Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Cold turkey or NRT that is a question

17 years ago 0 290 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There seems to be a few different schools of thought about what is a "best" way to quit. I, for instance think mine is the "best", because it is working for me. I thought it would be helpful for new or aspiring quitters to see a demographic of the people on this site of what method they chose to quit: cold turkey, various types of NRT's or prescription drugs ie:zyban, Wellbutrin, Chantix etc.. I ask this question: How did you quit and why did you choose this method? This is for information purposes only, make an informed decision with your physician. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 502 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $115 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cold Turkey has been successful for me, it's the only method I have ever tried. This is my 2nd quit, the first lasted about a week. I agree that the most important thing is to make sure your desire to quit must exceed your desire to keep smoking. If this is not the case NO method will help you, and you will fail. SO Reading and researchind are good pre-quit tools, to ensure you are informed and really want to quit. All of the people I have seen falter have done so because they weren't ready for a live without smoking; They were quitting for a significant other, or because their dentist told them to, or because a family member died of cancer... None of these are enough. So, the NRT I used was desire and will power. Congratulations to everyone here K [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 58 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 469 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $200.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$545,472.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4206 Hours: 6

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cold turkey because I am the sort of person who has no self control when it comes to moderation. I tried to use the gum about 3 months ago and I just kept feeling like the gum was taking just enough of the edge off of my cravings to annoy me. So my junkie self kept thinking, well, now you're getting hooked on gum so why don't you just smoke - and I did. If I am going to go through cravings (which as we all know are no fun) I want to go through them for the least amount of time possible even though it comes at the expense of the highest level of discomfort. As far as the drugs go, I think I would have tried Chantrix if I'd known about it. It sounds almost like the nicotiene vaccines they are coming up with that keep you from getting the right buzz from smoking. The anti-depresents just sort of scared me (probably unfounded) because of hearing about some people getting anxious on them. I know they help a lot of people though. I hate writing this in one respect: I don't want people to think that I think I have the RIGHT way to quit smoking. To each his own and whatever works works. Number one most important thing though is to have a place like this where you can post and read and get support from people who are also quitting or have quit. QM [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 955 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $188 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dune, Thought I'd add my own personal experience here. I used the NRT gum years ago and managed to quit for an entire year. Personal life drama and I began smoking again. 2 years ago I was forced to quit smoking while in the hospital and I began the patch and lasted 7 weeks. Personal life drama and I began smoking again. And now on this, my last quit, I studied my butt off, armed myself with lots of knowledge on this site, prepared my coping strategies and began taking the smoking cessation aid Chantix. My quit is now at 37 days and I feel very empowered. Personal life drama has come and gone and I just didn't reach for a cigarette. The point is that you have to find what works for you! And that can be very different for everyone. Debbie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 754 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $138.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit cold turkey when I was in my early thirties..lasted for 2 years. My hubby and I quit together..he failed..then I failed. He quit later 1997 (for good..I've had more of a problem, but, as you can see by my quitmeter..I am on my way). I've tried using gum, patches, anything before..this time is cold turkey. I know this will work for me. Love y'all,,whatever gets you through the night..s'alright..s'alright (to q john lennon) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 60 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,829 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $495 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 318 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Chantix with a big desire to stop. I just can't understand NRT. How do you stop something if you keep using it? Just torture yourself longer in my opinion. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 76 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,042 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $684 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
17 years ago 0 117 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cold turkey :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 149 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,988 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $484.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I went to a hypnosis seminar....I had started on the Wellbutrin about 10 days before, not knowing about the seminar, went at the last minute. I think the combination of the two have worked best for me. I was also SO DONE with being a smoker!! Terri [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 67 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,019 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $238.52 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 132 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I really wanted my quit to be successful so I used the patches. The patches made me feel that I was doing the right thing. I have tried cold turkey in the past and failed so trying the same thing over and over all while expecting different results = insanity. I tried not to be too insane this time. So far they haven't locked me up ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 76 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,921 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $608 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Kaiti! Great job on your quit too!! Keep up the good work and enjoy the way your hair and clothes smell at the end of the day:-) My mom also said that at least my lungs aren't filling up with all of that nasty smoke and thousands of other chemicals. The gum almost seems harmless compared to the actual act of smoking (hehehe)......but seriously, you are right, quiting the gum will come when it's time.

Reading this thread: