Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

I had a heart attack and I have to quit smoking

16 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just keep hanging in there. You can do it. I have also had a heart attack and bypass surgery so I do understand. Regardless how many times we try we must continue kick butts. Just take one day at a time. Good luck [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] -132 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $-71.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] -129693
17 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wendel Glad you found this site. Make sure you check with your doctor soon to see if chantix is permissable. It really helps with the physical withdrawal. The craving/urges are still there, but not so strong. I've been a 36 yr smoker,up to over 2 packs a day, and have tried lots of different methods. This site is very very helpful, and I've found that just cruising around in it, learning more about this addiction, and tips to help me be smoke-free has been my "lifeline". I come here every time I have a craving or urge for a cigarette...and it works!!!! Good, good luck on your quit! You've got a lot more living to do!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 232 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $34 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One more thing. How can you distract yourself & keep busy while you're home? - Boredom is not a good friend to us non-smokers! :eg: Maybe you can do something to distract yourself and work on keeping healthy at the same time - look through a cookbook and find a healthy recipe & try making it or go for a walk. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,108 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $201.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,175.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5539 Hours: 17

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wendel - Let's say you smoked 20 cigs a day. Each cig is about 10 drags. So 200 times a day you brought your hand up to your mouth and inhaled. That means each week you did that motion 1,400 times. Each month 5,600. Each year 67,000. You've smoked for 17 years. That means you've done that smoking routine 1,159,000 times in your life. It's going to take some time to not do something you've practiced doing 1,159,000 times! But, the good news is - you CAN do it! All of us here are doing it! We're so glad you've joined us! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,108 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $201.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,175.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5539 Hours: 17

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think my problem is boredom I am fine at work all day chewing the nic gum, but when I get home to my apartment it gets really tuff. I am so used to doing this freaking thing. I am trying pencils straws you name it I tried it. Why is this such a powerful behavior to change?
17 years ago 0 948 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wendel, Just a quick note; Chantix is fantastic, It really has helped me. Really hope it is something you can use. If not, we will find other ways to keep your quit, all of us on here will help you.! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 667 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $130 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 357 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wendel, Hello and welcome to the SSC. For me this site has made a HUGE difference in my quit. We will all be here to support you and offer any advise we can. Congratulations on your quit! Sorry to hear about your heart attack, is your physician helping you with this quit (i.e. NRT, meds, etc)? Stay close and post often, it does make a difference! Dupe [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 250 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $51.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well thank you for the welcome, tomorrow I am going to a smoking cessation workshop. No clue but willing to give anything a try. I am looking into Chantix but I have to find out if it will be alright because I am on a butload of medications as it is. Thanks Again
17 years ago 0 948 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Afternoon Wendel, Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. Really sorry about your heart attack. The good thing is that you are still with us and have the chance to change things for yourself. Try doing the program to the left and see if it helps. There is tons of support and advise on this site. You will be amazed. We all want to see each other succeed! So stay close, keep posting. Have your plan ready and we will be here to help you. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 667 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $130 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Heh Wendel. Well done on your decision to stop smoking. You will find this a remarkable site to share your thoughts and gain more confidence. I did. I am presently on day 16 and believe me this has been a God send. Good luck to you and keep in touch. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 313 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $141 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52

Reading this thread: