Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Just to say hello

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
SIM

I have a first times rule. Our goal is to be able to do any thing we want to any time we want to and it will happen but you know that some times it takes a lot of exposure to get to this point so here is where my first times rule comes in and there are good reasons for it which I will outline. What would I do? Since this is a first time and you do not know how it will go, I would use medication as a one time (or two or three if necessary) Thing so you can do it. I would take a valium (my choice of benzo) to calm myself and make the call. I would try to get all the issues dealt with in one shot if possible so this can fit in the first times rule but if not then do it again keeping in mind that it is a one time thing. See the thing is you want to do this successful so there is no negative carry over. If you do it successfully then if there is a next time you will be prepared to face it without the need for meds because it is no longer a first time, now it is exposure. Using medication this way is what it was designed for. On the other hand there is the psyching thing If you don't want to use the medication then just pick up the phone right now and do it to prove you can do it and let the panic run it's course and be over with. This will work but it will leave you in a state of thinking this will happen every time in the future now where the other way you will know it doesn't have to be. Also being busy right up to the moment you have to make the call helps. I hope this has been of some help.

Davit
13 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i have been having good days and bad days.
and trying to find the courage to overcome my fears to do the exposure work.
i'm not sure how to do this.
13 years ago 0 124 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red,

I am around, I guess I have been guilty of browsing the site and not posting. But I sure have been reading. I loved reading about your reward, going to the play. Laughing is really important, I'm glad that you found the play funny. 

Davit,

I am sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time, the site is just not the same without hearing from you. Check in when you can. I really could use your input right now actually....and if you have the energy please do share your insight.

I am having some difficulties reconciling some issues with a family member. Just the thought of making the phone call sends me int a full fledged panic attack. The problem is, I need to reconcile a few of our issues. Because we have a wedding to attend this summer. I feel like if i dont reconcile the issue sooner than later, I will have even more panic on the day of the wedding....and that is just not cool. Anyway, I could use your input or anyone elses for that matter...
How can I get over my panic and call this person? 

SIM
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red,

You make a good point! I am curious to hear how everyone has been doing. Have people been working through the program and using the tools and worksheets. We are all here to support and encourage each other. Please drop in let us know what you've been up to.

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can understand and respect your need to have your privacy and your need to work off your anger alone.  Take all the time you need to heal.  I will talk to you later when you are feeling better and up to it.  Hang in there.
Red

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm going through a tough time and prefer to keep it to myself besides no one seems to need my input so I am working off my anger alone doing what works for me best.

Davit.
Good morning,
Where is everybody?  Its been real quiet around here lately.  How is everyone doing?  Just wondering!!

Red
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cleo,
good for you for taking care of yourself and giving yourself some times. I baked some muffins yesterday too. 

Hi Red,
good job at getting some rest too. I'm also taking advantage of the blog on this site to just update my progress to see how much I change. 

13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red,

Thanks for stopping by.  It sounds like you are doing exactly what you need.  Good for you for being self aware and taking action when needed.  I am glad you have been fully utilizing the program tools!  I will be sure to stop by your blog.

Ashley, Health Educator
I thought I would stop in and say hi to everyone.  Hope you have all been doing fine.  I have been reading, and working the program daily.  I have taken to writing in my blog it is a way for me to express my feeling and thoughts when I need to without making it a group discussion.  I find this a very comfortable form of expression for me and very low stress. I have  also been working on quitting smoking on the sister site and am doing very well on their program.  I have also been busy with my hobbies, gardening, sewing, reading and such.  I am learning about and practicing self care and am beginning to feel really good again.  I have been much more relaxed and the anxiety/panic is getting much better.  Working this program has really been good for me. 

Red

Reading this thread: