Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Lousy Day

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cm,   Sorry to hear you have been having a rough day. However, you are lucky to receive some incredible advice from other members here. When reading through other members' posts, is there anything you have identified with or something that you would want to try that sounds helpful? Members often find it useful to challenge these negative thoughts when they are trying to cope. How have you found this in the past? By confronting these negative and often scary thoughts, individuals can begin to truly understand their current state of mind and what they can do for the future.   Also, it is encouraged that you speak to your doctor about these thoughts concerning your mom.
  Crabbyroad, thank you for sharing your story. I love your quote about wanting answers yesterday. Very telling.  

Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As with any illness, disease, broken marriages,etc, you go through denial (this can't be panic, must be something majorly wrong with me), to anger (why me) to acceptance. When you accept it , you move forward, this doesn't mean you succumb and give up, but you get a plan to work on it-as you have done here. The thoughts of hurting yourself or your mom will dissipate and disappear, many a year I had vivid images of me freaking out in the car and what if I yanked the handle and flung myself out of the car-I wasn't suicidal, I was frozen with fear of the "what if I do", I didn't merely stop there, I played the whole scenario, so gruesome, Stephen King wouldn't be able to describe it in a book. It never happened, and those thoughts are a very distant memory. Remember when you are thinking, you are focused on the thoughts of what if, you are not stating, I want to hurt...., we are very analytical people (proven with PD), and we want answers....yesterday.

As far as wishing and looking at what you perceive to be normal people of what they can do and what we cannot can be holding you back. Sure I see people driving around, I can not, successful jobs, of which I had and don't any longer. But over the years, my perception of success is within myself. I have a father who is quite successful and measures others the same way, for years I never felt I made him proud, or measured up to him due to my disorder-ironic that I felt this way, when he really was an absent father in my life during my childhood.  Me seeking approval from someone that wasn't there for me? I have a brother that plays into this twisted mind games of being successful to gloat of big homes, nice cars-but time tells this is not what is reality. His family suffers and is in turmoil with his teenagers since he is on the road so much, his marriage is suffering for it, he works so hard to maintain this lifestyle-he has given himself a heart attack. And here I sit, sure I have PD, my life isn't what I envisioned yet, but my husband who doesn't make the big bucks, is a loving husband, he is home every night, he has always been there for his children, I consider myself the blessed one, whereas I used to think the others had it made. Life isn't about how big your four walls are, it is what you know you have achieved within yourself everyday. You are compassionate person, caring, you are determined to work this through, some days will be harder than others, but you will only be the stronger for it.   

15 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

You know what guys I can only focus on what I can't overcome.  I break down everyday and cry.  Today is an especially bad one, I don't know maybe there is an element of feeling sorry for myself.   I am so sick of the constant battle, the mood changes, the thoughts from who knows where they come.  The one thought that scares the hell out of me is about hurting my mum, even typing this is so hard for me to do.  I love my mum more than anything in the world and just the fact of having this thought gets me so depressed, I can't stand it.

I just feel like crawling in a hole some place. 

What the heck is this thing that we sometimes have very scary thoughts like this?

It gets you that you don't want to go on anymore.  I have read other peoples posts and they have the same thoughts.  How am I supposed to cope with something that is so terrifying to me?

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi CM,   I would like to second the comments made by Diva with respect to all your successes to date. Given all the challenging situations and feelings, you really have come a long way and I hope you are acknowledging these successes and accomplishments for yourself.   The anger and frustration you experience daily is understandable. But is there some way you can force yourself to have a positive thought each morning on the streetcar? When you feel angry at others for being able to go to work, perhaps you could flip that emotion into gratitude............feeling grateful that you have the opportunity to do the re-integration program and that you are not stuck in a job you hate like so many people out there. Just a thought............   Hope this week is better for you!     Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HEy CM,
I think you are very brave for all the big changes you are making in your life. You really are I wish you could see as I do all the successes you are piling up. Going to school, streetcars and everything. You should be so proud of yourself. And it does get better. I remember heading to school and every instant was a moment of sheer terror! And then with thought challenging and just repetition it started getting easier. It gets better so hang in there. And don't forget to pat yourself on the back for all the great things you accomplish!
15 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CM,

Yes you are getting "flooding" exposure right now. I get knocked out of kilter with changes, to others that would seem so minor, example if my husband's work shift hours got changed, it knocked out my routine and my panic surfaced, but finally learned to cope after it was consistent. When my daughter was old enough to drive and go out with friends, I went through the same stage, ditto with two moves in 5 years. Although it helped prepare me in some ways. When my son left for college 3 hours away, I was sure I would go through the stage again, although I kept thinking in my mind, oh well, I will probably have this panic till I'm used to it, it did not come this time. Perhaps I knew ahead of time, that I was already rationalizing a change and that it would not be my panic going out of control, but rather the change that would attribute to it-that I had mentally coped beforehand and nothing happened when it did.     

15 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Ya Sarah:

It's like Gene said, moods seem to change with the wind - I know mine does.  I can be walking outside by myself then start thinking about the things in life that I don't have, well - like a life and I get very down.  Then when I come back home I usually have a good cry.

As for a reason, personally I think my moods have changed (and not for the better) since starting school.  After 31 years out of school this is overwhelming.  After being out of whack for a year and a half and counting and basically doing not much except having about 70 panic attacks and major depression all of which has left me feeling very worthless and defective.  I have now flung myself back into society, big time.  So there is a lot of anger for having this disorder in the first place and anger at the fact that every morning when I am on the streetcar going to school I see all the people going to work and I get angry at the fact I can't do that. Anger at the fact I'm getting angry (the feedback loop), anger at the fact I don't see this ending & think what next?

Overwhelmed at being back in society, english homework assignments, going on the streetcar in the morning rush hour with crowds just to name a few.

I see myself as one big emotional mess and wonder if I have finally run the gamut on mood disorders.  I can only hope and pray that this is the last one!

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Heya CM,

Phases, yes, I have had those. Life is full of phases and cycles. So is recovery from this disroder. I am sorry to hear you feel so angry. But as has been mentionned, anger is perfectly normal. And how are you today? How was your day?
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cm,   How have you been doing since your last post? You mentioned that you are experiencing a lot of anger right now. Is there something that has recently happened in your life that has made you angry or even overwhelmed? Have you been challenging these negative thoughts?   Experiencing anger and feelings of being overwhelmed are completely common, especially in periods of change or adjustment.   Members, have you ever experienced these phases? Please share your stories!     Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes!!!! I have been through many phases... I have also had many strange feelings. Like the one you describe as building up to a pitch. I have had feelings of real pressure on my chest. Of dizziness etc. It kind of changes like the wind.  

Reading this thread: