Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

First Hit

16 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fly Hope all is well and moving forward... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 169 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,070 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,183.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
16 years ago 0 710 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
fly, I just came off the patches last Tuesday, and all my wonderful wierd dreams have stopped. Yes for me the patches did cause strange dreams but I loved having them, sure miss them, looked forward to going to bed.lol lol Just sleep and enjoy! hugs and prayers, Bobbi [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,310 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $192.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're doing great, Fly & it's excellent that you have so much support! I'm with Phuil about not trying to sleep with a patch on, not just the dreams but it disrupted my sleep as well. I woke up often in the night and couldn't get back to sleep after about 4:30 or so. If it works for you, of course, keep doing it. But if you do have problems, try getting into the shower first thing when you get out of bed even if you have to stumble into it with your eyes closed. Then brush your teeth right away. That worked really well for my morning craves. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 580 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $319.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
16 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fly, keep in mind that you are doing this for you not anyone else and no one can force a smoke in your hand except for you deep breathing works great:) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $51.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
16 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Please dont try abd sleep with a patch on... Those dreams..... me x
16 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are almost done with week one, fly! Hope all is well. new me [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/26/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 384 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $80.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
16 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
fly Your doing wonderfully at this journey. I see that you are identifying the why, where and when of your addiction. Interesting note about the ice tea as a smoking aid. We humans are a very strange lot. I am also a coffee drinking fool. Initially I thought I would have to give that up at the same time as I banished nicotine. However, the gods of the quit have allowed me to keep my coffee habit intact. I use to think that coffee and a cigarette where as inseperable as bread and butter. Thankfully with me coffee is happy to do a solo act... I found that drinking water helped amazingly when it came to reducing craves. I think eventually some smart reseacher will find there is a link between dehydration anc craving nicotine. For now, just drink water until you can drink no more. Drink it like you are a olympic athlete. I always have a bottle of water with me where ever I go these days. Stay well and hang in there. This can be a rough ride, but the reality is that it can be done and more to the point YOU CAN DO THIS nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 167 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,010 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,169.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good going Fly! One down and many more to come. You're right, those old familiar smoking times are the hardest. It helps to replace the smoking with something else...a different mini-reward. During the first month I would have a spoonful of nonfat yogurt or cottage cheese. Some people use candy. Some people use ice cold water. Hmm....I just thought of a new one....putting on good-smelling lotion. Would keep your hands busy and give your senses a treat. Gotcha on the iced tea...interesting that you've identified that's what you were using it for. Anyway, you're doing great! -aloha [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $530.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
16 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fly, Glad to hear you're hanging in there. The good news is that after the first three days, there is a dramatic improvement. It is so important that you pamper yourself during this critical time. It was suggested to me that during the first week to try some fruit juice since withdrawal seems to affect your glucose levels. Keep doing what you're doing and shout if you feel the need. Boxerfan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 71 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,278 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $355.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
16 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello to one and all! Day two has begun with a much brighter outlook. I decided to apply the new patch before going to bed ... just a gut feeling that I want the nicotine boost in me when I wake up. I did wake up too early this morning (4am), but after words of encouragement here and from my quitting partner, I'm giving myself carte blanche to sleep whenever I feel the need. "Am I reading you right that you have cut out caffeine at the same time?" Yes - you read the right. Funny thing I've realized - after some 30-odd years of incessant iced tea drinking, I've discovered that it was nothing more than a smoking aid ... it cooled and moistened my mouth and throat, allowing me to smoke one after the other with more comfort. I don't miss it one bit ... but I'm sure caffeine withdrawal headaches will set in fast and furious ... I really was a hardcore caffeine junky. For now, I'm trying to force at least a couple glasses of the stuff into myself throughout the day, to avoid a head-on full-force assault of both nicotine and caffeine withdrawal. I'm switching to water for now ... again, on the advice of all the helpful members here and my quitting partner. To be honest (and this might change at any moment) I really don't feel any nicotine withdrawal - no horrific urge to smoke in order to supply a fresh dose of addictive substance (that's 319,375 doses of one of the most addictive substances known to man ... but who's counting ...) What I do feel, is the sudden and harsh psychological withdrawal from an activity that I performed at least 25 times per day for the past 35 years ... that is the part of this that is causing me problems at this point. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 25 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1.30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6

Reading this thread: