Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Lousy Day

15 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Ya Guys:

Don't know what phase this disorder is in now, but a lot of anger.  At times you don't even feel like yourself,( I don't mean I feel like someone else, just not my usual).  Seem to be getting overwhelmed (my favorite new word) by some kind of feeling that builds up to a pitch.  Am I making any sense?

Anyone else been or going through this phase?

Please someone say yes!
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Joe,

From what I know, Valerian root is often used for insomnia mostly. It is also used for anxiety and restlessness. It is pretty safe to use. But be careful if you drink alcohol, if you have liver problems and it causes drowsiness. Some sites I read suggested Valerian root can also cause dependance and stopping valerian root after long usage can lead to withdrawal symptoms. Plus, it may be natural but it can still have medical interactions with your other medecines and supplement so you should really talk to your doctor or pharmacist before you start taking it. Pharmacists are pretty good about knowing this stuff.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Hi Ya Joe:

I thought I would try researching things for you but it started getting me very anxious, so I'm afraid I won't be doing that kind of research anymore.

My essay is going to be focusing on Mood Disorders and alternatives to medication, but only in respect to the following topics:

Psychotherapy
 Relaxation
Yoga
Tai Chi
Mindfullness Meditation

Hi Ya Joe:

Congrats on your exposure phase, sounds like your enjoying it which will make it a lot easier.

I don't think it sounds cold what you said about letting go. I agree with you but just find it very hard to do, I am slowly trying.

As for your question about valerian root and "body calm", well it will take me a bit of time to do some research.  But I'll get back to you.
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Caden,

Exposure therapy has had it's ups and downs, but I'm really not doing too bad.  The main thing is that I'm keeping with it, and trying out new things as they come...and coming to a sort of peace with the issue, or finding a way to have fun with it.  It's kinda cool, actually.

Letting go definitely isn't easy.  I tend to try and go with the moment, where I actively look for a solution at that moment and if I can, then I take it.  If I don't, I let go.  Sounds so cold, but really sometimes exactly what's needed is a moment to let things calm down before you can react.

Of course, this is a give and take method, meaning it there are withdrawal-like symptoms when I can't let go.  But I usually talk with a friend or loved one when I can't, and come up with some sort of resolution.

Since your studying medicine for school, I've got a question for you Caden:  have you heard about valerian root?  I've heard it's a great supplement to take for anxiety, particularly when you're getting off other anxiety meds...matter of fact, I've heard it's the best, with the least amount of side effects.  But I've also read that if you take it too long, that you grow a dependency.  What's your take on that? 

Also, on the same subject, I've noticed other anxiety meds, particularly one called "body calm", and it's main ingredient is melatonine...something meant to promote sleep.  Think it's safer to take the over the counter meds, or prescribed ones?

Here, here, I second that about it not being easy to let go of the past.  

Gene you are not alone in the sinner department, we have lots of company.

Hi Ya Brenna:

I actually have a set a goal to get back in the workforce in my field of Accounting.  The first step I have already taken, going to college for a re-integration program which involves volunteer work and co-op placement later on next year.  So in spite of all my lousy days, I keep focused on my goal (which ain't too easy sometimes).
15 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Letting go of the past....

I guess the worst is guilt. The other stuff is easy for me to do but for a sinner like me letting of the past is difficult.

I like Brenna's advise about looking forward to something in the future. But it isn't easy.
15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cm,

Have you set up some goal for your future? Instead of dwelling on the past, try working towards achieving a future goal. I know this is easier said than done but creating goals is a great exercise that helps us move forward.

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator

Hi Ya Joe:

How is the exposure plan working out?

What you said about "Maybe we should apply our theory of how we judge others, to ourselves..." is easier said than done, because we are our own worst enemy.  In the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction course I took there is a mediation called "Loving Kindness". a generosity and compassion toward oneself, toward others, and toward the Earth.  I know I haven't been practicing this mediation at all.

As for "And never forget to let go of what's done, then keep moving forward.".  Letting go of the past is really a big issue for me as I just keep piling it on and on.  It's funny I know letting go is the right thing to do but I can't or won't do it.

Reading this thread: