Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Small Steps Equal Success

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sodium is a killer in large amounts. Watching the salt is a full time job for those of us who can't eat it if we want to live. It is in every processed food we buy. So the only way to deal with it is to eat fresh produce or frozen maybe. Canned foods are practically pure sodium..So we take our diuretics and eat the processed stuff during emergencies only other wise we may find ourselves in a real emergency laying in some emergency room. I started the New Year in the hospital last year and don't want to do that again this year..

That's it. My New Years Resolution and I have a head start on it..I will do whatever I can to stay away from the ER again this coming year..Eating healthy and staying out of the ER if possible is my goal..If I decide to have surgery before the first the year I will consider that a separate issue..Just hope I don't end up in the ER because of the surgery that's all.

Oh well!  I do find life to be very scary at times for me now a days. 

Red..

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Salt. Why salt? Well because one of the things that bothers me is getting over weight. After weeks of reducing my consumption and type of food I was actually gaining weight. And my blood pressure was going up. Because of the Cataracts I stock piled some foods that were convenient to use. The thing is all these store bought foods are loaded with salt. I only did this incase I couldn't drive to the store. Canned tomatoes instead of fresh. canned mushrooms, perogies sausages, cheese on the lasagna. Salt salt salt. And I don't use salt. And I don't eat much for a male so imagine if I did. 
Doctor thinks I have water retention so he gave me a diuretic. Down came the blood pressure. A lot in fact. Okay, now to see if the weight comes down.
How do you salt consumers do it? Actually it isn't salt but half of the salt, sodium. There is sodium in other things too. No salt in my bread but I can't live on that. That leaves oatmeal, my frozen vegetables, potatoes, fish, chicken, meat and milk.
Apples, raspberries and other berries. I should be able to manage a balance with those. 
Making bread with nine grains and seeds in it. Potatoes for supper and possibly a piece of chicken. I'm not really hungry.
Surprising how much being overweight bothers me. I know a few people that are a hundred pounds over weight.  It would kill me. Not to mention putting too much pressure on my joints.  So here we go, back to as little salt as possible.

Davit. 

PS going to look up foods with Iodine in them.
Update.....

I Got a lot done today and yesterday. Today I spent the day steam cleaning carpets. Plus!!

My call to the dentist earlier this week payed off. He saw me yesterday and adjusted my crowns so I am feeling much better..No more tooth pain.

The email that I sent to my doctors last week payed off  too. My Primary care doctor emailed back last week and said I am fit for surgery and the Surgeon had his nurse call me today and is seeing me next week so we can discuss surgery on my two hernias again.

I met my share of cost cap of 3000 dollars again this year so anything I have done for the rest of this year will be covered 100% by my health insurance. So if things work out when I see the surgeon again next Thursday, he and I will be scheduling my surgery before the first of the year..

So it seems that all these steps that I have taken, Phone calls, Emails, Appointments, and Tests are finally beginning to come to fruition and will be resolved one way or another soon..

Red..
Hi Vincenza,

Thanks as always for the Adda boy's..Every bit of encouragement propels me further ahead...

In answer to your question. How do I feel on a mental/emotional level now that I have made these changes...

Well, actually I am feeling very relieved and the fact that I am finally seeing some positive results is like the icing on the cake.

I never believed that these changes in my diet would make a difference but I was willing to give it a try and see what happened. I really had nothing to lose at this point and to my surprise it seems to be really working.

I do labs again at the end of december and am looking forward to seeing how they come out and even if they are not what I am wanting I am reminding myself that the main thing for me to remember is that I set out to do this so I would Feel Better and as long as I feel better I have accomplished my goal..

I said in my post I had been eating low carb high fat for two weeks but I just noticed today it's been 3 weeks already. I had lots of energy today and was walking and moving a good clip all day..It felt really great both emotionally and physically. I am hoping to continue on in a positive way..  

Red

Hi Davit,

I eat the cheese or peanut in the late evening too and for the reasons you mentioned. Before I ate toast in the evening or ice cream and would get up in the morning to a high blood sugar running around 165, now I eat my peanut butter or cheese it is 129 when I get up in the mornings which is a lot better, but I still need to improve on that number.

I agree it is a bit tough giving up all most all of your favorite foods and carbs. It's kind of like quitting any addiction I think..Like when I quit smoking at first it was hard but as the days went by I started to feel better and better so it became easier over time and now I hardly ever think about it. Another one is drinking alcohol I gave up drinking 10 years ago and now I never think about having or taking a drink at all. It always was pure poison for me, so I don't miss it at all..

Change is really good sometimes it just takes a little getting used to.

Red...

I don't know about everyone else but I'm finding the change a bit difficult. Not impossible though and when I fall off the wagon I just get back on and start over. It doesn't matter because each time I do I'm still a little farther down the road. It isn't that much different from CBT, just do it till it becomes the norm not the exception. It is going to work.

Davit
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red, 
Great to hear you are taking proactive steps and making your health a priority!  So many evident benefits already! How do you feel on a mental/emotional level having made these changes?

Vincenza, Health Educator
Interesting that in the States corn is subsidized and in Canada wheat is. So if you are going to grow a crop why not grow one with a guarantied income. Just like eggs and milk. So what are we supposed to do with all this corn and wheat especially since it has been modified to produce more. Well, put it in everything to use it up. Is it bad for us or is it just the volume. Seems rice and soy are modified also. So what does it leave. Oats? But that one is processed unless you buy large flake unprocessed. Barley and rice have all the goodness scrubbed off them. In milk production, oats produces more milk than barley. In eggs wheat produces more eggs with oats a second and barley down the line.
Chickens will produce for five years but go for soup after one year because by then efficiency drops. Cows will produce milk for around thirteen but are replaced sooner. The point being, what does it matter, they live no where as long as man who has more time to accumulate damage. What happens to wheat germ. it certainly is not in my flour, because it goes rancid. Just like butter that is no good too, it goes rancid too. Fat is fat, no matter where it comes from.
but hydrogenated oils are full of preservatives and stabilizers and made from oils from modified plants. So it seems to me that if you are going to use some of these bad plants and foods to use them in moderation and use more of the safer foods. Adding cracked or rolled grain is better than ground or pre cooked or converted. And contrary to belief you can cook with olive oil as long as the heat is not to high. There is a nine grain cereal that can be added to bread. If your diet is real bad then even a small change can help.

Davit
Hugs....
Thanks for trying to lighten it up a bit. Sounds yummy..in the tummy..

On a more serious note;

To bad the Corn and Wheat supply has been genetically modified in this country and who know how many other countries..The conclusion in the book "Wheat belly" is that this grain causes lots of damage to the body and also is part of the reason why obesity has hit epidemic numbers here in the u.s. and some other countries too. Russia has banned Monsanto and chastised the American government for allowing a American company to pollute the World Food Supply..

Red...
Red

When I was in hospital I noticed in the evening all the diabetics got a piece of cheese plus, peanut butter on crackers in the evening. I wonder if it was to keep the liver from dumping glycogens into the blood stream. Breakfast was always at eight in the morning. Supper was at five thirty.

Hugs 

I have to be a very hungry puppy to eat more than two slices of bread in any one day, even if it is fresh from the oven.

Reading this thread: