Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Resources

6 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Dave for the recommendation!  I will check this out.  I listen to a lot of podcasts.  The Bubble Hour has been a source of inspiration for me these past few years. 
6 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Podcasts are a great source of knowledge and a typically free to listen to......

There is a really good one called "The Over-whelmed Brain" Personal Growth for Critical Thinking. 

Lot's of good stuff on there.

6 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Here's an interesting start point for those that need some extra motivation on week 1......

http://thesoberschool.com/start-here/

It's free and you'll get a daily email for the 7 days with a video from Kate and PDF workbooks to go along with it. The first week can be pretty tough. The extra motivation will help you along. Stay focused!

Dave848
7 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Foxman!  I'll look into that today!
7 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I saw "The Shift" featuring Wayne Dyer on Youtube, really nice. 
7 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for starting this thread about resources.

I watched My Name was Bette yesterday and it was sobering, literally.  If there's anyone out there wondering what long term alcohol abuse could lead to, this is the documentary to watch. 

Wasted, from the Nature of Things which was also fascinating and informative.   

I think I'm going to read Marc Lewis' Biology of Desire next.  

Thanks again to everyone who has suggested resources!
7 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cool deal. Will give it a try. I have been meditating on Binaural beats for 15 minutes daily with the head phones.
7 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been using a great resource since the new year.  The app "Insight Timer" is free and there is a 365 Meditation Challenge which is a great resource if you are looking to begin meditation but not sure where to start.  Day one begins with an introduction and one minute of meditating.  Day two builds with more info and a two minute meditation.  This meditation course continues for 20 days.  Start at Day one and try it out.  There are lots of other guided meditations if you so choose and the app will track your progress.
Lately, I have been listening to a wonderful podcast that really feeds my soul: Krista Tippett's "On Being".  It is full of interviews of poets, philosophers, writers, artists, musicians, religious leaders, researchers etc; people who are grappling with life's challenges and meaning.  
Interviews include Mary Oliver, Eckhart Tolle, Dalai Lama, Paulo Coelho (The Alchemist), Thich Nhat Hanh, Yo-Yo Ma, Maya Angelou, Brene Brown, etc etc.  I have found many new thinkers and artists to explore further.  I am finding it an exciting listen for my recovering heart and mind.

I have found meditation to be a wonderful tool for grounding me and helping me to regulate my moods.  If you are interested in exploring meditation, there is a great app "Insight Timer" which has guided meditations, groups where you can ask questions, music, and lots more. Another resource that I found helpful to structure, inform and motivate me at the beginning is the book "Mindfulness: An Eight Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World".  Really the only requirement is to begin to make a little time each day and begin to sit quietly.  If you are interested, there are many books available to help with your understanding of meditation.

Reading this thread: