Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Venting

13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ,
 I agree with you both. Anerol,  I know what you are saying... I  too  like to be informed and knowledgable  about world events...good or bad.... but I chose what I read and watch carefully.I find there's just so much graphic detail, and repetition... both in the paper and on tv. I like the analogy between eating liver and watching horrific events ...both are bad! lol.
Cleo

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anerol:  Yeah, I am similar in a way.   I choose not to watch violence against children and animals becaue it horrifies me, I can hardly sleep at night.  It's my choice and I feel it's o.k.  I understand about "exposure" exercises being necessary work towards leading a happy normal life (going out, being able to function in society), but watching something you don't enjoy or emotionally upsets you doesn't seem to be necessary to me.  It's like eating liver if you don't like it.  You can eat something else which is just as healthy.
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just yesterday we were watching a story about a stalker on tv. it was supposed to be a little comical but when the guy made a scary face and the music became suspensful i felt my heart beating faster and the nausea coming. i wanted to leave the room and at night i had a little hard time sleeping because of it. i used to watch news/documentaries about 3rd world and war stuff because i wanted to be 'understanding' and knowledgable about it, but after anxiety, it gives me a harder time.
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red,
I think people with high anxiety in general feel things deeper than most "calmer people". I'm not an expert for sure, but from reading so many of the posts here  I think its true. What do others think?  I  also have learned to select what I read and watch carefully as some of the horrible things is this world depress me  ..especially child abuse. I never watch some of the shows my hubby likes...I can easily dwell on the violence, where he thinks of the outcome. So I think its good that you realize you need to take a breather..Good for you.. Are you thinking of trying Anerol's advice about the exposure ? You can pull back whenever you need to.
Please take care of yourself 
Thinking of you,
Cleo

13 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
anerol,
Thank you for your compassionate and understanding words.  I take great comfort in them.

Red
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've noticed that after I got anxiety, I've become a lot more sensitive and would get anxious to topics that were 'nothing' to me in the past. Hearing sad/scary/angry/emotional stories does seem contagious to me more than ever... and I have hard time watching/hearing/knowing things then before. So being on this site, after reading other's stories, I've had episodes where i didn't want to hear it either. The thing I do now lately is, I try it like exposure. I see how far i can take it, but if it's a really sensitive deal, then, I'd avoid it... maybe come back later, maybe not. But if it unexpectedly happens, I'll just try to watch my anxiety. (it's easier said then done but it got easier for me). I'll watch myself and understand that, this I am sensitive about.. there's nothing wrong with it but i'm sensitive about it. Eventually it will leave me... but if it's a traumatic subject... it will take longer.
You will be greatly missed Red, just come on when you're comfortable.. that's what I do.
Hi Red:  Will be thinking of you and hope you keep in touch and don't stay away too long.  I've taken a few breaks too.

Davit:  Never annoying to hear "I won".  It gives great hope to all.  That's how I felt after all the crap I went through lately.  "I won" and wanted to share it.  You mention the quiet, shy people. That's me, took awhile for me to open up here and write so much.  Takes awhile to build up the trust and then stick your toe in.

Hope everyone has a beautiful day.
13 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have decided that I am going to have to take a back seat on the site for a while.  I will be reading but I will not be posting as much. I have decided that I need a little break from it all for while and that I need to spent some time giving myself a little self care. I wanted to let you all know so you would not worry.   I am ok.  This is just what I feel I need to do for myself and my recovery for the time being.  I hope you all will understand.

Red
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have this neat short cut feature in my computer called dashboard. In it is a short cut to google search that is fast. I was only throwing words at it to see what it could do with them. So I came to this site by accident and stayed by intention. I have been sad, happy, mad and depressed here. Basically every emotion you can think of. But I am still here which says a lot for me. The one thing that kept running through my mind was,"been there, done that". Not every thing mind you but enough to notice that there were a lot of similarities buried in the differences people were experiencing. That was when I realized that what I was seeing here was something very simple made difficult by what ever circumstance grew it. That was when I realized that this was curable. When I find something that can be done I want to do it, usually just to prove it can be done, but here was something two fold. My therapist still talks to me even though I probably drove her nuts with the questions. I learned how to sift fact from fancy with a lot of reading and cross referencing and I am still doing it. Now I need to take the final step and take some courses but not right now as I am far too busy, but it is a decision I will have to make in the near future. I don't intend to leave here, I have friends here and there is still much I can learn here but I may take a back seat and watch. Saying I won all the time can get annoying, and I'm sorry but I did and so can you. More posts people, lets see if we can drag in some more of those shy people on the edges. You can help these people we just need a way to get them in here.

Davit, Babbling tonight. 
Red:  I was not worried about where I posted it, only if it upset you, if it was my posting in the wrong place which "ambushed" you.  As Davit once anwered someone who was worried about where to post, he mentioned just posting it and that we would find it. I believe I echoed the same thing too at the time.  And as Cleo just wrote, we have compassion for all on this site positive or negative.  I felt compassion for you as you were upset this a.m. 

Reading this thread: