Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

I had a heart attack and I have to quit smoking

17 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[color=Navy][font=Comic Sans MS]Hi Wendel I can certainly relate I too had a heart attack I was 39 that was 3yrs. ago I'm on all kinds of meds as well :( I tried cold turkey, Wellbutrin and the patch over the course of 3 yrs. I just couldn't do it, I guess I wasn't ready took me 3 yrs. after my heart attack to finally quit!!! :) I'm currently taking the new med Chantix............ WHOOO-HOOO can't believe I've not smoke in 84 days......YIPPEE Reading this board keeps me motivated. Good luck!!!!! You can do this!!![/font][/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 84 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,698 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $252 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Wendel How'd the workshop go? I'd be intereted in knowing what was discussed and what useful info you learned, as I've never been to one. btw..I come here when I have a triggered urge...seems to be working so far -aloha [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 270 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $40.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wendel - I can totally relate. Although I haven't had the heart attack cigarettes had been my crutch for over 25 years. I did not know how to cope without them (or at least I didn't think that I did) Evenings and quiet weekends were the absolute worst for me. As long as I was busy, I didn't have time to think about smoking. Ultimately, I had to change my lifestyle. Physical activity diverts our attention AND it helps us cope with stress. If I wake up feeling depressed or anxious, I know that I need to head to the gym. (In the past, I would have lit a cigarette) I used to come home and stay up till the wee hours of the morning smoking. Now I usually go to bed early and watch t.v. (I never smoked in my bed so the cravings weren't nearly as bad) Spend time with non-smoking friends or in non-smoking activities. Reward yourself! Initially it's hard to imagine that anything would be as rewarding as nicotine but eventually that supper out, new ipod, new item of clothing or whatever it is starts to make you feel good. (Rewards actually make us feel better!) Gradually, you will start to replace your smoking memories with non-smoking memories. You will learn new ways to cope with stress and new ways to relieve boredom. There is tons of support here to help you along the way....so read lots and post lots. By the way, it wouldn't hurt to do a little reading to discover why we gave cigarettes this "magical" quality anyway. (Logically it just doesnt make sense that lighting up a little stick and dragging on it can cure life's problems) Look for "The easy way to quit Smoking" by Alan Carr. Good luck and congratulations on your decision to quit. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 198 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,974 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $990 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome, Wendel! Sounds like me...I was a smoker for 34 years and smoking controlled EVERYTHING I did. I have COPD as a result. Try this---when you get home in the evening, change clothes and go for a nice long, slow walk. Visit with neighbors, etc... When you get home, find other things to keep you distracted. How about that junk drawer you have been meaning to go through? Simple word-search puzzles will see you through a crave or two... Paint that living room...it needs it now that you have quit smoking and will help with that stinky smoke smell. Let's join a gym and go there at night to change up the routine. A cooking class sounds like a lot of fun. Keep busy! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 201 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,083 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1608 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Wendell, Dovo has the idea down pat... "replace one habit with another" Take deep breaths while craving in the first few days...one moment at a time auntdeb :) ps oh by the way...can't stress enough...read, read, read....this place is a store house of ideas and information to help you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 86 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,325 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $408.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Several people I've known over the years who started smoking told me that they loved it because it helped kill time. But the truth is that they just stopped doing everything else that they were doing before and replaced it with smoking. It's an addiction and your mind plays tricks on you as it tries to help you give reason to keep smoking. Start reading books at a book store, going to the gym, go to the movies, basically anything at any place that doesn't allow smoking. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 87 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,497 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $565.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wendel Read all this over and over its good advice!! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 232 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,112 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1218 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 682 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wendel, welcome and all that happy stuff..... You must find things to do at the apartment...heck you live in NYC there must be loads of things to do!!! Also, how about a hobby? I have taken up crotching at night to keep hands and mind busy....watch all the scarfs my family gets for holidays!!! Also, have a question for you....don't you get splinters chewing on the pencils? Why not use them and learn to draw/doodle? Buy a note book of plain paper and create a nonsmokers art book! Good luck and stay close....you are too young to test the waters any further! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,248 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $255.44 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wendel my name is Karen. I'm new to this board too, I quit smoking - after 33 years on Monday. Main reason I had severe chest pains and received the big warning, quit now or die of a heart attack. So, I "missed" what you got. I'm very happy to hear though that you made it thru. Like you I find not smoking at work much easier than at home. So what am I doing? Wearing the patch - I would have tried Chantrix but it's not available here in Canada. Keeping busy. My husband is a smoker but he has been very supportive, cleaned up all the ashtrays and he doesn't smoke near me. I've been going to the gym - another suggestion from the dr's and making friends with the treadmill. Walking longer walks with our dog - who loves it. Bought a puzzle to do - keeps my mind occupied and hands plus it's something I'm not used to doing. I'm trying to loose weight too so I can't just sit around (sometimes feeling sorry for myself). My husband also hypnotises me at night - he's a professional hypnotist - which really helps with the relaxation. I'm also trying to stay away from the triggers i.e. coffee with a smoke, smoke after dinner, you know what I mean breaking/changing the ways I use to do things. Is it easy, no it's not. Do I miss smoking? Yes I do. But all the warnings over the years have finally hit home, quit or die. I've come to the conclusion that I like living, I want to around to spend time with husband and my son. I want to be around to do the things that I love to do. I want to be around to live. Smoking was important to me but living is much more important. I've heard all this stuff before, I'm sure you have too. But I was very lucky I got a warning that really made me listen. I hope you can do this too. I've been reading lots of posts on here and it has helped. Good luck and I hope you keep coming back - it works and you're worth it. Karen
17 years ago 0 97 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wendel, You're doing great! Stress? No problem - read a quick Tutti. When you've finished LYAO you should feel better. Remember this?... [i]"Have you noticed that in those movies, the pretty people are always Non Smokers? The smokers seem to mostly look like the town drunk. (Crap, I hope there are no town drunks here.)"[/i] Tutti, you're too much. I'm still laughing. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 893 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $269.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52

Reading this thread: