Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Resources

8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just watched "Lipstick and Liquor" a movie available on Vimeo in Canada.  What a poignant story of four women who stopped drinking and one who did not.  I would absolutely recommend it. 
8 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm really glad to have found this thread. Thanks for starting it, Dave! I've just added a few of these to my Amazon cart. :) 

If I come across anything, I'll be sure to share as well. 
8 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hear you. When I was finally beaten to a state where I couldn't continue no longer, I took a little effort to seek help. First I went to a group therapy sort of counselling. The counsellor then led me to a shrink who upon hearing my family background wouldn't prescribe any pills and suggested that I seek a spiritual solution and AA was one of the choices. 

I then had no clue what alcoholism was. Upon entering the fellowship back in 2006, I was little confused with all the suggestions thrown at me. Eventually I heard one of speakers with whom I could identify with and understood that in order for me recover from this hopeless state of mind and body, I will have to have a attitude shift. And we get that by working the 12 steps. Today, the obsession to drink is long gone. What I have to do is practise a few simple steps everyday so, I can experience that freedom. 

Having said that, what goes on around is, people simply sit on their laurels. And exactly like the book says, "its a daily reprieve contingent upon fit spiritual condition, people don't enlarge their spiritual condition.

Recently we lost a guy with 30+ years of sobriety. But looking back, you could see, he slowly taking it easy. Coming in late to the meeting, leaving early, not working with new-comers. Slowly slowly resentments started creeping back in, subtly (because his nephew got hurt during deployment). Eventally, he got shut of from the power and went out. Withing 18 months he was gone. 
When I used the word "cured" it may have been misleading.  He writes that classifying addiction as a chronic, relapsing brain disease can be harmful.  He says that guilt and remorse can be motivators to make changes.  His book is about different case studies and their way through their addictions and to abstinence.  He believes that empowerment, seeing a new future and getting some sort of support are necessary for the journey through addiction and out the other side.  But he believes that there is a way out the other side, to lead a life of lasting recovery, not one in fear of relapsing, and I find that very hopeful.  I am still working through the book but found that he really spoke to me and offered a fascinating perspective.  I wanted to share it.  
8 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds interesting Julie. I agree that I feel hope to move on from addiction and not have it be at the center of my life forever, on the other hand "cured" does seem to imply going back to "normal" or  moderate drinking... Does he address that in his book? Is abstinence part of the cure?
Foxman,
No,  I have no intention of going back to drinking; there are so many positives for me in living without alcohol.  I did try moderation a few times but it never worked for me as I soon amped up my drinking to back where it had been before: and that was too often and too much. 
Lewis offers another way of looking at alcohol addiction beyond the medical disease model.  As a neuroscientist, he offers the brain research that explains addiction as an entrenched habit.  He believes that people can move beyond their addiction into a new phase of brain development and life.   I found his explanation empowering and full of hope.  
"The idea that you can only recover but never be cured"

Can you please elaborate on this? By cured, are you thinking you want to go back to moderation?
I am currently reading a fascinating book The Biology of Desire by Marc Lewis.  He presents a strong argument that challenges the disease model of addiction.  I am finding it hopeful and thought provoking.  The medical model of alcoholism as a chronic disease that you never can really kick has never resonated with me.  The idea that you can only recover but never be cured.  Lewis offers a compelling and empowering viewpoint which is science based and I find it filled with such positivity.

8 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just bought the book Drink: The Intimate Relationship Between Women and Alcohol. I recently saw the author (and journalist) Ann Dowsett Johnston speak, and her story, passion, and research are very informative and inspiring. It's both a personal (her own) story and a sobering look at some of the issues surrounding women and alcohol today. She also talks about stigma and the importance of people coming forward and sharing their recovery stories (like the "we are anonymous people"). She also spoke about how people implied to her that she would never work again once she publicly outed herself as an alcoholic.
Yes, I don't know why it is, I have seen people with multiple years of sobriety, avoid saying "hi" to me when they see me at walmart and other public places. I have shared this before, I have made a fool of myself in all gatherings, so actually I am proud to be in recovery. I wont go broadcasting I am so and so and am a recovered alcoholic but when some annoying people push the drink at me, I make that opportunity to explain about the disease of alcoholism. That it kills, using examples from my family and that I am alive because of the 12 steps of AA. That will invoke some curious questions. Are they alcoholics? I will tell them, if they can't handle alcohol any longer come and see me. 

Reading this thread: