Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Small Steps Equal Success

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I ate most of a loaf of whole wheat bread over 24 hours on the weekend.  What worries me is that most of that is just whole wheat flour.

Does that mean I have a "wheat belly"?   I never eat much bread, but coming fresh from a bread machine just was such a treat!

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Still learning and working on healthy choices and exercise as they relate to my Type 2 diabetes and Heart disease
I got in lots of steps and miles walking with my Pedometer the last few days. Plus have be working on my diet.

I made some changes to my diet 2 weeks ago. I have elemated wheat and grains from my diet and started eating a LCHF diet, low carb high fat. I have noticed that I no longer have any gastric pain. My BP has come way down and my blood sugar/blood glucose is running 107 after meals but my FBS fasting blood sugar is still high in the mornings at 127 so I am still working on it and trying to find out why and what to do about it. Also I am finally beginning to see some weight loss too!

I am making progress and am learning with the help of books, who would of thought! Thats right real books.

I did sent my primary doctor a email letting him know that I need more help managing my diabetes..Plus I left my dentist a message on his machine tonight telling him I need to come in to see him because 2 of my new crowns are hurting me. I have received not call backs yet, maybe next week?

So basically I have putting my fears and panic aside so that I can focus on doing what I need to do to take of myself.
The anxiety is still there but I am burying it by taking positive action and reading all I can so I can learn how to manage my health issues.. 

I Bought a few books over the last two weeks and have spend most of the day today reading..

The Diabetes Solution by Richard Bernstein MD
Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution by Dr. Robert Atkins MD
Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD

Well back to the books than early to bed..

Red..

10 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very true but it's hard to change your diet. It can be done though. I'm trying an organic/nature diet. It's hard and doesn't happen overnight. I might try to limit my gluten intake eventually. I'm probably going to make an appt with my doctor in January to get my physical early. Get some blood work done to make sure I'm ok.
I am having Stevia in my coffee this morning instead of sugar or splenda. No creamer of any kind either..
I do prefer white cane sugar so I may start drinking my coffee black instead. It's not to bad really..

Red..

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What you eat and how much can affect how you feel and this can affect your anxiety level.

Davit.

Add a couple of coffees with cream and sugar and you have half your daily intake without the vitamins and minerals.
10 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:/ I use to eat this banana nut muffin that was sold at 7-11. I liked it, tasted great. Well over a year ago when I started counting calories I was shocked to learn that this average muffin was over 700 calories! I read that the average sugar and salt we need in our lives come naturally from fruits and veggies. Salt is big thing, because people don't realize how much they are using.
I had forgot about the collapsed vertebrae at the bottom of my back where the nerves go out to my legs. It is possible the fall pinched one. I can still walk just not well. I can still cook and do dishes. Laundry can be put off for a few days. I can use the electric heat or just make some cookies to heat the kitchen.  I want Hermits but they are not exactly low GI. but they are a soft cookie. with pumpkin apple dates and raisins. Spices. Brown sugar instead of white.

I'll just have to make them small. and eat fewer.

Did you know a store bought bran muffin has more sugar than a regular muffin. And it doesn't need that much if you put apple in it. It also has too much soda.
A spartan apple has 20% more sugar than a Goodland.  Pumpkins have more sugar than other squash. 
Ketchup has enough salt and sugar in it that it doesn't have to be refrigerated.
French fries are soaked in sugar water to make them turn golden. 

Davit
Hi Davit, Thanks for the tips on the potatoes and pasta and the best way to cook them to lower the GI. I just found my Stevia in the cupboard so am having it in my coffee and tea today..

Sorry about your leg and the pain that is getting worse...Maybe it's time to see the doctor for a little x ray..What to you think? Can you drive their yourself if you decide to go or find someone to drive you there?  Not trying to be nosy just wondering how your making out this afternoon...

As for myself I did get a little exercise in today when we went to to big box grocery store to get my probiotics this morning..My sugar came down and I am relaxing at home and have a pot of vegetable stew on the stove..I am letting my gastric system rest today and am not eating much..Just keeping it plan and simple..I might have put to much pepper in the stew though. Oh well I can always water it down before I eat it..

I hope you leg gets to feeling a little better this afternoon..If not than I think you should get it looked at..
I know bossy aren't I.

Red..
Red

Not only does the type of food affect GI but how it is cooked. Part of this is digestibility and speed of release. 
Red potatoes and sweet potatoes are lower than russets, but to get them lower eat them boiled or baked in their skins and cold. A hot mashed russet is the highest. Whole wheat el dente pasta is lower than mushy macaroni. Low fat meat sauce is lower than without. Peppers and onions although sweet are low GI. I like the coloured pasta. 

Breakfast was a multi grain bread and peanut butter sandwich cut in half and separated by two hours. Black tea and pain killers for my leg that is getting worse. I like Stevia in my tea but don't have any right now. Lunch is going to be dill and zucchini soup and a sausage or chicken breast. Physical activity is very limited right now so calorie intake has to match. 
I have a recumbent exercise bike but can't find the power pack for it. 

It has started to snow and is very pretty even though they are only small flakes. Cats are sleeping, they don't see the beauty in the snow, only the cold.

More tea, 

Davit
Davit,
 I love dates too and raisins and toast and baked potatoes and hot tea with real sugar in it too...
Nobody said this was going to be easy..He sure lied didn't he. I wish I could get that little nobody over here and tell him how hard this is..Oh well I guess I will just have to hang tough as usual..

My stomach hurts a lot today and my went went up this morning after getting up..They call it DP  dawn dumping..You wake up and test you blood glucose it looks good not perfect but good than about 10 minutes later your liver says Hey you haven't eaten in a while and it dumps glucose into your blood stream..You can try to eat some protein before bed and see if that helps and sometimes it does. This morning I had some yogurt within 5 minutes of getting out of bed trying to beat this liver dumping but it didn't work. So it looks like I will have to get in some exercise early this morning again to bring it down and my stomach hurts this morning..So the exercise will have to wait..It is beginning to looking like I may need to start take meds eventually to get this under control. I see the doc again in late December..If he can't help me than I guess I will ask to see endocrinologist and see what he or she can do...I hope somebody can help me I am getting sick and tired of this nobody person for sure..

This is so hard sometimes..I just hate it...

I am going to rest this morning and see if I can get rid of my tummy ache..I just may have to eat a brat diet today..

Red..

Reading this thread: