Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,553 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

NEED ADVICE from the Veteran Quitters

16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moss! Yes, you are at the spot where I'd say it was the toughest.(Which is why the Doc says people lose their quits here) The excitement is past and you just feel kind of blah. This phase is where I found self talk, to be the most helpful! Pump yourself up! Every day if you have to, You have quit smoking for over 141 days! That is fantastic. Look up more info on positive affirmations and use them to your advantage! You can do this! Don't let a little cigarette dictate your life for you! You can overcome this, you can overcome anything! Look in the mirror when you say these affirmations, honestly, they really do help! Keep the quit Moss! Once you make it to about six months it all seems to ease up! You are getting so close! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 400 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,000 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,220.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 52 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
16 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aloha That must have been a little scary for you. I hope all is well for your son and for you, too. Say Hi to Unhooked for me. I guess I want to keep this thread alive yet because I don't feel out of the woods yet, and I know a few others are going thru a rough time. I want to share a discussion I had with my doctor yesterday. I also posted a bit about it briefly in A1's thread. We changed my anti-depr to Celexa and increased the milligrams a little. I'm still walking thru fog and hoping for improvement. As many here have commented, My Doc stated that once a new quitter gets past the initial withdrawal stages and the constant fight has died down in the mind, for some people the brain-mind will really start to rebel and the chemical balance for some can go completely haywire. Why it happens to some and not others they don't know but he did say studies are under way and they are beginning to get some answers. He believes that genetics will be a big factor. He stated in his experience that there are 2 phases where people usually give up. The initial stage when the fight is overwhelming and then the depression stage for those who get it because they are too overwhelmed and worn down to keep fighting. I think that is where I am at right now. I don't know how much fight I have left. Whether it makes sense or not to feel this way is almost irrelevant at this point. My wife And I are going to keep the discussion going about this for the next 10 days, she is great about sharing her support and ideas with me and I trust her insight. At the end of the 10 days I will make a decision what to do for the next 10 days. The more research I do on this issue, the more I am surprised it doesn't come up more in the discussions. Perhaps the stigma still makes people hesitant to put it out there. In the area I live, I can't remember the last time I heard a guy say they felt depressed. If any body has more to add, please feel free. Thanks for listening to me ramble. Moss [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 141 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,115 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $475.88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moss, I hope you find the right combination of whatever to address the depression. My brother was telling me about gabapentin (neurontin) last night. It's an oldie but goodie and is helping his son tremendously. Different than the SSRIs. I think it is good that you raise the truth about what you are going through. Smoking cessation can lead to all different experiences, and as you said, it is somehow reassuring to hear that others are experiencing similar things. I'm doing okay, but haven't been around for a number of reasons. Have been in AZ for the past two weeks because my youngest son was hospitalized with pneumonia. Ended up having lung surgery. Cured him of smoking. Hopefully forever. Unhooked is well and not smoking of course. As I said, a number of us hang out on facebook's friends of the ssc. Come join us if you feel like it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 381 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,590.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Aloha, Thank you for the words. I just re-read your HOF story. You know, when I was smoking I have to admit, like most folks, I had some periods of depression then as well, but since stopping it has gotten so much more intense. I knew it was time to talk to my doc. I have always been the one that family and friends come too for help when they are down so this is hard to admit that I have been feeling this way. I know most people understand but I feel a little embarrased that it has been happening. Probably more of a guy thing. I was raised to work out your problems on your own and just deal with it. Things have gotten a little better since I started this thread but each morning I am really having to force myself to get up and going. I did start the B-Complex last week, too. I am hoping so badly that things will turn the corner soon. I am following the advice here and doing the best I know how. I can't wait to wake up and feel some sense of normalcy in my soul. I haven't smoked. I also hope threads like these don't scare the new people away from quitting. I guess I just believe that we owe it to ourselves and the others here to share the truth about our experience. Thanks for chiming in here Aloha!! I was thinking about you lately and wondering how you are. I was also wondering about Unhooked. Does anybody know how she is doing these days. Moss [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 139 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,085 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $469.13 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kind of late chiming in here, Moss, but thought you might be interested to hear that I was just remarking a few weeks ago that I hadn't experienced one of those "I just want to stay in bed and wait till I feel better" depressive episodes in at least six months. And that is the first time I can honestly say that for as long as I can remember. Check out my hall of fame story and you'll see how low I could feel. The only real difference in my life is the lack of nicotine. Still have the usual life stressors that everybody else does. When I quit I was worried about going off chantix because I was afraid it would trigger one of those times, but hallelujah, it didn't. I think it might be that for many years my brain chemistry was so altered by the nicotine that it didn't know how to produce the right balance of neurotransmitters, and that now I am truly returning to some kind of normal. I listened to Lainey and took B vitamins for a while there (I think about the 4-5 month mark), and they helped. I don't know if your brain chemistry will be like mine, but just wanted to let you know that it can happen....even when you least expect it ;) Just keep being a smoke free guy and you will continue to feel the benefits. You're right on about the exercise btw, it does help to stimulate the right chemicals. You're doing great, and I'm glad you raised the question. -aloha [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 381 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,590.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
16 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This ought to make you smile, too! I feel that I'm starting to get so fat that I may be soon giving birth!!! Keep smiling!!! Jim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 750 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $123.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
  • Quit Meter

$44,325.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 18

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nice to know that you can relate to the female hot flashes. I know I am only 35, but I had a hysterectomy when I was 30, so I have been suffering for a long time. Now, if we could just get you to give birth, the appreciation for women would be that much greater!! ;) I think that is the first time I smiled or laughed all day, sorry it was at your expense Jim... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 119 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,570 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $446.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
Yup, that's me a work! That's where I get my "hot flashes"!!! ;p I keep the IM thing on at work just in case someone wants to yap! Jim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 725 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $119.63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
  • Quit Meter

$44,325.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can't, I am at work, and I can't do it from home because my husband is to jealous. So I suck up everybodys support while I am at work. Thanks though. Is that really a picture of you? If it is, it looks scarry what you are doing...very dangerous. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 119 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,570 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $446.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
I hear ya!!! I'm on the im if ya wanna chat! Jim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 725 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $119.63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
  • Quit Meter

$44,325.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: