Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Day 1

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi VIV and quit4life,

Glad to hear that you are both still sticking to it, even through mood swings and life difficulties. It can be done. Just a brief reminder to check with your doctor if the moods are becoming too much to bear. As a couple of posters have pointed out recently, the nicotine addiction may have masked or reduced the severity of mental health issues that now need to be addressed medically.

One of my little hurdles was going through a break up shortly after I had quit. That was my "life issue." I learend a few things from that experience: 1) My fear of  being triggered to smoke during that time was way more than my actual desire to smoke  2) I probably would have been more triggered to smoke by staying, since I was growing increasingly more unhappy with the guy. In other words, sometimes taking care of difficult business actually alleviates some of the stress triggers.

and 3) I'm stronger than I thought I was. I suspect you both are, too.
  • Quit Meter

$22,557.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 603 Hours: 0

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone & congrats Viv!! Still smoke-free. I've been feeling very upset and craving last night & today. I'm having a hard time so I'm in here reading to make myself feel better. 
11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Viv  It's nice to see that one day at a time you are doing this. Sometimes it seems like it's somebody else but pinch yourself because you're the one that's made it 45 days. I remember that 6 weeks was a real tough time for me but this quit I was determined not to fall off the water wagon for any excuse. The quote of the day today sums it up better than I could ever explain it. " You can have anything you want if you want it desperately enough. You must want it with an inner exuberance that erupts through the skin and joins the energy that created the world. " - Sheila Graham. I wanted to stop smoking more than I wanted anything in my life and still do. We're here to cheer you on. Excellent for you. breather
11 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am feeling very relieved to find myself still visiting here daily. Some days I have not been able to write as my thoughts & feelings were too negative. Sometimes I couldn't see through the tears. Tears, prompted by the effort and concern shown by others here! You don't always read what you want to hear, but every time I have found something to cling on to. Often the most basic things, such as take it one day at a time. It's amazing how when we become really depressed or anxious the simple plans & rules fly out of the window because we are pre-occupied with the wrong thing. Today, I have moved on a little. I am very grateful to all who helped me return here today. I have been busy in my garden tidying up and planning for the year ahead. Half way through week seven and lots of jobs to do inside and out. Some big decisions will have to be made, in respect of other aspects in my life and I am going to have to learn to deal with such things as a non-smoker. Thanks folks I have not smoked today! I do not plan on smoking tomorrow!
  • Quit Meter

$28,441.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 515 Hours: 21

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
VIV

Your doing well and you are doing a very good thing for yourself.  I know it can be difficult.  We depended on cigarettes for many things for a long, long time.  Try to be good to yourself while you work through this thing.  This is all about you. 

I found that exercise and movement helps allot.  Also writing here is a great tool.  Craves tend to come in waves and they do have a high point.  If you can teach yourself that the bad times are not forever, you will begin to realize that you can overcome that desire. Posting here is actually a very valuable activity.  Once you center your thoughts around the act of writing, you will find that the crave that was bedeviling you a few minutes ago is no more...You have redirected your attention in a way that allows you safe passage one more time.

Over time, with enough practice, you will find that the habit of redirection becomes instinctive and will take less and less effort to achieve...Keep working it forward, you are in a good place...

stay well

nonic  
  • Quit Meter

$66,580.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 20

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Laniey Some good reminders there. Some hellish mental battles going on in my head. Thankfully I'm still free and sticking with it! Depression has been taking hold so I will try to get some vitamin B complex. Anything is worth trying. Thanks Viv I will not smoke today!
  • Quit Meter

$28,441.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bravo for making it a month already. You know if you can quit for a month you can qut for twelve and so on. Yes quitting is very much a mental battle. Its like thers a little demon on your shoulder telling you to go ahead a smoke, "Just one won't hurt". But you know he is wrong and your heart will tell you he is wrong, one leads to a thousand!  And then you are right back hating smoking again. We've all been there.
Keep working thru it. Lots of water, take vitamin B complex daily for the depression and if it lingers, see a Doctor as smoking hides lots of issues. We all smoked to hide / cover up emotions, and when we quit we need to learn how to handle things with out the crutch of cigarettes. There really is not one good thing about smoking, not one, it will kill you sooner or later. It is just as addictive as heroin and harder to kick, but you can and are doing it. Focus on the positives of being smoke free, clean lungs, better breathing, clearer skin,  and yes even better sex. There are so many rewards in quitting. The best one being the freedom from the addiction itself! You can do this. Keep on working and soon it will be a year gone by. I wish you all the best!
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations to VIV and quit4life on having over a month of freedom under your belts. At this point, my guess is that the desire to smoke isn't quite as strong or frequent as it was when you first started. Perhaps you can get through some activities or a good part of the day without thinking about it. Even if you do have a crave at this point, please remind yourselves of how weak those are in comparison to what you had just a few weeks ago.

Way to go, guys!
  • Quit Meter

$22,557.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 603 Hours: 0

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Oh! I was getting a little worried, not hearing from you Cherie. But so pleased to know that you are still sticking at it. Overall I feel the " head games" are the worst part of this quest! I thought I must be really disturbed a week or so back. However this past week I have been extra busy, yet whilst I had difficult things to deal with at least I had some peace from negative thoughts around smoking. Like you Cherie, in times of real need, i repeat the promise not to smoke & so far this is working. So great for you, over 40 days smoke free! BRILLIANT!,! Viv
  • Quit Meter

$28,441.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everybody!! I'm happy to see you, Viv, & you, Donna still smoke-free!! I'm still hanging in there & now dealing with the "head games" as "Breather" put it. It's still hard at times but that's ok b/c I'm doing my best to over-come & keep moving forward. Thanks for the positive health info "working on it", chronic pain & depression is not easy :)

Right now I want to make a promise to myself & everyone in here that I will not smoke today, Sunday.
Hang in there Donna & Viv, we are doing this!! Happy Sunday to all  

Reading this thread: