Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Day 1

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wishing each of you a wonderful smoke-free week ahead! Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone Of course it's tough going in the early stages of quitting but try to look at it from another perspective. You all have been through the first weeks of torture and never have to go through the worst weeks again. The only thing left to deal with now are the head games. Most of us smoked for decades so we can't expect to be cured in a few weeks or months although some people say that they stopped and never looked back. Day by day we're getting farther away from the hold that smoking had on us. When I see people struggling I feel the same pain as you do but remember that it won't always be this way. Day by day we learn to live without the very thing that we think that we need , the thing that would eventually end our lives if we kept at it. I speak in the past tense because it's the hold that smoking had. It doesn't have a hold anymore. That's long gone now as it will be for you in your own time. We don't have to worry about smoking as long as we don't smoke. Excellent fot you. breather  
11 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks to Cherie & Donna, your posts have inspired me. I wondered if I was really mentally disturbed this week. I mean more than usual. One minute I think all the positives of non-smoking. Then I think how much I miss & need a cigarette. Only to stop & ask myself to remember why I am stopping. So feel very confused! Wanting a smoke just makes no sense. In anger & frustration I think I must be insane. My thoughts just don't make sense. This is why you have helped me. We all have issues to deal with and we know we are not alone in this battle. It's comforting to know this and as such we have a responsibility to each other. We will succeed! There is no way back, we CAN DO THIS! :-). So lets move forward with week 5
  • Quit Meter

$28,531.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 517 Hours: 11

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am still going through daily struggles, but I am finding its slowly its getting easier. I am very determined to keep this quit. Which to me
that is the most important thing. I do still find myself thinking of an excuse to have just one. But I do know that just one will lead to
another and well we all know what happens.
What I have noticed in the past for weeks is its easier to breathe, everything smells so much better, and of course food tastes really good.
I also look at the positive things in life being a non-smoker. I don't stink anymore.....like when I have to serve a customer that smells like
smoke, that smell almost makes me sick. That also really helps me get through any craving I might have.
I work in a drug store, I see these people coming in to get their meds and its pretty sad. They can hardly walk because they are out of breathe
but they will go sit outside and have a smoke while they wait for their prescription to be filled. That also really helps me a lot, thinking that one
day that could be me if I kept smoking.
One day at a time. And we can beat this battle!
Donna
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys,

It does get better. Each battle against cigarettes that you fight and win makes you stronger and the addiction weaker. You can do this.

I also suffer from chronic pain, due to a pinched nerve and arthritis. One of my initial motivations for quitting smoking was advice from a neuromuscualr therapist. He pointed out that oxygen is needed to help to heal damaged tissue. Not smoking for 8 hours allows your blood oxygen levels to return to normal. So you have already given your body the gift of healing oxygen for over 3 weeks. I suspect that you will see some long term decreases in pain levels. I already have.
  • Quit Meter

$22,623.95

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 604 Hours: 19

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Viv (24 days smoke free!!), thanks Donna (26 days smoke free!!) & thanks me for hanging in there (28 days smoke free!!) Having a hard time again tonight so I came in here & found your helpful posts, thank you :) Looks like the 3 of us are in this together!! Trying really hard to overcome the negative thoughts with positive ones. It helps to know theres someone else feeling the same way I am and fighting it with all their might like I am. Although I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
At the same time I was just thinking there's others going through worse than we are, like people who just lost a loved one while I've been typing or someone that just got in a major car accident and is fighting for their life, or someone sitting next to their loved one watching them take their last breath, or someone being raped, a child being kidnaped, someone being abused or sexually molested, someone being violently attacked or shot or in a fire etc. Probably seems like I'm going way out in left field with my thoughts. But while I sit here typing I'm dealing with chronic depression, ptsd, fibromyalgia & degenerative arthritis, loneliness & with little hope but enough to keep going on and somehow enough hope to want to quit smoking so that I will feel better emotionally & physically. I feel like I'm barely hanging on by a thread. But when I think about others who are facing much worse problems than I am, it makes me think I can get through another stupid craving no matter how hard. 
We can do this :)
Happy Valentines Day 2 everyone!! 
11 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cherie,

I understand what you are going through, I just went through that on the weekend. I even questioned why I was putting myself through
hell. Cause after 3 weeks I thought it would have been a lot easier. Than I talked with a co worker that is a ex smoker, the one thing
she said to me that made sense is you have to change your way of thinking. She told me that I have to think of all the positive reason
for quitting, push the negative thoughts out.
I am doing a lot better these past couple of days.

Donna
11 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cherie, Do you know, I too am struggling today, feeling really down..... You know we can beat this, tomorrow is another day. Don't give up just yet you have worked hard to get this far. NOPE Lets do it! Viv
  • Quit Meter

$28,531.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 517 Hours: 11

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I thought it would be easier by now, ugh!! My cravings come when I'm feeling a lot of anxiety, fear & or loneliness or like nobody cares about me. This quit is definitely making me work on my emotional health/growth. Not easy that's for sure, sighhhhh!!!!!!!!

Thanks "working" :) Your saying "slow & steady wins the race" helps me to relax. I'm still smoke free although I've been having a tough time the last couple of days & right now. I have all kinds of great excuses running through my head, telling me to go buy a pack. But I'm not going and am going to try to get some sleep. It sucks when it gets hard :( 

Reading this thread: