Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,553 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

NEED ADVICE from the Veteran Quitters

16 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Ladybugg - I will keep my eyes open for it. Do you remember what it is called? A1 - Right now I don't know if the Lexapro is doing what it is supposed to do. I went on it about 5 weeks ago. I takes a week or so to get in your system. I felt pretty good for about a 3 week period and then this latest cycle hit and I was a mess for a week. After 8 days of it I decided to come here for help. My wife and I had a long talk about this yesterday. She is incredibly supportive and says she saw a positive difference in me after I started the Med. I think it may take a little time to find the right dose and or type of drug. I am happy to share any info that may help. Hope you all have a good day. I will check back later today. Moss [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 134 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,010 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $452.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
16 years ago 0 1073 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moss, With your family history, there is a possibility that you were self-medicating with nicotine. It may be why you were the only sibling not on anti-depressants. Therefore, it is very likely that depression meds will help. I will try to find a post that Leslie wrote. She was talking about ADD but it also applies to depression. We CAN do this!! I am proof positive. color=Purple]~lbugg~[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1110 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 62,160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7,770.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 111 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$52,455.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 918 Hours: 6

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

ML and A1 Let's stay in touch for the next bit and see if we can't work ourselves out of this situation. There is strength in numbers. Moss [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 133 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,995 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $448.88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
16 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moss, I too take the Alprazalam and Clonazapam. I hate doing it, but I have to to make it. Is the lexapro working? I too hate medicine, you feel like your just taking on another addiction, but whatever we need, right? Moss, I have OCD, Depression and anxiety. Say, I am adopted, maybe we are related somehow...I am not kidding. I was adopted as an infant, so heredity..I have no idea what I am in store for. I just want to be successful and I will do WHATEVER I have to to keep this quit. We can stick together and we WILL be the old timers like Lainey, Grin, Mr. ED, NONIC, Duffis and all the rest. I will do anything to help others, it makes me feel good. Now lets keep moving forward, and take care of eachother..all of us!! SMILE...YOUR ATTITUDE WILL FOLLOW... :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 116 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $435.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
16 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you, Moss, for starting this thread. I totally missed it yesterday when I posted on the other thread. Lots of good advice and help in the responses. I am definitely going to ask my doctor about the B vitamins when I see her next. And a great big thank you to SSC veterans and those on their way to becoming veterans for coming through yet once again to help. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 130 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $806.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
Hi A1 Yes, I know you have been struggling with the same issue this last week. I have wanted to offer my support but it is hard when you feel so stuck in your head. I will say that getting this off my chest has been helpful and the advice from the members has been great again. Read the bumps that were mentioned. Mr. Ed's "Plateau" and Lainey and Grin's in Common Support. Also read Nonic's post in Withdrawal symptoms. As far as the Medication, My doctor recommended "Lexapro". He said he uses it a lot for people quitting smoking. I guess statistically depression is pretty common with quitting. He mentioned this initially when I first quit but I don't want to take any more drugs than absolutely necessary. I don't know if this is completely accurate but some in the medical field also state a history of OCD is another indicator of probable depressive episodes when quitting. I also take Alprazolam occasionally for the OCD anxiety. I take it infrequently as possible because I am afraid of the addictive nature of it but I do use it when I feel I really need it. This I do know - We need to do this, we are dug in way too deep to turn back now. I am going to take the Lexapro for 4-6 months and then stop and see how it goes. If it takes some meds to get this done so be it. We have to keep believing that the freedom will come for us Kelly. It is when we get stuck in these valleys that it becomes so hard to keep our focus. I am envisioning you and I and ML and Freedom and all the others still pushing through the muck being the old timers here one day. We can do this. As Nonic stated, There is a light in each of us that we need to learn how to turn on. We are all different and on another level we are very much alike. Finding the light switch is the journey for each of us. Stay in touch A1. I will be thinking of you. Moss [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 133 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,995 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $448.88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
Penitent - I think you just nailed something that is a large part of my difficulty. I find myself pining for that old feeling and yes, of course it is completely illogical and damaging to do so. It is the "how to stop" doing that I have to learn. I have admired your attitude and straightforwardness ever since I joined the SSC. I will take to heart your words. Thank you Moss [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 133 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,995 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $448.88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
16 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moss, I really feel for you, and you know I have been posting the same things. This last week I have been doing a lot of crying, and have discussed with my husband maybe seeing a doctor about depression. I did that the last time I Quit and it really messed me up. I am trying upping my B vit and started a vitamin for menapause also. My husband thinks that might be playing a part. Needless to say Moss, we need to do this. I have seen to many people in a situation that they HAD to quit, they couldn't choose. I don't want to wait for that. I work around many successful quitters and long term, most of them knew it was hard, but don't remember much anymore because its been to long. The stages of quitting bump was great, I am really struggling with the bargaining and depression bit..if it would just leave me alone..a little. Worn down, I know the feeling. I have to look for Mr. Eds bump..print that one too. Hope you feel better Moss..if you don't mind me asking, what med did they put you on? You don't have to answer, I am just curious. Take Care all...PLEASE SEND SOME SUNSHINE TO WISCONSIN!!!! ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 116 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $435.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not a veteran, Moss but I've been reading this dilemma carefully and I expect you will get thrpough these rough times with the help of the vets... And, Lainey! Yes, I want to talk about my experience with B Complex and Multi-vits: I started immediately when I quit smoking, taking one a day of each and sometimes a 1000mg tab of Vit C, with all of my other soup of pills and I feel much more on top of my game and depression free all these last two and a half months!! I swear by the B Complex now! I agree with you that it's probably essential to be taking the B Complex tablets daily especially in conjunction with your quit... this should lead to better eating habits which, in turn, should dispell the need to take the Complex tabs ( I don't believe so since I'm so deeply messed up about eating properly - I think I'm great if I have two decent balanced meals per week!!) I'm working on that with a CBT mindfulness... but with ADD ("beautiful day, should call my wife, make tea, go to the bathroom, just sit here and calm down, get up! Let the cat out... I don't have a cat do I feel like music? where are my glasses... " blah blah blah...), I'm glad to have the B Complex bottle tied to my big toe every morning anyway... Patrick[size=4]Text[/size] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/18/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 73 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,825 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $821.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi moss! For the record, quitting was tough for me in the beginning but I didn't make it any harder than it had to be. I made my decision to quit and I didn't look back. What's the point? I think that is where many get into trouble; they look back and pine for something they think they enjoyed when their rational mind tells them they are much better off not smoking. That dichotomy can lead to untold misery. Choose one or the other but not both. Good luck with your quit, you know you can do this. Penitent d1413
  • Quit Meter

$56,870.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1126 Hours: 9

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: