Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,523 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7

Quote of the day

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You win only if you aren't afraid to lose.
- Rocky Aoki

It's funny that this quote refers to "fear" as a prerequiste to being a winner or champion

Hi Ashley,
"Positive thinking" only goes so far, as the placebo effect shows.  There is a change necessary, in a more profound way, necessary through building a "skill" of being consistant in the way we see the world productively

Using the CBT tools can help..
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are absolutely right Shari. What you are describing is called the "Placebo Effect". It is a well documented phenomena. You described it perfectly. Just believing something will work sometimes does have a positive effect - but of course not always and not with all conditions.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
To clarify...If you want to be cured from panic, you have to do the program and work hard and believe it will work.  You can't just say, "I'm cured of panic", snap your fingers and you don't have panic.  If you want money, you have to go out and work and earn money.  You can't just sit on the couch, ask God to give you money, snap your fingers and expect a sack of money to drop from heaven onto your lap.  I'll stop talking now :)

Shari
My daughter took a psychology course and there was a study about people from Asia who received Chinese medicine and they were cured from their ills.  And, then they took the same people and gave them American medicine for the same ills and the American medicine "didn't work".  Because, they didn't believe it would work, they were use to their medicine.  The same thing happened treating Americans with American medicine and they were cured and when Americans were given Chinese medicine for the same things, it "didn't work", because they didn't believe it. When trying new medicines out on Americans, one group will be given the actual medicine and another group will be given a sugar pill. But, both groups are told it's the actual medicine.  Some of the people with sugar pills have their symptoms subside, because they believe it.

Maybe Ashley can help me out here :)  I don't want to mislead anyone, by saying, just because you think it, that something magical will happen.  There's no genie lamp to rub and God may not give us everything we want, just because we want it. What I'm trying to say is that being positive gives us a better chance of what we want to have happen.  The Universal Law is the Law of Attraction.  What you put out, is what you get back.  If you're negative and are expecting the worse to happen, that's what you're going to experience.  One man just moved to a new town and he asked another man, "Are the people friendly here?"  The other man asked, "Do you often find that people are friendly?"  And, the first man replied, "No."  The second man said, "Well, then I don't expect you will find that people are friendly here either."  So, life is kind of what you make it.  You can make things better or worse by choosing to speak positive or negative.  I hope I haven't dug myself into a hole :)

Shari
Hi Shari,

So our beliefs are our limits...
Just a neat example:  If you put a flea in a jar with a lid on it, the flea will hit his head several times and then not jump higher than the lid.  When you take the lid off of the jar, the flea will still not jump out, even though he can, because he believes he can't.  So, he stays trapped in the jar, because of his self limited thinking.

Neat example #2:  Two frogs were in a bucket of water and couldn't jump out.  The group of frogs, who surrounded the bucket, were yelling, "Give up!  You can never get out!  You're going to die!!!"  So, the one frog gave up.  The other frog kept trying until he eventually jumped out of the bucket.  The group of frogs said, "Didn't you hear us shouting at you that you should give up?"  And, the frog (who read their lips) said, "I am deaf.  I thought you were shouting words of encouragement to get me out."

Situations are what they are, what we think about them makes them possible or impossible.  

Shari
Hi Hugs,

I believe everything is possible.  In Theoretical Physics, all things are possible.  And, with God all things are possible.  

Shari
We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.
- Chretien Malesherbes

What if everything was possible?

If you set a goal for yourself and are able to achieve it, you have won your race. Your goal can be to come in first, to improve your performance, or just to finish the race -- it's up to you.
- Dave Scott

Working backwards from a goal is mechanical.  Commitment is so important and is my daily challenge, and with a "popcorn" brain, staying on course is difficult
The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind.
- William James

Having wonderful people around us can help that attitudebe supported

Reading this thread: