Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

And He Coughs Part II

18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK everyone. Cross your fingers, hold your breath, say your prayers or whatever it is you do....Tomorrow is the big day for Dad. We just got back from Walmart. We got him the patch and that's the method he is going to use. I'm not backing down. I keep telling him how excited I am that he is quitting and that he can do it. Even had the conversation about how it will be harder for him than it was for me. NOT! Told him that was bull and it wasn't going to work. It won't be any harder or easier than it was for me. Quitting is quitting. Just asking for all the prayers possible for extra help here. Thanks everyone. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 251 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,038 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $878.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
The quit has begun. I am just as nervous about Dad's quit as I was about my own. What a strange feeling. It's really going to be tough to keep my mouth shut and let him do it his way. For the first time in all my adult life there are no cigarettes in my house. This war can be won. One smoker at a time. I'm just venting here because I am really worried. I want him to succeed so bad but I know I can't do it for him. All I can do is ramble to all of you. :p I guess I'll be quiet now. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 252 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,058 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $882 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
Dad celebrates his 60th birthday tomorrow. What a gift. I have been so worried about his breathing lately. You can hear him weeze from across the room or from another room entirely. He also coughs all the time for long periods of time. He won't be a cold turkey like us though. I took him last night to get the patches to give him a better chance. I am hoping that will help him get the confidence he needs to get going. What ever works. I have also read him Duffis and Nan's stories and Joe's "Are you trying to Quit" post. Now I guess the best thing for me to do is sit back and wait. Answer any questions and just leave him be. Thanks for being there tonight MC~. I appreciate it! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 252 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,058 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $882 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
LOL Mc. Definately old school! Although for the 2 years he has lived with us we have been trying to reform him. Yes this is Day one. He began just a couple of hours ago. He is a 2-3 pack a day smoker and is already pacing. I'm quietly leaving him alone. So far so good. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 252 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,059 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $882 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
Still going. Jan...I got your message. Thanks N2K for bringing me back to reality. I really needed that. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 254 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,096 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $889 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
Just a quick update... the patch is on. That is all I know because I'm not asking. It is none of my business! As far as I know, he never did go back outside last night. The quit goes on.... I guess we call this Day 2. I vow to keep my mouth shut and stay out of the way and have advised the children to do that same. There is a cranky old man in our house. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 254 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,093 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $889 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
I'm ready now. This is even harder than I thought it would be. Dad quit last night at 9:30. He did really well today until about 4:00 when he went and bought cigarettes and smoked one. Well, he got my lecture on quit is quit and smoking is smoking and I probably laid it on way too thick. He told me he has done very well to only have one cigarette and to just leave him alone. I came into my room and dealt with my emotions and left him alone. The first thing I saw was Duffis post on anger. I read it, left it, went back to it�about three times but couldn�t come to terms with this post on anger so I decided I would keep going back to it until I could. About three hours later, over his birthday dinner with company, we talked about it and our company praised him on only having one cigarette. His whole face lit up. He proceeded to tell them that he would probably have one more before he went to bed and then put the patch on in the morning (no he did not use the patch today). That is when I realized that this is HIS quit not MINE. He must do it on his terms and I need to stay out of it. I was so upset when I found out he smoked. I thought this is it, it�s over. Well it isn�t over until it�s over. This is me shutting my big mouth. I guess I really wasn�t helpful. I humbly went in just now and told him he was doing great and that I am proud of him. That is when he informed me that he had thought several times about going back outside to smoke but he resisted. This is progress. He is "trying" to quit and just maybe he will. There is always hope. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 253 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,078 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $885.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
LOL Pam. In my initial response I did take the cigarettes!!!! I wound up getting so angry that I politely put them on the table and walked away. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 253 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,078 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $885.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
18 years ago 0 388 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, Sending you my support for you and your dad....ramble on all you need to...you if anyone knows everyone will be here for you :) Saying a prayer for your dad and you...just remember lots of deep breaths this weekend.... Luv Ya, SweetPea~ [IMG]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1693/nonic20067dg.jpg[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/29/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 193 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,328 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $866.57 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good to hear that your dad's quit is going well. I will keep both of you in my prayers. Keep us updated... we're all very interested to see how his quit progresses. I'm sure you will do a fine job of supporting and encouraging him without going overboard with it. Best wishes to you both! Crave the Quit! Bfs [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 133 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,349 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $438.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51

Reading this thread: