Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,721 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CeCe2128, Ktktindy1, Julesy, grames, rainyjade

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The easiest would be to follow the morning glory back to the ground because it most likely is not where you planted seed. I believe morning glory forks more than pole bean and has much smaller leaves. My pole beans are purple so they are easier to tell apart. Taste and freeze better too. Pole beans when young will have seed residue attached still also. You don't have to take them down when you find them, just cut them off at the ground and carefully pull them out of the ground. 

It is raining but I'm going out anyway to dig potatoes. I really want to till the residue and weeds under so they can germinate and I can kill them too rather than do it in the spring. In spring I will get what I missed. Work is piling up again. The sun is trying to poke through though, it could turn into a nice day for the last day of the music festival.

Hugs, look closely at your birds, they could be picking bugs off your plants. I've been lucky and never had to cover anything.

Davit
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sparrows seem to be having a field day on the lattice with my pole beans, so I'm going to drape a large piece of tulle over the lattice. Someone suggested placing CD's, so the shiny surface would disturb the sparrows, but it doesn't seem effective.

What is worse, I can't tell the difference between morning glories and pole bean leaves
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not much going on here..Been resting most of the day...
Those potatoes do sound good..Yummy in the old tummy. Sounds like a great day there.
I guess I will just have to bake a couple potatoes for dinner tonight down here and heat up some green beans too.
Comfort food...My favorite..

Red..
Nice potatoes and quite a few considering how dry it was. I have half the reds picked. It is a lot but it is also my only supply I don't buy potatoes, I don't like store potatoes. I don't like a lot of things it seems. Just spoilt is all.
I would have a garden before I would have a lawn. A deer came to visit and helped itself to my Swiss Chard. So I dug out my deer deterrent.

Davit
It rained last night so watering is off the chore list today except the basil in the green house. It is cold too so I'll have another cup of tea and start some laundry. Then it is go dig potatoes. I'm getting good at digging them sitting. I let the weeds get away in them. I know better. Next year that patch will be summer fallow or I will plant it to raspberries. But that is next year, as soon as the potatoes are out I'll till everything under.

Davit
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stunning landscapes!

I wtered the garden early this morning.

While planning a porch renovation in cedar, I can't believe the detail that can be used, including the pre-treatment!  I hate to let the Victorian look go, though
I love the musty smell of rotting leaves in the fall. I love to watch them fall when the wind blows and I love the first snow. The colour here is mostly just yellow but it is how they change that is exciting. It is how they blow around that really excites me and it is the bare trees after that makes me sad. But that is as it should be. Change is okay. And while they do that I will harvest and clean flower beds in preparation for the coming spring. And I will enjoy the fruits of my labour as it should be. Including hot cider on the deck as the leaves blow around. And speaking of harvesting, tomorrow I cut the Lemon Balm for tea for the third and final time. It will have time to grow strong before winter then. As soon as it is dry I will cut the Thyme and Rosemary. The basil I will cut one more time before frost in a couple of weeks. I have seeds to collect too. I already have the marigold seeds I want.
Life is good, gardening is good. It gives meaning to how I live. And why I live if that makes sense.

David
Beautiful pic..
I have never been a real hiker. I smoked for to many years, or skied or lived in the snow..It must of been exciting to have all those experiences in life. My father did take us to the snow to play and ride down hills when I was a child..The seasons don't change much in southern California unless you live in the mountains. Even though I am not able to do long hikes at sea level or in the high elevations of the Eastern Sierras I would love to see and feel the Change this year. I am thinking and hoping to make a trip to the Sierras this year..It will be my first time to see and smell the  Fall..
I guess you could call it my little bucket list except that I just may want to do it again. :)

Red...
This pic is my desktop. It is not far from here and at one time I could walk to it or ski to it in winter. Thought you might like it. It reminds me that life was not always as it is now.

Davit
I just had to put up last years Autumn pic that I found on line today of the high Sierras with all the changing leaves of Fall..This may not be a standard garden post..even so it is about nature and I do find the colors of the changing season very therapeutic..Walking in the chilly air and the idea of coming in and curling up on the couch, now that is heaven..
I also enjoy the sounds and smells of this season and feel of the cool crisp air. The taste and smell of the hot apple cider and hot chocolate..Oh and the colors..I can just loose myself and melt into the colors of this season..Yes I am looking forward to every bit of it..

Red.....

Reading this thread: