Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

catching the bus

16 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks everyone for the kind words :)

i didn't catch the first bus as i thought it was too full, caught the second one okay and got back okay too (only slight feelings of panic arising which i managed to 'control'). only hitch was going to the doctor and fining out my blood pressure was high! i think it may be related to the panic though as my blood pressure hasn't been high for ages.. so i have to go back again.. but then i will catch the bus again and think i'm going to get into a cycle of high readings.. oh well, we'll see i guess!!

16 years ago 0 341 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI Georgie, i'm the same as you, if i do something like the bus ride, then i can have my fav drink at starbucks.
Definitely have your har done, its so relaxing doing that, and thats a huge reward.  I also try my ipod, or i talk to the
driver, i tend to ramble on sometimes so once i'm talking I get distracted.   Let us know how it goes.
I have to get taking the bus again myself. 
16 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Georgie..

Sounds like you had a great "plan" to get yourself there.. I hope it went well and getting your hair done is a definate must have treat!! 

I find my Ipod is great for distracting my thoughts... especially "old school" rock from being in HS... lol... nothing like a litte bit of trashy Poison to take my anxious thoughts away...

Take care :)
16 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Let us know how it goes Georgie!

You absolutely deserve the hair appointment... sure you may feel some panic or anxiety but the point is you're challenging yourself
and going through with it. Sometimes in life we just have to do things and get them over with even if we are nervous. Reward yourself
for simply doing it!

16 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today I have a doctor's appointment (nerve-wracking in itself as it's a new doctor and my last doctor experience was less than pleasant) but on top of this, I have to catch a bus to the place. Catching buses is something I avoid where possible and I can feel the anxiety builing in the pit of my stomach right now.

When I start to get a bit anxious I think of how I can prepare for catching the bus:

- When I think I can't do it, remember the times I have done it - and even those times when I've had a panic attack, I've done it or the panic has subsided soon after
- I have my panic surfing worksheets so I can "ride the wave"
- Water, ipod, enjoy the scenery
- Have times of buses so if don't catch first one, know another one will be there soon, so can catch it

After the doctor's appointment I booked in to get my hair done as a treat. Though sometimes (as I am still challenging my warped thinking) I think that I don't deserve a treat if I can't make the bus trip panic free - however if I make the bus trip, that is the main thing!

I think it's the anticipation that's the worst sometimes.. still got three hours before the 'event'.

This post was more just to get my thoughts sorted out and to calm myself down.. will have to update everyone on how it goes! 

Reading this thread: