Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Venting

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CarnationsL

No not the benzos with the longer half life. They just need a longer period to wean off. They work by reducing the amount of information going to your brain which is normally controlled at the junction of each one of them. There are thousands if not millions of these controls that I call guards that the Benzo eliminates the need for. When you quit a benzo they have to be awakened and put back in place. Ativan with a short half life is like quitting cold turkey every day once you pass the four week or so period. My therapist would not recommend ativan and actually prefers diazepam because it is mild and proven with few side effects and the advantage that it is also a muscle relaxant. I had a lot of trouble with Ativan but still have some diazepam for emergencies, Once or twice a month.

Antidepressant are not addictive in the true sense of the word. You will be the problem, people become dependent on them to function and take them even when they don't need them just in case they do. A good doctor will cut back your dose as soon as you look like you don't need them.

SSRIs are only of use if you have a definite use for them. Other wise all you get is the sedative effect. There are different classes of anti depressants depending on which chemical they work on. Tricyclic anti depressants are mood stabilizers and work on dopamine and often work when SSRIs don't. 

Anti depressants and anti anxieties are there to keep your mind in the right frame to absorb the CBT etc. You can stay on them for ever but you will never get the freedom that you will from doing the programs slowly and thoroughly. 

Now should you switch? In my opinion, No. Add it, yes. Unless you are one hundred present positive your anxiety is caused by depressant it will leave you open to panic.  The two are often taken together in the smallest possible dose for the benzo and a regular dose of SSRI since it is working on chemical and the benzo is working on thought which can vary. SSRIs can make you suicidal if you are under twenty six or susceptible. This only lasts in older people for around two weeks. They take up to six weeks to work also.  Think on this is there something in your life making you so sad you have crossed over into depression or do you have anxiety because you are sad and it is causing negative thought.

I have stopped my tricyclic because although I am still sad that is all I am. Some of my anxiety I get from helping other people who are panicking. Sort of a kind of exposure. It is seldom bad enough to need the diazepam.

I hope this is enough information so you can make a decision. Parts of the program will be hard to do and even cause you pain but they are necessary, and this is where the medication will help. I am living (surprisingly) proof that burying negative thought with positive works. My therapist says that journaling is the best way to do this and I agree. 

Again if done with care and an open mind medication is safe and a big help, but won't cure anxiety. It only puts you in the right frame to do the program.

Any thing I can help with you only have to ask.

Here for you.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Carnations:  Speaking for myself - I no longer have panic attacks and I find coping techniques help me when I'm anxious or stressed - the SSRI Paxil helped me immensely when I was at the most anxious.  I haven't taken it for years now. It took about 4-6 wks. to work, but it did.  Now I have also heard of some who cannot use them, but I also know some who don't stay on long enough to see if they do work.  Some people experience side effects and instead of waiting it out, because these side effects often do go away, they quit too soon for the SSRI to work.  I do know one lady who needed to try three different ones before she got the one which worked best for her.  She had a hard time with side effects, but finally found one which was o.k.   I also know a guy who was ready to quit them because of the side effects.  In our support group, we encouraged him to keep going until the 6 weeks were over.  He did great, the side effects went away for him and he thanked us all afterwards.  He couldn't believe the difference it made.

Now when you are calm enough you can study the CBT program and practice all the coping techniques such as deep breathing and relaxation exercises.  You can do exposure work if you need to in your trouble areas.  Whatever you decide, do it with your doctor's knowledge and guidance.  Good luck.
13 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red, thanks for your continued support.
will definitely try to find out more.

Davit,
thanks for the information.
do you think staying on a benzo for over a year is harmful ?
my doctor also told me that antidepressants are safe
and not addictive. is this true ?
my goal is : since i still have some anxiety,
use a medication to cope with it and work on the
anxiety (CBT, therapy, etc) while on the med to cure it.
i'm just not sure if that means stay on the benzo or
switch to an SSRI.

looking forward to more of your thoughts when you're not busy.

13 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cannationsL,
I am glad to hear that you are going to do some investigating of your own on your own.  You will be surprised to hear what other patients have to said about some of these medications.  The information on this site and in this group that we all share is fine and good and valid, that being said it is also very limited, being there are not that many active members in the group.  Good luck in your search for answers....  This is progress... You will be more informed and in turn will be more equipped to  make rational decisions about your health care.  

Red
carnationsL

Here are some direct quotes from my therapist. Her words. And in my experience I would agree.

Medication will not cure anxiety. It only lets you cope.  Benzodiazapenes other than Ativan can be used till CBT or something similar cures your anxiety. No you can not stay on them forever unless you want to live in a fog with anxiety just around the corner all the time. Ativan used every day for over a month starts to do damage which is hard to undo.
SSRIs are for depression. And depression is a chemical change that has to be reversed and is done best with medication. They will cure the depression because it is chemical. But anxiety is not a chemical change but it can be influenced by chemicals. The mental side of depression can influence how you treat anxiety, so SSRIs can help anxiety but will not cure it.
CBT will cure it totally.

More about this later, I have to go help some one this morning.

Davit.
hi, red.
thanks for the advice. yes i was looking for feedback.
you said that you use benzodiazephines as needed for 5 years now.
well, i use it everyday and that is recommended by my doctor.
also, i was reading Davit's past posts about benzos, so that's why i am confused.

i will defnitely try your method of looking up the information.
13 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
carnationsL,

I was reading your post this morning and am not sure if you are looking for feedbackor not.  If you are than I would have to agree with your doctor.  The benzodiazephines have less side effect than the SSRI type drugs.  I have had benzodiazephines at my disposal to use as needed for 5 yrs now and they have not caused me a problem. The SSRI's that was a different story for me I just can't tolerate them, they made my anxiety worse climbing the walls and such and I could not concentrate.  If the benzos are working for you and helping you with the anxiety I would stick with them before I changed meds. If its not broke don't fix it.  Thats just my opinion. 
It sounds like your Doctor is looking out for your best interests. She knows you better than I do.  The decision is ultimately yours to make though. I would look up all the side effects and patient reviews on the SSRI's on line before I changed meds. All you have to do is type SSRI on your search engine like google and lots of information will come up. Pick one of the SSRI type drugs and research it than you can type in the name of that drug or any drug for that matter and patient reviews or just reviews and you can find out what real patients are saying about the medications....This my help you...Knowledge in power.
Good Luck,
Red
hi,

yesterday i had a doctor's appointment and i am quite confused.
currently, i'm on a benzodiazephine and from what i read here,
it's used for short term (up to a year without harm).
so i told my doctor about my progress and how it seems
unsafe for me to stay on it and that i am doing much much better than i
used to. however, she said that lots of her patients are taking it and
some of them take it for the rest of their lives. and i was asking her,
when will i be able to go off it and she said 'i don't know.'
she thinks the med is controlling my symptoms and thinks i should continue on it.
i still have anxiety of course and i'm still working on it with this CBT course.

however, i don't want to be on a medication that is supposed to be short term.
i indicated this to my doctor and she did suggest (after i bugged her a couple of time)
that i could go onto an SSRI. the problem is that i don't know if i should go on that.  

i am so confused with all this information given to me by my doctor and the
information that i have learnt from this program. my doctor's solution seems to be
stick me on this med for life.
13 years ago 0 124 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone,

Thank you sunny, cleo and red for the compliments on my picture, I think it's quite beautiful too!

Sunny---- Thank you very much for the suggestions regarding my family member issue. I think I will use some of the tips you gave me and try to get this done in the next few days. I keep putting it off, but I think I will feel much better once I get it out of the way. I'll definitely jot down a few ideas and have it ready for the call. 

Red---- I will definitely have to get my hands on a camera! One day. And I am SUPERRRRR impressed that your partner took this pic! It is UNREAL! Bravo!

SIM
Cleo

I bought a new BP machine that has a quieter pump in it and doesn't do a double pump if my BP is above normal. My old one used to send me into anxiety and of course then it would go up. I take it two or three times five minutes apart usually while I am doing something relaxing and pleasant and average it. I take Atenolol because I am mildly Hypertensive. I have my Doctors permission to take an extra one if it won't come down.

Davit

Reading this thread: