Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Quote of the day

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thx Davit,
That's clearer now
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs: 

I was tired when I wrote that so I suppose I didn't explain it well.  Core beliefs are very powerful and if they have been around for a long time what are you going to believe?  A core belief which is false or someone who is disputing your core belief, be it yourself or someone else?  As long as you don't want something core beliefs have little effect except to make you sad.  It is when you want something be it, love, work, travel or basically anything where the core belief interferes with you doing it that causes anxiety. So what do you believe, your core beliefs which have been around for a long time (based on negatives) or that it is wrong based on your self discovery or someone telling you the core belief is wrong?   

When I wrote "them" it was the people telling you the core belief is wrong but it could just as well mean "you". 

So you see, if you are being influenced by a core belief and we all are then you don't have control over your thoughts unless you are willing to question your very thoughts. This can backfire if you question positive core beliefs.

The other problem is, how do you recognize a negative core belief when you believe it to be true?

Davit.
Davit,
What do you mean by by the last two sentences beginning with "..sometimes to the extent....what do you trust then?..."?.

Put yourself in a state of mind where you say to yourself, "Here is an opportunity for me to celebrate like never before, my own power, my own ability to get myself to do whatever is necessary."
- Anthony Robbins

Mr Robbins appeared in a comedy called Shallow Hal, which was based on a man's suddent change in how he saw one woman, differently from her physical appearance. 
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs.

Control over ones thoughts is not something a person really has. Core beliefs can be so strong they warp ones perception. Sometimes to the extent that it takes someone else telling them they are wrong to make it obvious. So it is still them against the core belief, what do you trust then?

Davit.
Nothing in life is so hard that you can't make it easier by the way you take it.
- Ellen Glasgow

Humour is something that drawn upon, can relieve stress
The one thing over which you have absolute control is your own thoughts. It is this that puts you in a position to control your own destiny.
- Paul G. Thomas

This choice makes me different from a machine
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The following quote is from a Missionary:

Never allow yourself to complain about anything - not even the weather.

Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or some place else.

Never compare your lot with another's.

Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.

Never dwell on tomorrow - remember that [tomorrow] is God's not ours.

Shari
If you can't get a compliment any other way, pay yourself one.
- Mark Twain

And do it all day and night...
Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
- Thomas A. Edison

Maybe your mind is solving another problem
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,

I can relate to your first paragraph.  I didn't have panic or anxiety when I was a Mom.  It was the change of her going off to college and suddenly I'm without that role.  I had purpose and then nothing.  Just like you said, no reason to get out of bed and it was like someone died and I was alone.

Ironically, I left the hustle and bustle of crowded Southern Maryland for the hustle and bustle of crowded Florida.  But, I think what makes the difference is the friendly people and the sunshine.  Albeit it's hot, but everyone's in a good mood here :)  

Shari

Reading this thread: