Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,707 Members

Please welcome our newest members: HIngle_McCringleberry, DezSkin, josephinee, KPALMA, plouds

Quote of the Day Part Two

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

There is no difference other than attitude and what is attached to the thought, is there. Symptoms are the same. One mans pain is another mans pleasure.
By attitude I mean looking forward to something or dreading it.
Attitude can be changed by changing how you think and feel after you perform something you dread. Especially if it is something you have to do often. It won't change the symptoms but it will change how you feel toward the action to the point that it becomes neither anxiety or eager, but just is. It becomes routine and of little value. Just something you do because you do.

Davit
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dedicate yourself to the good you deserve and desire for yourself. Give yourself peace of mind. You deserve to be happy. You deserve delight.
- Mark Victor Hansen

I seem to have trouble having peace of mind, since I feel so scattered.  I wonder what the difference is between "anxiety" and eagerness?
There is something good in all seeming failures. You are not to see that now. Time will reveal it. Be patient.
- Sri Swami Sivananda

I need to take the sting out of a perceived awful event, which is just small compared to other events.

Today a wonderful humidifier seemed unacceptable to mom.  I think she tried to adjust it, and I think she inadvertently raised the volume, so it was uncomfortable.  Meanwhile I'm trying to stay composed to resolve this situation, while dealing with her resistance to having a reasonable climate for sleeping, with all her other concerns.
Davit,
It's hard to ignore the retirement invitations, but I've connected them to my spam folder, which I still have to check.  I have to check since some "wanted" emails go there anyway.

Also, I might go to a funeral, of a particular person or two, who I do respect, but I've left  the others in the past, to the degree that I can.

Another connected trigger for my anger was that I'd made a suggestion to a local civic employee, and they ignored me 4 times(3 emails and voicemail), so I wrote to the boss, and finally got a response, but without admitting that I'd been ignored.  The reason, I believe, for not admitting there was any error, was there had been a regional scandal, highest level dismissal and revocation of a false credential.

All I was trying to do was make a suggestion, and actually be thanked, and I was thanked.  What I did was channel my anger by being assertive for a change, and I actually got a response!   I also had checked the pay levels of the people in the system I was writing to, and there were millions of dollars of tax payer money in salaries, let alone projects which were being planned, as the tax payers quietly just live their work and "trust" the civil servants.

Maybe the real trigger here is when I do something which competes, rather than supports my priorities.  I don't have time for civic engagement, so I guess I slipped.  What I've done is start a bucket list, for when I have more time, and caregiving is over. 

It's not cynical to think there is a lot of apathy in the civil service, unless it's pay day, or there's a missing nickel on a paycheck, and then there's interest.

Not enough information. Whose retirement? How many people, how many negatives verses positives? Are you not going for the right reason. Seems to me that just gives them another turn of the knife. It gives them a chance to make you more like them. And so far the only one getting hurt is you. The way I see it is you have to either go and face them or just say, it is in my past, I'm not interested. You have to be the reason not to go not them, you have to have control, not them. You could go for closure just to see how much better you are than them and then leave. Or you can admit they still bother you and you need to work on it by shrugging off the invitation. It isn't part of your life anymore is it?

Just my opinion you can ignore me, after all this is forums.

Davit
Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.
- Vincent Van Gogh

Focusing on these things, as opposed to those negative triggers, is important.

This was prevalent this morning, since I woke with anger towards a former colleague.  I was invited to a retirement party, where I will not attend, since there are a number of people who made a negative environment worse.
10 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life 
which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." 
 €” Henry David Thoreau

My dream is to defeat my anxiety &negativity and become normals in my routine activities.

rohit131
Sorry, but for us a day with no challenge and no chance of failure is still a victory. You will see this when CBT takes hold and you get through the day automatically with no conscious fight.
Nothing in life is ever meaningless. There is always something to be gained. Be it little more than a lesson.
This man has a stick up his …… and doesn't know how to enjoy life.

Davit
If there exists no possibility of failure, then victory is meaningless.
- Robert H. Schuller

This sounds like asking for some challenge, doesn't it?

Reading this thread: