Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Venting

13 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi all,

thanks for the advice and thoughts.
i found it very helpful.
i am definitely continuing to monitor when symptoms
occur so that I can see if i get more anxious during
certain times.
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
I was going to write about that! Well, I haven't checked to see if my cycle personally matches with the moon cycle but I was going to say that I've heard that full moons actually change people's moods. But yes, the female menstrual cycle is usually 28 days approximate as the moon's. That is why the moon represents femininity and the sun masculinity. The 'diagnoses' I wrote about earlier is specifically Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) and I read that this eases after you give birth.. but then after birth you have postpartum disorders.. so who knows. But in the end it is best if we all (men, women, kids, others) can keep our hormones in balance. 

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anerol

Just curious if you have been keeping track with a calendar how do they match up with moon phases. Could they coincide with a new moon or a full moon?

Davit
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Carnations,
I think the main road to recovery is knowing that there is this cycle of ups and downs. But even though there are downs if you know that an up will come the next day, that is probably when you are 'enlightened'. I hear it takes a lot of practice to get there but it's there. I also have extra anxiety a week before my period until like the 2nd day in. I usually get a slight fever and I become really dizzy and get hot. I also feel fatigued and nauseous and I get depressed and anxious. But I'm learning my pattern now since I've been jotting it down on my calender. I've heard they have a diagnoses for some women who have emotional unstablitlity during their menstruations and they actually prescribe them to anti-depressants... just because of periods. 

Cleo

I can't change the dream while it is a dream so much as that conscious  moment just as the panic wakes you when it is at its worst. You can do this any time in any situation. It is visualizing. I have a fear of getting stuck in a culvert, It is stupid right but it happens so when I start to think what it would feel like to be stuck I just visualize the culvert bigger or me smaller so I can sit sideways in it and look around. It works, it really does. About once a month I end up with a chemical imbalance that increases my tendency to get anxiety. It is part deficiency part reaction to medication. It matters not what causes it. (I don't think men get PMS but maybe we get something similar, I don't know) The point is that if I did not have coping skills I would slowly back slide but my case is different from the average person. It is harder to cope when it is medication causing the problem than just thought. I just have to adjust a few supplements and ride it out. I am good at riding it out. But for a spur of the moment stop for panic, visualization works very well. 

Davit.
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Carnations,
Hi! I know a little about increased anxiety during the weeks between ovulation and my period. I actually know too much! It happens alot to women who have PMS...since the levels of estrogen and progesterone fluctuate , it brings all sorts of emotional ups and downs,including increased anxiety. One thing that has helped me is to write down when my period is due, so I keep an eye out for the symptoms...that way I'm better prepared for them... and my reactions  are calmer. The anxiety really hasnt changed...but if I accept it then it doesn't take hold of me.
Davit,
What an amazing ability..to be able to change your dream! wow! 
Cleo
CarnationsL

Cycling is normal. How bad you cycle depends on how much you focus on the fact that the anxiety is still there. Who is the boss here. You or your anxiety. If you quit poking at it to see if it is still there it will go away. In actuality as you get better at coping by ignoring the fact that it is there the smaller and more far apart are the ups and downs till the downs just don't happen any more. Actually they still happen you just don't notice them. Take me for instance, Ate far too late last night so in the middle of the night I'm awake with a claustrophobic nightmare. What brought it on was being in a cramped position but you know how panic is, It doesn't make sense. I dreamed I was in a crowd in medieval times and I couldn't move. So I added a horse and wagon to the scene and dragged myself up into the wagon and it was gone. One of my coping skills, just change the situation. This should have been a full blown panic attack but it wasn't. So here I am this morning replaying it and replaying it is more disturbing than the actual thing. But I know what I'm doing so it has no power and although I am cycling it is a very shallow cycle and would not even be here if not for the fact that I am on this site and it is bringing it into focus. No big deal, in the future this won't even happen.

I don't know about PMS but I know that pain can cause you to focus too much on the negative things around you so I would imagine PMS does too. 

Patience, it takes time to recondition well established thought patterns but it does happen. No short cuts, no grabbing at straws just keep plugging along and one day you will notice you are better.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi carnations,

I hear that you are frustrated about feeling like you are getting better and then experiencing panic again. It is really helpful to prepare for setbacks as they can definitely occur. In fact setbacks are actually a part of the process of learning how to cope with your panic and anxiety. I encourage you to take a look at session 9: Pulling it all Together, this session discusses moving forward and setbacks. We are here for you, check in soon.

Members, has anyone experience increased anxiety during PMS?

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I am getting pretty frustrated that my anxiety seems to get better and then seems to get worse.
Is this normal ?
I thought the anxiety is supposed to get better as I have doing the
coping techniques.

Also, has anyone seem to have their anxiety get worse during PMS?

I don't watch violent programs or the news because doing so is a form of exposure, if you watch enough it's effects become blocked and it has no effect on your emotions. Violence is a painful experience, you should feel horror at it, it should not be entertainment, especially if it is real.

Davit.

Reading this thread: