Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,723 Members

Please welcome our newest members: hlc0617, Reyanna, CeCe2128, Ktktindy1, Julesy

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red,

Indeed, that kind of physical exercise is just as or even more beneficial mentally then physically!  It sounds like you are learning more about yourself, what feels right and works best for you.
Is there anything new that you are interested in that you've always wanted to try?  Engaging in a new activity, hobby, project etc.. is an excellent way to keep your mind focused and avoid racing thoughts or feelings of anxiety.
Keep us posted on your journey!
Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Vincenza!

Just read your post..Thanks for the Adda boys or girls as it may be..The walking really helps with the anxiety it is pretty much a must do part of my routine being that the hard yard work is getting to be to much for me now..

The thing I think I need to do next is to learn how to relax and unwind a little without having to be so physical about it..Like maybe setting some time aside to read every day and maybe do a little sewing or some other relaxing hobby...Not sure what yet but it is something that I really think I need to starting do now..I need to learn to accept and adapt to the physical changes that come with aging...Which I think I am beginning to understand a bit better after today..

I also need to channel my energy into something that is beneficial and nurturing to who I am now. This is going to be a big challenge but it is also something I need to make happen even more so now..and because I do have lots of nervous energy and I do need to channel it into something that is more healthy for me and who I am physically today, that way I can still enjoy my life without hurting myself physically..

Lots for me to think about..

Red....

I Know I know!!

I said I wasn't going to work in the yard today but I got a little restless and did a little trimming and then did a little mowing but had to stop running the mower twice.I guess It was just to hot and the old ticker got to beating a little to hard and I got short of breath and then my heart felt real tired, so that was it for me for today. I have to admit it did scare me a little bit this time..So for now I will just have to find something a little less strenuous to occupy myself with..Not what I am used to doing but I can see it is a necessary change..I wanted to do to it and more even I wanted to see if I could still do it..So Edd played along with me under one condition that I would stop if got to be to much for me..and it did..He is a such a good sport and now he is out finishing the yard up for me.

I am sad that I can't do the hard stuff anymore but  I am also very happy and very grateful that I have someone who cares enough about me to pitch in and give me a hand when I really need it..So in that aspect I am really very blessed..

So for now I guess my job will be getting us both a big glass of ice tea..

Red.  :(   :)))
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit, 

It sounds like a freshly squeezed glass of pure apple juice is definitely worth it 

Red1,  great way to be proactive about your health!  How has the walking helped with your anxiety?
Vincenza, Health Educator
We got tired of working in the hot yard..So we decided to do something different for exercise today We headed out real early this am to do a little walking at the swap meets..It was a nice change of routine..

I walked 6642 steps, 3.13 miles already today..and it is only 11 a.m. here..Most days I get in anywhere from 7 to 10 thousand steps just with my walking...I have but in a lot of miles this week that's for sure..It helps me keep my blood sugar and my blood pressure down..Well got to get a little snack than off again to do a little more walking, this time the health food store for produce will do..Well got to scoot for now, talk to you all a little later..

Have a great weekend everyone..

Red.. 

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is going to go into the 30s C today with a chance of a storm later. That is around 90F. Same as yesterday, and yesterday was hot. With enough water it is good for the plants but no fun to work in. So I won't. I'll go get my press and drag it up to the kitchen. It is too heavy to carry far. I'll start making apple juice. A messy job. I did think of doing it outside but cleaning is harder. So I'll do it in the Kitchen like always. I press before the apples are fully ripe so there is less sugar and the juice isn't sickly sweet. Colour is lighter too. But then I am a finicky old man. Always aiming for the best. But not always getting it. Time factor. I will give every thing a good water first because I know once I start this I will be too tired to do anything else. And it will be late when I finish. That is just how it is. So where are the therapeutic effects. Well it keeps me occupied, I get the satisfaction of a good product and the knowledge I can still do it. That is worth it. If all it was was work, I wouldn't do it. How many gallons of Apple juice do I need? As many as I get.

Davit.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Since I keep my time at the computer down to 20 minutes at a time, I used the breaks to move the hose around the garden in the morning and night times to do watering.

Had to research a microwave(lasted 23 years!) and ballusters and column styles for the veranda.  I think I've figured out the styles but it's not doing much to reduce my stress level.

Parsley is really looking great!
Sure would love the see a little rain storm down here..I've Been working on a little road trip before the winter weather starts in..Maybe a little Storm Chasing this Fall if not sooner..Just two more health care appointments next week and hopefully that will be it and than I can start planning a trip again..I am so looking forward to getting out of the city and away for the craziness and aggressiveness of the people in the city and back into the wilderness and nature again..That's always the best medicine for me, always will and as it should be.

I feel so much safer and closer to my maker when I am in nature, in Gods hands, living in Gods land as it should be.
I can't wait to get away for all the violence of the city and leave the Land Sodom and Gomorrah again..

Red..

If you like weather you would love it here. A storm blew in and crossed the valley with thunder and some rain but was gone in half an hour. Rain just evaporated and it got hot again. But here we go again the storm circled around and is coming through again. Green houses are watered. Apples are ready. I put a few little guys in my sauce to cut the tomato acid taste instead of using sugar. It can simmer for a while. I'm going to look at the potato hiller. At least I don't have to water tonight. If the storm passes through without rain I can have a cup of tea on the deck before supper. Busy busy, life is good. If it doesn't rain too hard I'll mow a bit too. Not dark for a few hours. Having fun, that is the main thing.

Davit.
What a lovely day today for a day that is supposed to be storms and rain. And I am going to make lasagne! We will see. I hate to waste the day indoors. I also don't like watering at eight at night but will. I'll turn the first set of sprinklers on and have another cup of tea in the meantime. Flower beds get hand watered with these. After that I can decide what to do with the rest of the day. It might be lasagne. Raspberries will get wet so I won't be picking them till late if at all. They are falling off. They will still produce for awhile though. Poor spinach couldn't take the heat so I will use chard instead. I should have been a boy scout, always prepared.

I have to drive to a friends to look at the potato hiller he built for my tractor. I also have to check an apple tree before I turn on the sprinklers. All things in order. If they are ready it means picking and pressing for juice if they are small or processing for pie filling if big enough. Which means making pectin from the cores and peels. I don't buy pectin, it comes from the most heavy sprayed part of the apple. I don't spray.

So I better get at it, going to be a long day. Especially if the hiller works, the mower is on the tractor right now so I will want to mow first. Clouds are building now.

Davit

Reading this thread: