroom.

Got bitten by a green ant twice on my collarbone today so it's a lovely pink colour now. Ouchies!

Kaitie.
Red.

We can not just give up but we can down scale so the activity is the same but the load less. I spent hours taking a sprinkler down, cleaning the dead fly out of it and putting it back up where it will do better in a different spot on the fence. The trees have got big and all it was doing was watering one. That one is coming out but not right now since I need a tractor to remove it and there are plants in the way. I had to spend some time on a ladder to move the sprinkler, they are on brackets screwed to the fence. So the next day I was sore. Like I am today after spending most of yesterday harvesting Basil and making pesto. I would have been okay except I went back out to pick raspberries. I took something to sit on though. I have these plastic cable reels I get from a garage.  They weigh next to nothing so are easy to move around. I can spend a lot longer in the garden if I can sit. When I use my little tiller I go from reel to reel and sit often. It takes all day but it feels good in my head and heart if not my legs after. I still have not screwed the fountain to the wall but I will soon. It has been too hot to sit on the deck anyway. A deer passed through and ate the top of a cherry tree I was saving for a replacement tree since it's mother is badly damaged and has to come out. I think it is still okay. Next spring I need to prune, or hire some one to. That will be a chore. A hydraulic pole saw would sure be nice. I could run it off a tractor.
I better do some more outside before the rain starts.

Davit

Storm is getting close. This should be interesting.
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We made a 2 hr trip in the truck today to a Tree Farm..We returned one tree and bought another..I know I know I said I was getting to old to trim trees but I saw this baby tree and fell in love with it..So we brought it home and planted it..
It now has a home and we have a baby tree to love again..It's so small we won't have to worry about trimming for a long long while..All it needs is a TLC for now..and I can give it lots of that..

Red
 :)

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Planting some parsley wasn't my highlight, but it was done, after a lot of time planning  to do it.  The first plot looks so healthy, and I have to figure out what to do with it now!

I got rid of suckers from the tomato plants, and watered the whole garden.

It's amazing how I get lost in the garden, but it will look so great in the morning, since I already see the different coloured roses coming out as red, white, rose and yellow.  There could be some ripe tomatoes too in the morning.
5 hours later and I'm cleaning up. Pesto is done for another month. On the way back from the store I noticed some trees turning colour already. A bit early I would think. I still have a bit of energy left so I'll go get some Raspberries before I turn the sprinklers on. No rain today and fairly hot. Too hot to work outside any way. Still hot but tolerable. 

Davit
"here comes the sun"

It didn't look too good this morning, cold, wet and foggy. Cold enough my stray cat wanted in. He has gone walk about again with a tummy full of milk. (which really isn't good for him) But the sun is coming out so if it doesn't rain too much it will be a nice day in the high 20's (70's -80's F) If I have containers to put it in I will make pesto while I wait for it to dry a bit. Forecast is for rain though. I could go to the store for more containers. I'd like to get another picking of the raspberries too. I hate to waste them. 
It is that time of year here that if it doesn't have fruit on it it won't amount to anything. Fortunately that which I want is doing good. I'm thinking about clear giant storage bins for giant hot caps next year. For the squash.

Davit
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Didn't do much in the yard today..Went to the swapmeet early this morning than came home Thank God and relaxed and did a little watering this afternoon. Now off to curl up on the couch for a bit, then early to bed..

Of course the thing I look forword to most this days is crawling in my soft bed, shutting my eyes and getting a good nights sleep..

I am really a big baby at heart..

Night Night all..
Red...

I didn't get much time in my Garden today. Too many other things to do. That happens. The rain clouds have managed to get over the mountains and into my valley. It is raining. There is still thunder. No light show, it is too light and it is hitting the other side of the mountains. Tomorrow it starts back relatively hot again. 

I and Theodore are going to watch a movie.

We had stuffed peppers for supper, not mine and noticeably not as good. Tough skins.

Davit

Ps, Basil is flowering again, time to make pesto.

Reading this thread: