Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,658 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ, Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA

Cold turkey or NRT that is a question

17 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So far cold turkey works for me, but it doesn't for my other half. Stopped after (during!) Allen Carr Clinic and using nothing at all. (Which I still find rather odd) I smoked 20-30 a day, so did my boyfriend. I don't have withdrawal symptoms as such, or rather I don't crave the cigarettes constantly, but I do have times where I really really want one as a distraction. Also, I write. Well, I *did* write. Last time I quit my brain dried up - and now it's doing the same thing again. I can't seem to get the stories onto paper anymore. :(
17 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cold turkey with the help of Alan Carr's book. Being afraid of the damages that smoking is doing to my body (tinlges in hands and feet) is making me lose sleep!
  • Quit Meter

$51,161.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 780 Hours: 4

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
First three days used patch with NRT gum. Now using only patch and plan on doing the whole program because it is working and I don't want the cold turkey withdrawals. Tried cold turkey in the past and couldn't stand the severe headaches I would get. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 367 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $114.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In the past I have used the patch---wanted to rip that damn thing off, roll it up and smoke it! Then I tried the gum and got sores in my mouth, a sore throat and a headache, not to mention tired jaws. Right now I am going cold turkey, but I am hearing so much about chantix that I'm considering trying warm chicken if symptoms don't let up soon. I'm pretty much a wimpette. But I have a desire to quit. I have smoked for forty years and I'm only 51 years old. I don't quite remember what it's like to NOT smoke. I want to find out. I know this site has helped me trememdously. Thanks all! ---Jada--- :) :) :) :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 173 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $33.36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think cold turkey is best...for me. I tried patches, but I like the idea of detoxing as quick as possible instead of dragging it on with nrt. As for Wellbutrin, it made me eat so much! xx mg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/27/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 66 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19.65 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am using Chantix. I have tried cold turkey in the past, and I do feel that the Chantix is helping. Symptoms don't seem as severe. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 223 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $42 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well put Dunedad. I agree with you 100%. You have to want to be smoke free...that is the first step. Hey, we are at 4 weeks tomorrow...can you believe it. Early congrats to you!!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 609 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $148.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
Great Thread Dunedad, patches for me and lot's of hot tea.... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 561 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $137.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
Keelei, My husband also used the gum to quit chewing. That was a year ago. He still uses the gum sometimes (once or twice a day), but I would rather have him doing that than smoking or chewing. He'll give up the gum when he is ready and so will you. Great job on your quit!! Kaiti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 983 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $242 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 290 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
All great replies everybody!! I think Katy summed it: [quote] "best" is wanting to quit "more" than you want to smoke. [/quote] I agree, I wholeheartedly desired to quit. I am on Wellbutrin and the patch. I did not think there was another alternative , really. I mean I tried Years ago cold turkey. No support site, nothing. I didnt last a day. Now having gone almost a month, I am going to continue with my reccomended course and be done with nicotine in due time, it took me 25 years to get as hooked as I was on nicotine, I am in no rush to get unhooked, as well. One day at a time. Having gone the 1st month..on wellbutrin.....on the patch...On the SSC....I still would have failed if I didnt want to quit. I believe that is something we all have in common here at the SSC, cold turkey or not.--Kevin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 539 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $119.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28

Reading this thread: