Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,522 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Quote of the day

11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Almost all of my working life I have had jobs that were long hours and well paying because of that and sometimes just because they were dangerous. Oddly enough the six or so month of high alert didn't give me anxiety or panic. It was the change from work to what do I do now. To go from direction and routine to nothing. No reason to get out of bed even. It was like someone died and I was alone.

It is raining today and I have a number of things to do that don't call for sitting on a wet tractor, not as much fun I have to admit but they do have to be done. I love the fall but there is always a rush to clean up and put things away. Rainy days are good for this, otherwise I just want to sit and watch the leaves fall.

Front wheel drive cars with the law that says all four wheels have to match has made them safer but it took the challenge and fun out of driving. But then there are just too many of us to be allowed to do our own thing any more. At least up here in the north away from the crowds we can get away with a few things and still feel independent. It does cost though, like maintaining  a tractor to remove snow. 

I think the noise and the hustle and bustle of the crowded south would get to me but then I think is it just that being Agoraphobic, is it the loss of control and independence instead? I think the latter.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong.
- Ella Fitzgerald

This is like the difference between front and real wheel drive.  When passion and love and inspiration motivate me, I can pull the world on my shoulders.  When I'm down, and I'm not doing what I want, it's like pushing a weight up a hill
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
- Confucius

Never failing would actually be unusual.  I remember another quote, which state that "..if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room..."
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.
- Edwin Louis Cole

But if I paddle too hard in the water, I'll look silly, panic, and no one will want to help me.  Years ago I took waterproofing, which is a skill.

Isn't being calm a skill?
Failure does not count. If you accept this, you'll be successful. What causes most people to fail is that after one failure, they'll stop trying.
- Frank Burford

Maybe this is relative, since salesmen have to keep knocking on doors or they'll never sell anything to make a living. By relative, I mean that some people don't even have the luxury of thinking about it, and are much worse off than I. 
Some men have thousands of reasons why they cannot do what they want to, when all they need is one reason why they can.
- Willis Whitney

I suppose if I'm looking for reasons to not do things, I could be looking for reasons to do them too equally
Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.
- Charles F. Kettering

Seeing failures as part of normal daily living helps me
11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs,

So very true! 

By the way just wanted to say thank you for the positive feedback and encouragement you gave me under another tread and it's nice reading you posts again too..

Red...
Adopting the right attitude can convert a negative stress into a positive one.
- Hans Selye

Adopting the wrong attitude can convert a postive stress into a negative one, conversely
Failure is an event, never a person.
- William D. Brown

Sometimes I respond to a situation by never wishing to repeat it.  Taking the situation personally isn't productive.

Reading this thread: