Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,642 Members

Please welcome our newest members: JARCA, JCONOPIO, SBUENVIAJE, RSUNGA, FJANA MARJORIE

Venting

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds like you have alot of insight into what is going on with you.  I think this is awesome. 
I really appreciate the education about BPD and it's many facets from your experience as well as the book explanation.  
I hope you keep up with the survival book, and this program and continue to post.

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Furgittit,

Thanks for sharing your BPD experience and knowledge. Mental illnesses are complex and each individual can experience them differently. Remember that we are always here for you and you are never wasting our time by posting. The survival guide sounds quite interesting. Keep up posted on how that is going.

Members, please continue adding to this definition (BPD) if you are familiar with it.

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BPD for me is complete emotional chaos, sad to anger and back again in the blink of an eye, very little happiness but alot of confusion.  There is paranoia involved because you believe people are thinking things or saying things that are negative to you, even though they may not be.  It is like living in a world where no-one understands you because you cannot understand them, even if you clearly present a question, they seem to avoid the question and talk in circles and you never seem to get a clear answer. 
There seems to be alot of invalidation of emotion on the part of my health care providers or complete avoidance.  Some seem to make me feel as though I am wasting their time and not worth even being there.  Some say the answer is to leave my husband and then all my problems would disappear.  I don't understand the why of this and I probably never will, every relationship has ups and downs and seems lopsided from time to time but to discard a committed relationship will not completely make my problems go away.
I don't know who I am, because I am so much to everyone else and I need to find a way to find out who I am. Ahh to win the lottery and go away by myself for a month to figure everything out would be nice, but not realistic. 
My hubby and I have been together for over 20 years so unstable relationships, I am not sure, but it is much easier to avoid those relationships that cause excess emotional upheaval when I feel that I am not a valid part of the relationship, ie, friends and family and health care professionals who say you shouldn't feel that way, or get over it and then decide the conversation should be about them and all of their emotional baggage.
The Survival Guide that I am reading is very helpful and I am beginning to understand a little more about BPD but then again one size does not fit all so I am having to weigh in other factors while I am reading the Survival Guide.  On top of BPD I have depression, anxiety  and OCD which may complicate things, if I can ever find a treatment, or a qualified BPD therapist.  It is very frustrating and at times very lonely, when you feel that no-one can understand you or where you are coming from.
Some view BPD patients as manipulative, we are not manipulative, just very misunderstood and we try and try and try to get our thoughts across and our actions may seem like "cries for help or just another attempt to get attention" when in fact we are looking for ways to release some of our inner pain (such as self-harm, anger and avoidance) and we do not have the skills or ability to release or cope with these emotions in any other way.
So in a nutshell BPD is the inability to regulate emotions in a manner accepted by society, as the norm.  From what I have learned, 2% of the population has BPD, BPD is often mistaken for Bipolar Disorder (due to the mood swings, which can be broad, but the duration of which is not quite as long, Bipo's have extended periods of manic episodes and depressed episodes, people with BPD tend to go from baseline (for me sad) to angry to sad in a matter of minutes (again very few ups or good times)), BPD is not usually "just BPD" it is usually coupled with other disorders, such as PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, OCD etc. But this is not to say that just because you have PTSD, Depression or any other disorder that you automatically have BPD or vice versa.  Mental health is not an exact science, and I believe (from what I have learned) that mental health is both a chemical imbalance/misfiring, whatever and partially life experience.
Wow, I read this over a couple of times and I seem to be on the ball today, I hope it is clear to everyone else who reads this post.  If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to post them.
Thanks
14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
First of all when it comes to mental illness we are always learning and our definitions are always changing.  Furgittit how would you describe border line personality disorder? 

To my understanding people with borderline can have trouble with mood instability, personal relationships and behavior regulation.  Due to mood instability people with BPD can make impulsive or aggressive choices.  Due to fluctuating sense of self people with BPD may feel that they are bad or unworthy.  They may feel misunderstood or mistreated.  People with BPD can have trouble maintaining personal relationships.  BPD is more common then Bipolar Disorder and is more common in females. 

Members, please add to this definition if you are familiar with the disorder.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What is boderline personality disorder?

Were you diagnosed with this? What are the symptoms?

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
furgitit - I can't see very good, so I may misspell your name, but I won't shorten it.  If you s-p-e-l-l it out for me, I may remember (I may not, but I've given it my best shot).  I am particular about my real name.  So I understand where you are coming from on that "shortened" version being a pet peeve. 

I don't know much about BPD nor do I know about treatment options.  I am glad you found a book that can help you and in which you seem to be finding some answers.  Keep reading and educate me a bit on what you learn.  I am interested in learning about lots o' stuff! 

And yes, keep breathing.....it's a wonderful thing!  

Thanks Breanne,
I can't find much online that is directly to helping the person with BPD directly, it is more support groups for the family members of the person diagnosed with BPD or they just want to sell you something, aargh.
I did pick up a survival guide for people and families with BPD yesterday, I have only made it to chapter 3 but so far so good.  If anyone wants to check it out, it is one of the few books that Chapters carries about Borderline Personality Disorder and it says survival guide in the title, which I thought was cool.
The guide is really opening my eyes as to the why I am the way I am, I haven't gotten to the help part yet, but things are making more sense to me now.
14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The Mods are always around

How are you doing? Any luck finding out more information on BPD?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
Hellooooooo!!!!!!!  Is anyone out there???????????
No activity since my last post, I may be getting paranoid here.
Breathing, breathing, still breathing, just kidding, but I thought I'd ask.
Thank you everyone for your help for the past couple of weeks.
I am just wondering if anyone on this site has Borderline Personality Disorder and if there may be an online support group somewhere, I have looked, but my style of thinking has gotten me no-where in finding a BPD online support group.
Thanks everyone and have a great day.
Oh and a quick one, I never did like shortened names, my online name is furgittit, even if it is mispelled that is ok but please (my psychotic nature) use the full name (Fur sounds a little raunchy, my crazy thinking).  Not to give anyone heck just for future reference.  Sorry.

Reading this thread: