Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

And He Coughs Part II

18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, I'm so sorry to hear that!!! I had such high hopes for this quit to stick, as I'm sure we all did, not least of which was you, of course. This is so awful! But you're right... he has to quit for himself. I can't tell you how many times I thought I could have "just one" now, and then "just one" later, and then "just one" more until it was "just one" carton. I hope your dad's a quicker learner than I was! Keep your spirits up (yes, I know... easier said than done). You're right that "it isn't over until it's over." I commend you for not trying to overtake his quit by taking the cigarettes or something like that. Just keep the faith. Crave the Quit! Bfs [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 134 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,372 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $442.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
Well, great minds think alike!!!! That's most certainly what I would have done too!!!! Although, as we both know, that's not the best solution and it's not going to stop him from going and buying more. But if it makes you feel better, I woulda done the same thing!!! :eg: Crave the Quit! Bfs [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 134 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,372 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $442.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
[size=4][color=red]YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size][/color] Your prayers are maybe finally being answered!!!!! I know you can't totally get your hopes up yet because many of us (myself most certainly included) had to quit MANY times before the one that finally stuck. But I hope that this is the one for your dad!!! I say just answer his questions when he asks... don't be too pushy. But keep track of his milestones. I think that's important... show him that you're proud of him by saying "congratulations on 1 day quit... congratulations on 1 week quit." If he knows that you're proud of him and that you're watching what he's doing, I doubt he'll want to let you down. It's not you being pushy, but it's you showing your support for him. I really hope this works. Just keep praying and encourage him often and tell him that he's doing a great job. Hopefully he will stick to the quit! Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/butterfly3.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,166 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $415.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, My daughter was born on the 10th day of a month, so it sounds to me like the 10th will be your dads rebirth as an ex-smoker! Keeping him in my thoughts! Best wishes. Joe [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 298 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,472 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $730.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 52 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$36,326.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9766 Hours: 11

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, That is some great news!! The mighty oak tree starts out as a tiny seed... the "quit seed" has been planted.. time to nurture it and watch it grow! I don't know if it will help, but here is the [url=http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?topic=23206&forum=1]link[/url] to my "trying to quit" post. Print it out for him. He may enjoy the read. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed! Best wishes to him and to you, his shining example. :) [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 292 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,317 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $715.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
  • Quit Meter

$36,326.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9766 Hours: 11

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was under the impression he was maintaining his quit. If he is smoking, I have to agree with Ladybugg. He has to keep it out of the house, one way or the other. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 300 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,019 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1140 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
That's wonderful news, Lady! :) It means he's deep into nicotine deprivation. Can't get there by smoking. Seems to be a bit of like-father-like-daughter going on, too. Payback time? ;) You can handle it, Lady. Scream all you want, we'll cover our ears. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 300 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,012 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1140 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
Lady, I have what may be a really stupid question, but here it is anyway: Where is he getting his smokes? Do you have any control over that part at all? Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 301 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,033 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1143.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
You're both still in my prayers, Lady. Even though your Dad hasn't quit in a manner we deem desireable, he is down to only 2 a day. Even though we do caution them, we accept those who choose ahead to quit by cutting back over time. I see no reason to not accept someone who decides after their "quit date" that cutting back is better for them, too. We can think of it that way, or we can call it two slips a day and be unhappy about it. I choose the former. However, that is not without restrictions. There must be a continuous reduction, ultimately resulting in 0 cigarettes in a reasonable amount of time. I expect that should not exceed the time spent using patches as prescribed on their box. Notice the reduction must be continuous; there can never be a reversal. Let him know how proud you are of him cutting back to just 2 a day and how you're looking forward to the day it will be 0. Right now the thing he needs the most is positive reenforcement. Any negative will just stress him and make him want to smoke more. Remember, even though he's still smoking some, he's still in nicotine deprivation and is experiencing some withdrawl. Depression could be one of those. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 296 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,921 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1124.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 55 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
You're Dad and you are in my prayers, Lady. Strength, wisdom, and tolerance. We're behind both of you all the way. :) Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 290 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,819 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1102 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 54 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4

Reading this thread: