Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,671 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Tomorrow is the day

17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well tomorrow is the day. I have been smoking for about 35 years and I don�t think I have been 72 hours without smoking. I am going to quit for several reasons. 1st is for me and my health. 2nd is for my wife, she hates smoking soooo bad. 3rd id for my kids, I love them soooo much. I want to marry in the temple and have my kids sealed to me for all time and eternity. This is going to sound selfish but I need all of you to help me. Not sure if I can do this alone. Wow, I have never talked to anyone like this. I want to quit so bad. While I am smoking I can come up with a thousand reasons why I should quit, but as soon as I quit I come up with a thousand reasons why I should. This is going to be a cold turkey deal. I have some patches on my dresser and I may need to resort to those but I hope not. I will be up at 3-4am every morning checking this site for the next several months. I feel like it�s going to take the next 10 years but I hope not. Anyway, tomorrow morning I will wake up and be smoke free and with gods, (and your) help it will last the rest of my life. Maybe a little history to spark conversation. I have worked in public safety for 28 years, COP, FIRE, AMBULANCE, Responder to twin towers, Katrina, many other disasters. Just enough to know better than to smoke. Hope everyone stays here for the next couple of months.
OK, now I will cry and whine. I can control million dollar corporate fires. I can stop killers and rapists, I can even work a mega code when someone�s heart stops, I even rescued 25 people during Katrina that were facing ceartin death. I can teach courses in the BA program in Public Safety. Last night I went on a sick baby call (Really Sick) and after the call My partner (Who smokes) and I were outside the ER reviewing the call. I looked down and had a cigarette in my hand. I did not smoke it but I found it alarming that I did not buy cigarettes yesterday, I obviously got it from my partner. The thing that is alarming to me is that I do not remember how I got the damn thing and If I had not thought about it right at that moment I may have smoked it without even knowing it. It was 150% habit because I did not even need it, but it was sure their. I am just amazed that I can fix or control so much in other peoples lives but I can�t seem to get control of my own. Boy, if I had only known when I started. Sorry to vent�� Mike [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 80 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
Well so far so good. I had to drink hot chocolate this morning, coffee would not be good right now. I'm already coming up with my thousand reasons to smoke. I threw my smokes out the window early this morning. I'm in a little bit of a cold sweat but I can live with that. I keep thinking every store I pass sells smokes. I need to travel to Missouri soon, maybe I will just load up and go, that will give me something to do. Anyway, I think I'm OK for the moment and I WILL get through today. Hot chocolate is on the menu for tomorrow too. Any tips on getting through a pretty major headache? I'm sure it is stress. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go! You have already achieved one of the difficult parts--making the decision. I am a relative newbie, but have found this site to be a great source of help. I log in every day, sometimes several times a day, and it just gives me a mental boost, and reminds me that I have made the right decision. Hang in there, it does get easier, and we are all here for you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 378 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How are you doing? Hope all is going well for you. During my first 5 days, I suffered from headaches and a spaced out feeling. Just realize that this IS temporary. If you are like me, the headache gives you something else to concentrate on besides the fact that you are not smoking! Your posts remind me of myself somewhat. I am a nurse, ER for 10 years. We really should know better, huh? You talk about coming up with a thousand reasons why you should smoke. During the first weekend not working and not smoking, I was actually toying with the idea of smoking, and then getting a book about quitting smoking, and quitting when the book told me to. At the time, it made perfect sense. Now it sounds quite absurd, and rather embarrassing. anyway, I did not smoke, but came to this site and typed away. I got several posts in return, and they helped me stay smoke free. I have since promised myself that I will always post, and wait for at least one reply before I would smoke. Hope this helps you, too. Hang in there. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 378 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I got a really bad headache when I tried to detox - it went away when I drank TEA - tea has caffeine in it too, but you maybe don't associate it with cigarettes the same way. All the best, and remember, after the first few days you start to feel really proud of what you've done, and that helps. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,000 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �197.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Smithmi: Welcome to the ranks of the nonsmoking! (We're moving from the dark side to the light side, you know.) You've made a wonderful choice and now you must have faith in yourself and your reasons for quitting. They're all wonderful reasons and so will be the rewards. It will be tough, no doubt about it, but my best advice to you is to not fall into the easy trap of feeling "deprived". I think that's a huge mistake we've all made too often. If you feel you've given up something important, the it's too easy to find a reason to go back. But if you can reverse that thinking, consider this: All those years as a smoker (and I smoked for 35 years myself) is when we were truly deprived....deprived of our health and our wealth and so many other things. It is now as a nonsmoker that we have reclaimed our control and knocked the nicotine monster which had been controlling us flat on its a**! Now that's freedom and that's power! Focus on those things -- you're not "giving up" anything -- you're gaining so much. Every craving you have is just the nicotine monster trying to win you back. When I think of it that way, it has helped me a lot. So every craving just reassures me that I'm absolutely on the right path! Go get 'em! You CAN do it!
17 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
smithmi, Welcome and congrats on your desire to quit smoking. We are here for to help you with your quit, but make sure you have everything in place before tomorrow morning. Read everything you can on this web site and post often. There is alot of great information and support in here. I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow. Kait [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 627 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $154 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep posting Smith, and your not wineing....your doing just fine. Take it on hour, one minute and one day at a time, and keep venting and getting your feelings out. We are all listening, and we know what your going through. The addiction will try a get to you through your withdrawl symptoms in both your body and your mind (apparently your subconscious too). You are smarter and stronger and you will succeed...just believe in yourself!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 669 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 184 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37

Reading this thread: