Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Quitting in the morning

17 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Andy I also just found this site yesterday it really seems to get a little easier every day, not that I would not LOVE to have a smoke but I feel stronger each smoke free day. Stay focused. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 90 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 35 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes welcome home. As you can see from below, this is day 2 for me. I quit yesterday at 9 am. My last smoke. It will be difficult, but my new friends here make it oh so much easier. So, one day at a time, like many said, let tomorrow take care of itself. We are here for you and you can make it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 31 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 394 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ANDY !! HOW ARE U GOING??? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 348 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $111.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 394 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Andy I too found this site yesterday I have been smoking for 26 years and tried almost everything and then been giving in.. However i have never been in a support group/ I am so glad i found this site yesterday.. Good Luck you can Do it.. We can DO IT :) ann [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 64 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $18.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 311 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Julie! Its actually going well. How are you doing? I find mornings easy, nights are hard, but I can actually see myself as a nonsmoker now. Don't get me wrong, I fantasize about cigs, and sometimes think I can have one and then stop, but at least for now I know its not possible. My hubby is feeling guilty that he's smoking around me, so he said he's thinking of quitting too. That would be nice. Today is Day 7, I'm feeling very proud. I don't know what I would've done without this site. Anytime I get a craving I log on and remind myself why I quit in the first place. So much support here, I'm hooked! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 127 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
Hi everyone, I'm glad I found this site. I'm 35 yrs old, been smoking for 20 yrs. Although I rationalize and tell myself I enjoy smoking, I really do hate it...the smell, the money, and the fact that my 3 yr old does notice and asks me questions. I started taking Wellbutrin two weeks ago, but have already put off my quit date twice. Tomorrow is it, the pack is gone tonite. Keep reminding myself...one day at a time, right? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Wow everyone! Talk about a warm welcome! Thank you. It is comforting to talk to people that are only days ahead of me, and also years ahead of me in quitting. This morning was nice, slept later, checked email, not standing outside on the porch in the rain this morning. I'm sure my tune will change in a few days, but I can't stress myself over that just yet. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Julie, I know what you mean about the withdrawal before quitting. That's how I felt last nite, pretty ridiculous, huh? I think the mental thing is gonne be worse, too. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
OK, I feel like a fool! To those who replied on page 2, I never saw the 2nd page...duh. I'm doing surprisingly well today, mornings are actually easy. Its night that is hard, so last nite I laid in bed to watch TV because being close to the kitchen made me want to go outside. I am amazed by the strength and support here...thank you so much. It makes me want to succeed even more! I now see what you mean about "stay close". I feel the need to check in many times a day.
17 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Andy, How did you go? The most powerful tool I found in the early days was understanding that the only way out of the mess you're in is to stop putting nicotine into your body. The reason you're frightened is because when you go into withdrawal it takes time for your body to produce dopamine (makes us feel content and happy) in the quantities needed to feel "normal". A cigarette has been doing this for you and in fact nicotine has caused the problem in the first place. Nicotine causes a flood of dopamine so over time your brain has reduced the number of receptors to balance the situation out (like it's designed to). Now when you remove the nicotine, there is less dopamine and few receptors left so you feel depressed and out of sorts. It takes about 10-15 days for your brain to re-wire itself so you have to hang in there. It's a scientific fact that you'll come out of this but the only way is to not put any more of the drug in your body and to not build smoking up into some sort of god over which you have no control. Smoking is simply a delivery device for nicotine. It's not a habit it's an addiction. We don't enjoy smoking we think we do because it delivers the necessary chemical which loads our brain with feel good dopamine. It's a vicious circle because the more we smoke the fewer receptors so we smoke more to get the lovely ahhh i feel normal thing going. We feel relaxed when we smoke because technically before that we were in the early stages of withdrawal. Non-smokers don't feel that way ever. they feel like we do when we're having a smoke ALL the time! Wouldn't that be great - to feel that way without having to put cancer causing chemicals in your body and waste money? It's available to all of us...all we have to do is put up with a relatively short time (in the context of our lives) of feeling yukky. The feeling won't actually hurt you. You're frightened beforehand because your brain already knows what withdrawal is like so it's already telling you - i don't want to do this! That's because it's been way too long since your brain has been on the other nicotine free side to remember that you were fine not smoking until you smoked. All the things you're thinking won't be anywhere near as much fun without being able to

Reading this thread: