Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Small Steps Equal Success

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Ashley, Davit and Hugs..

I got in 3000 more steps and burned 200 more calories before the days end and for a reward I cooked a tasty healthy dinner and now I am just about to sit down and take a look at a new quilting magazine that I received in the mail today..So it turned out to be a very good day today. I was able to keep tight controls on my diabetes and blood glucose by sticking to a low carb diet and doing my exercise. I am still learning how to do this and am feeling good about the progress I have made so far. Oh I forgot to mention I ordered myself a book from Amazon last night called the "Diabetes Solution" that someone recommended in my online diabetes support group and it is way its in the mail..So I guess that is a gift to myself too..The gift of health and life that is..

Davit,
It looks like you got off to a good start today with your new diet plan too. There is lots to learn so it should be very interesting experience..

Hugs,
It looks like you got a head start on us with you healthy eating cooking class..Maybe you can give us a few tips and when you take the class in glycemic cooking I sure hope you share a few tidbits with us here..

Will I got to go my magazine is waiting..
Talk to you all later..

Red...

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Taking a healthy cooking course changed my eating habits.  The certificate has a glycemic cooking course, too, so I'll add it to my "bucket" list.

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red

Now that is dedication. 

I got a glycemic index chart and was horrified to find that dates which I love are the highest on the chart. 
I started off good this morning with two eggs and a thin slice of salt free egg free multi grain bread and black tea for breakfast. Lunch was a few breakfast sausages boiled to get rid of the fat then lightly fried in olive oil and an apple of my own. Supper will be onions and cabbage mixed with hamburger and rice. Heavy on the cabbage and rice.

I had intended to have large flake oats but I'm out of milk and far to sore to go get any. I couldn't walk as far as the garage to get the car. If I could the owners of the store would bring my groceries out to me so I didn't have to go in. They are nice that way. Maybe tomorrow. 

Still no snow which is okay by me even though I find it pretty when the trees are covered. Temp are dropping at night and not coming up much during the day. Snow would be good to cover the flower beds

430 carbs for the walk plus your baseline which I can't remember. I know just staying warm and being alive uses quite a few. Even thinking and sleeping burn them.

Going to look for an eggless pudding. I guess I could use egg beaters if they don't have too much crap in them. This isn't for me, my cholesterol is excellent. But fat is still fat.

Foods on my no no list so far are corn and russet potatoes. Both subsidized by the Govt. Cheddar cheese and other high fat cheeses. I'm not allowed grapefruit or oranges with my medication and I like oranges. Every thing else I'm limiting.

I need to buy apricots instead of bananas for potassium. Less sugar. They grow in California. not so much in Canada. I would use them in cookies instead of raisins.

Davit
10 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds great Red!

You do deserve a reward

Ashley, Health Educator
I am off to a good start today and have been out and about since 8 a.m.
I Walked 7,330 steps 3.47 miles and burned 430 calories so far today.
I Ate a low carb, low sodium, low sugar, low GI glycemic index diet today

1. Cheese and vegetable Omelet, plus black coffee 
2. Snack...a half a apple and a half a orange. after walking 3.47 miles 
3. Lunch half cup plain non fat Greek yogurt, with 4 walnuts halves, 2 slices of apple and 8 raisins.

I guess it is time for a little reward..not sure what that will be but it is something else positive to think about this afternoon..

The end..
Red
  :)

Today I met my goals for the day.
It was a good day..

Red..
10 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Changing diets is a hard task, especially when trying to find what works and what is also healthy. Too often we get lost in the current fads that sweep Hollywood.

But it sounds like you are both doing well following yours, I wish you good luck in sticking to them.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red,
I'm resisting the urge to be self-critical, since I've radically changed my diet too.  How I wish I "knew" this before, but I apparently have great genes, except for this little forum I have to attend, along with perfectionism, procrastination, ....oh well - it could be a lot worse
I take that back. I do have a goal I have been working..I have been changing my diet. Right now I am making adjustments and am eating a Low carb, High fat diet. LCHF plus low sodium..

I am on a low sodium diet, low carb diet. Low carbs meaning no white bread, white flour, white potatoes, white rice. I just cut out most grains in my diet too except for steel cut oatmeal or old fashioned whole oat meal, and I eat no table sugar and no processed food please.

For the last week 10 days I have been sticking to strict LCHF diet..Meaning I eat Eggs, Lean meat, cheese, nuts, fresh vegetables, and a little fruit that being apples..My Blood Sugar Levels have come way down as has my blood pressure..Next I am hoping to see some weight reduction too..If not I will tweak my diet some more..and stop eating cheese too..The sodium and fat contend in cheese may be to high for me with my heart disease..

So thats what I have been doing and the steps I have taken so far to eat healthy..I also try to get in 35 minutes of some type of continue exercise every day and also do a little exercise if my Blood sugar is elevated. It takes very little to lower it..15 minutes of walking, house work, or a little gardening..All I have to do is shut off the computer and get moving in some way...Thats it.. 

Well got to go for now and get to it. 
I need to fix a health breakfast and get moving again..
Have a great day everyone..

Red..

No goals for today. Going kick back and let the day happen...

Red...

Reading this thread: